Is Hallowe’en the perfect treat or is the hype not worth it?

History of Hallowe’en: http://www.history.com/content/halloween

or http://www.halloweenhistory.org/

Write a paragraph outlining your position. Make sure you have an interesting opening sentence and an interesting closer.

Student example:

Trick-Or-Treat!Halloween is the best night ever!You can enjoy time with friends,eat candy and dress up as what every person or thing you want!It is the 2′nd best time to pull pranks on people.It is a scary, tasty, fun time.When ever i finish trick-or-treating i always trade candy with friends.Halloween is the 1 of the best holidays ever!HAPPY HALLOWEEN!-BOO!

or:

Hallowen is not a great holiday, if it’s a holiday shouldn’t you get a day off of school and work? Why isn’t it during the whole day? Why? I tell you why to scare you silly and for what, a little bit of candy! I could get some candy for less then a buck.
After you go trick or treating you go to bed thinking about monsters and stuff that could kill you after going to a very scary house. Lots of people that used to do it don’t what to do it any more. Why? Because it isn’t a good holiday. I don’t like to get scared. Do you?

Share your ideas.

23 Comments on Is Hallowe’en the perfect treat or is the hype not worth it?

1. Sofia
    October 18, 2010 at 5:50 pm (13 years ago)

BBBOOOO
    LOL
    HEEYY
    OMG HALLOWEEN IS FINALLY HHHEERREEEE !!

HALLOWEEN is ONE of my favourite holidays because you get to dress up as your favourite “thing”, you even get FREE CANDY. The great part of it is that no matter what age you are you still get to dress-up. The even better part is that you get to pull pranks on your family and friends thats what I love about halloween its one of the best holidays on earth.

Going trick or treating is one time you get to walk around and meet other people and you get to know the neighborhood if your new to the place.

anyways hope you have a great halloween when it comes and Mr.Woods icant believe you said that about HALLOWEEN im VERY DISSAPOINTED in you hhuuh

Love,
    Sofia.
    Sultani 😛

2. Ryan
    October 18, 2010 at 6:09 pm (13 years ago)

We should have Halloween because we get a day of from school, and it’s the best time to hang out with your friends. You get to have free candy and your parents can’t say no to you when you want a type of candy. On Halloween you can go in hunted houses and get to watch scary movies all night. You get so much candy and you get to count all of your candy.You get to trade your candy and go all over the place(city).Sometimes people give you 5 packs of manerdes!You get to wear scary and crazy costumes that where in a movie.

3. Selena Almeida
    October 18, 2010 at 6:37 pm (13 years ago)

TRICK-OR-TREAT! Hi my name is Selena and I am going to tell you about why I absolutley love Halloween. Haloween is the type of holiday were kids , teanagers and adults can dress up in COOL! costumes.It is also the time were you see scary and smiley jack-o-lanterns. Halloween is also a time were you go trick-or-treating and get so many treats like suckers,chips,chocolate and much more types of treats. boy oh boy how much I love HALLOWEEN!!!! By:SELENA ALMEIDA

4. Tanya
    October 18, 2010 at 6:42 pm (13 years ago)

Halloween is not a good time of year because if you want a new costume every year that is wasting money!
    1) Also when you get a costume you may want accessories so that makes your costume even more expensive. $$$$
    My second reason for not liking Halloween is that strangers come to your door for your candy.
    Plus I have a dog and she barks every time the bell rings!!!
    My third reason for not liking Halloween is that if you go out at NIGHT it is very dangerous.
    You go out door to door and there are strangers all around us giving us candy!
    What if something happened to the candy or gives you candy that is like a year old!
    I would like having normal candy but not horrible candy!
    My fourth reason is what happens if someone trips over your costume.
    Your costume is wrecked and next year you have to buy a new costume!
    So that is why I think Halloween is not a good time of year!!

By: Tanya Anand        

5. Jacob No
    October 18, 2010 at 7:28 pm (13 years ago)

We have to go to school on Halloween because it is not a national holiday. Anyways, waiting a long time at home until you go trick or treating does not sound as fun as going to school, meeting friends, having candy, playing outside and having fun. You get to enjoy the day and the evening.
    Halloween is a fun. I don’t like to be scared but I love free candy. You don’t have to have the day off to enjoy a holiday.
    HAPPY HALLOWEEN by: Jacob no peace out!!

6. katherine
    October 18, 2010 at 7:50 pm (13 years ago)

Halloween is one of the best holidays ever! You get lots of candy. You can dress up as whatever or whoever you want. You can trick or treat with your friends or without your friends. You can decorate your house and eat lots of candy. You can carve a pumpkin into a jack-o-lantern.

7. Brandon
    October 18, 2010 at 7:54 pm (13 years ago)

HAPPY HALLOWE’EN EVERYONE!!!!!! Now obviously Hallowe’en is the 2nd best because you can, scare people halfway to death, you can dress up as anyone or anything from anywhere, you can see all kinds of scary and cool costumes and best of all is you get FREE CANDY!!!!!!!!!! Another great thing about Hallowe’en is that at most elementary schools they let you where your Hallowe’en costumes and classmates and teachers give out candy. One crazy thing about Hallowe’en is how it started so scary and evolved into something fun for children. Some facts about Hallowe’en are: it is an ancient celebration, in some places it would be considered beggar’s day and it got banned from some places in Europe. And I hope you all get something good to eat. 

8. Maitri
    October 18, 2010 at 8:09 pm (13 years ago)

I LOVE Halloween.

