Remembrance Day

Soldiers by kait lilley

Write a paragraph outlining your opinion if Ontario should make Remembrance Day be a holiday.
Why do you think this?

What reasons do you have to back up your opinions?

We are all interested to hear about your opinion and read your ideas.

20 Comments on Remembrance Day

1. Megan
    November 5, 2008 at 1:52 pm (15 years ago)

I don’t think Remembrance Day should be a holiday because you don’t learn on holidays you just play and most of your parents will be at work especially my parents. I also think it should not be a holiday because you’d learn a lot more at school and do fun activities for remembrance day Like read Books on world wars and why war happens.
    That’s why I think remembrance day should not be a holiday.

2. marcel
    November 5, 2008 at 2:04 pm (15 years ago)

hi my name is marcel and i think we should have a day off of school on rememberance because we should stay home and remember those people who fought in the war for us so we can have peace and if it wheren’t for them we might of been slaves right now and i wouldn’t be typing this right this moment

3. Dante Jakupovski
    November 5, 2008 at 2:06 pm (15 years ago)

I say Remembrance Day should be a holiday because if you go to work and school and you have to do something important you have to stop. You won’t be remembering, you would be focused on the thing you have to do.
    If were at home we would be remembering because you won’t be distracted by anything. But your mom or dad would tell you to turn the t.v. off.

4. Sameer
    November 5, 2008 at 2:09 pm (15 years ago)

Remeberance Day…. A day where ou can see thousands of soldiers in the Canadian Army those people who sacirficed there lives to make it how it is today. A day where everyone wheres a poppy to say that I’m happy of what these soldiers did for me. So with these lines you have read i would say yes it should be a holiday. ( Not in a offense to say it’s good they have died. ) Because they have sacrificed a whole life should’nt we just take a day for those soldiers and hold like a remebrance ceremony in the morning and then let the adults. ( Such as Megans mom )to tell there kids how it was like in the war and you can do that in the ceremony because to me not trying to be rude but if I was in a ceremony and just talked and seen something that one of the teachers points of Rememberance day I would’nt really enjoyed it as much as hearing it from your parent, grandfather, or anyothers would be interesting. So this speaking from my mind that I would say yes I would want to take a day off for those brave souls who died for us.

Hope you liked what I said!!!

5. amber
    November 5, 2008 at 2:12 pm (15 years ago)

I say yes for having Remembrance Day a holiday. I think this because soldiers are risking their lives for us and our country. Some of them did not make it and got killed and that is what we need to remember, respect and thank them for what they did.This holiday would not be a chance to go party, but it will be about paying our respect to those soldiers who died. That is my opinion about having Remembrance Day a holiday.

6. Manish
    November 5, 2008 at 2:35 pm (15 years ago)

Remembrance Day should be a holiday because it is a day to honor the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and of civilians in times of war, specifically since the First World War. Also the banks and government workers get the day of we should too.

7. zoha
    November 5, 2008 at 2:41 pm (15 years ago)

HOLIDAY,on Remembrance day.YES! There should be a holiday on Remembrance Day. First of all if there is a holiday children can also attend memorial services or perform in these services.Secondly, you can also join in remembering the Canadian troops who died in the war.Third of all you can sing the national anthem/oh Canada for soldiers that died in war.this is why there should be no school on Remembrance Day!

8. ali
    November 5, 2008 at 2:46 pm (15 years ago)

Remembrance day should be a holiday in Ontario.If it was a holiday,then we would be able to take a chance to remember the men and women who fought in the world wars.It should be because they helped make Canada a more free part in the world.If they didn’t fight,we might be in total chaos and Canada might have to be ran by very evil people.If it was a holiday here,thousands of families in Ontario would be able to go and see their family members who fought and be able to appreciate what those people did for all of Canada.We would be able to also have a break from school.That is why Ontario should have Remembrance day as a holiday.

9. Moksha
    November 5, 2008 at 2:51 pm (15 years ago)

We should have a holiday because we should stand up and say that thank you for all that help that you did for us and remember them with peace and quite. There should be peace and quite because they gave us that peace and quite and we should take it really seriously and thank them. They gave their lives for us and if we would be their then we would say “no” right because we don’t care about our country and they did that’s why we are here in Canada. We should be at home and remember those people who fighted for us to give us peace and that’s why we should have a day off to remember them and people should not work for the half of the day. That’s why I think that we should have a day off.

10. Niraj
    November 5, 2008 at 3:08 pm (15 years ago)

I Niraj think Remembrance day should NOT be a holiday for kids to take a day off of school. Sure those brave and strong soliders went out to war for our freedom, but if kids would get a whole day of I’m thinking those kids are going to play on computer, watch t.v. and those things. They won’t spend one minute of silence to remember those soldiers who fought and died for the country, what will they be doing at the time you ask, sitting in front of the t.v. watching a movie with popcorn! When at school to improve your reading and writing as you can have your teacher hand out short stories and then questions to make sure you read that paragragh. As I restate my opinion I think Ontario should not make remembrance day a HOLIDAY!! Thank you, thank you.

11. Manish
    November 5, 2008 at 3:26 pm (15 years ago)

is a day to commemorate the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and of civilians in times of war, specifically since the First World War.Also banks, people who work with the government get a day off so we should too

12. Amira
    November 5, 2008 at 3:46 pm (15 years ago)

Remembrance day

I think that remembrance day should be a holiday so we can remember the soldiers who fought and sacurficed their souls for our freedom.So we can remember what they have done to our country.The next reason i say we should have a day off of school because some of these soldiers were young when they fought and some of them wanting to return to their families.Some of these soldigers wanted to make peace and they had succeed but died.So we are here to pass on the stories that happened in the two great wars.So on this day you should remember what they have done to us.You probably would not talk English in Canada so take NOVEMBER 11to remember what they have done fore us.

13. Niharika
    November 5, 2008 at 4:00 pm (15 years ago)

Ontario should have a holiday on Rememberance day because……
    People who had grandparents or great great grandparents fought in world wars so they can visit the grave yards to thank them.Also rememberance day is a canadian celebration and everyone should get a holiday off.I also think we should have a holiday is because rememberance day is a great holiday to thank the army for giving the country PEACE.
    Posted by,
    NIharika 🙂 8)

14. nick
    November 5, 2008 at 4:36 pm (15 years ago)

Remembrance day should be a holaday because that day we should remember the peple that died in the war.

15. Aqsa
    November 5, 2008 at 4:54 pm (15 years ago)

I think Rememberence Day SHOULD NOT be a holiday ’cause
    then you cant learn all about Rememberence Day, and you wont know what to do. Also ’cause some people would just
    be glued to the computer all day, and wont even care that its Rememberence Day. Trust me, that always happens. Everyone thinks that a holiday is a time to goof off and have some fun. If Rememberence Day was a holiday,everyone would be goofing off, and not caring about the people who fought in war. The people who cared. The people who loved. The people who just wanted to go back to their families,thinking that the war was just some horrible nightmare.That people they cared about didn’t die.That the war hasnt even started

That is why I think that Rememberence Day SHOULD NOT be a holiday

Yours Spongy,
    Aqsa
    ( Why did I just say that?!?! )

16. Tara Tomlinson
    November 5, 2008 at 5:46 pm (15 years ago)

Rememberance day should be a holiday because in every other province in Canada it is a holiday, except for Quebec and Ontario. What if parents or family members wanted to take their kids to a cemetary? Or people could have some one who went to any of the world wars so they would want to go and honour them. Rememberance day is a special day and lots of people would want to honour the people that fought for Canada. We can do it at school or work but what if we were going somewhere to give thanks for that day?

BY:TARA

17. Ayesha
    November 5, 2008 at 6:35 pm (15 years ago)

I think Remembrance Day SHOULD NOT be a holiday because we can remember the people who fought in World War l and World War ll at school or work and don’t need a holiday.
    We can remember, honour and respect the soldiers who fought for freedom at school or work by sparing a time when everybody gets together to remember what the soldiers did for us and our country and what we can do to help their cause. Whatever the soldiers did for our country was for the betterment and by staying at home for a holiday we’re not serving the purpose. By going to school or work will help us achieve the goals that will be beneficial for our country and in this way, we can support the work the soldiers did.
    We should not let the sacrifice of those one hundred thousand Canadian lives be meaningless by wasting that one day as a holiday when in reality, most of the people and kids spend that day (holiday) doing their chores, their pending work, playing or lazying around and don’t remember the soldiers and the hardships they faced in a way they really should do. They died for us, for their homes and families and friends, and a future they believed in; they died for Canada. We should get together at school or at work and remember their service and their sacrifice and recognize the freedom these men and women fought to preserve. During times of war, individual acts of heroism occur frequently; only a few are ever recorded and receive official recognition. By remembering all who have served, we recognize their hardships and fears, taken upon themselves so that we could live in peace. By paying more attention to our studies and work, we are helping improve our country which is similar to what those soldiers did in a way:
    WE BOTH ARE DOING SOMETHING FOR THE BETTER OF OUR COUNTRY, CANADA!! YOU CAN HELP!!!
    Those are my reasons why Remembrance Day SHOULD NOT be a holiday in Ontario.
    BY: AYESHA 🙂 😉 8) 😀

18. Cameron McCabe
    November 5, 2008 at 6:57 pm (15 years ago)

By:Cameron

Many of the soldiers died in the world wars so we have a free world. Also we waer poppies because that is what grew from the fields of the soldiers [in flanders feilds]. It sould be a holiday in Ontario because it is a day that we can remember the soldiers. The schools close so you can have time with your familly about the soldiers. If some people are doing activites they are morning the soldiers.

Sincerely , Cameron McCabe

19. Maddie
    November 5, 2008 at 7:13 pm (15 years ago)

I don’t think Remembrance Day should be a holiday for kids, because at home there are too many distractions and most kids would end up playing or watching T.V. At school we have a special assembly and a moment of silence, to remember those who fought and died in the war. I do think that adults should have Remembrance Day off because that would allow them time off to go to Remembrance Day ceremonies. Many years ago soldiers went to war to fight for our freedom and even today Canadian soldiers are risking their lives to keep peace. These soldiers deserve to be remembered and for one day a year, at least, we need to put aside our jobs and our play time to remember them.

Hope you all have a good Remembrance Day,
    From Maddie

20. Nikita
    November 5, 2008 at 8:27 pm (15 years ago)

Remembrance Day should not have holiday
    Because:
    People might not take time to remember the soldiers who has sacrifice their life for the freedom and peace. Instead of keeping silent for a few minutes people could be goofing around and not respecting them. Also people could have slept in late,watched t.v.or playing and did not stay silent at the time they should be/and did not pay respect or be thankful.

This is why I think that Remembrance Day should not have a holiday in Ontario.
    Nikita- 🙂 😀 😛 8) 😉