Halloween is my favorite holiday but the sad part is that I am going to Miss Halloween this year so instead of me talking about how I am going to celebrate it I am going to talk about how I wanted to celebrate it.

1) I wanted to go for Trick or treating with my friends, because usually I have to go all alone because my friends are not allowed. But finally they are allowed. Too bad because I am going to be gone.

2) I wanted to get free candy THIS YEAR, because usably there was just me eating only my candy, but this year my sister and my 2 bro finally agreed to share their candy. Plus my lil bro is also going to for trick or trading, but too bad cause I won’t be there.

3) I wanted to wear a scary costume THIS YEAR, because usually I have to wear the same costume because the costumes are expensive. Plus I never get to wear make-up as scary blood but this year my costume got small so my mom agreed to get a new one and I said that Raquel wore it last year so I also want to wear it, my mom agreed for me wearing makeup but too bad because I am going to away.

The last reason is that I love going to my moms’ friend’s house because I get all the candy she has (would be a bag full) plus I also get 20 dollar bills. My sister and my lil bro get it too but my dad says that since I am more mature I get both of their MONEY!!!!!

That is how many things I am going to miss.BOO HOO!

9. Tushar Nair
    October 18, 2010 at 8:31 pm (13 years ago)

HALLOWEEN IS MY FAVOURITE HOLIDAY!!!!!!!!! I love going trick or treating because I get lots of candy. I love CANDY. I love the candy they give you the most – like gummy bears or chocolate or suckers. I also like it because I like wearing scary costumes like the Scream, Zombie, Ghost and a lot of other things. I like seeing what Halloween decorations on other peoples houses. Fake dead bodies, blood, cobwebs, grave stones, scary signs and jacko lanterns. Halloween is very fun because after you can trade candy with friends. I think Halloween is worth it. TUSHAR LOVES HALLOWEEEEN !!!!!!!!! By Tushar-BOO!

10. maya
    October 18, 2010 at 8:52 pm (13 years ago)

Halloween is the best time of year! How can you not like it? You get to go trick-or-treating and dress up as scary things. It’s funny to see the little kids in the friendly customs. I see a lot of little bugs like ladybugs, caterpillers and even dogs. I never forget the haunted houses and mazes. Sometimes they’re scary and some are just funny. I love the died skeletons and R.I.P. stones. One more thing, the fog makers and flickering lights make everything more scary. Caution Halloween is just around the corner and it’s the best time of year!

11. Ahkash
    October 18, 2010 at 9:15 pm (13 years ago)

I LOVE HALLOWEEN it is scary,awesome,and not to forget it is also yummy and what I mean by yummy is you get a lot of candy…..NO!,I MEAN A LOT!.The part I love is the part where you get to scare the life out of a person, it is awesome cause you go out and see a bunch of dead people walking on the street and zombies listening to music in the parking lot, it is one of the best holydays and the best part is everybody can celebrate it and you get to hang out with your friends and that is why I love halloween

by: Ahkash

12. Matthew Coulson
    October 18, 2010 at 9:17 pm (13 years ago)

ITS FINALLY HEAR THE YEAR OF OCTOBER
    HALLOWEEN IS COMING SO LOOK OUT FOR MICHEL MYERS OF YOU WON’T BE AT SCHOOL

Halloween is fun because you can eat lots of candy and go out and trick or treat with your friends.Halloween is also fun because you and your parents get to make your house look
    SCARY!!!!! You stay up late and help your parents hand out the rest of your candy.

13. Becca
    October 18, 2010 at 9:47 pm (13 years ago)

Halloween is my second favorite holiday after christmas. Halloween is so much fun because of the costumes that you can wear and the different ways that people decorate their houses. Of course you can’t have halloween without all that delicios candy. I also love going trick or treating with friends.

14. T.J. Landry
    October 18, 2010 at 10:09 pm (13 years ago)

Halloween is awesome because you get free candy and cool guwy scary stuff that I like!!!Haunted houses!!funny cool scary constumes! You get to scare random kids haha!So funny! It’s a good time for spooks and sillyness. Good pranks too and so much more to do that I don’t know about that is probably awesome to do! It is just so awesome!!!! It’s almost here yeah!!!!!!!!!

15. imran alli
    October 19, 2010 at 9:39 am (13 years ago)

I like HALLOWEEN because you can go out with friends and get candy.The next thing is you can go to hunted houses and get scared and you can dare other people to go into a hunted house.

16. anuj
    October 19, 2010 at 2:14 pm (13 years ago)

halloween is fun for a few reasons…

1.you can dress up as anybody you want

2.you can get FREE candy

3.you can decorate your house all halloweenie

3.enter a haunted house or make your house a haunted house.

17. Tyler
    October 19, 2010 at 4:38 pm (13 years ago)

HALLOWEEN IS A SUPER FUN HOLIDAY!!!!!!!! You can decorate your house with spooky designs like skeletons, vampires, zombies, ghosts, werewolves, mummys, jack-o-lanterns, caution tape and maybe even a replica of Frankenstein! Maybe you could even put some spooky recorded music just outside your house! Halloween is really fun because you can run up to a house, yell trick or treat and they give you candy like chocolate bars, lollipops, hard candy, jellybeans and m&m’s!!!!! Halloween is the only holiday where you can have some good spooky fun! On Halloween you can dress up in any costume you want and maybe you can even give some smaller kids some thrills and chills! Halloween is really fun because you can plan to meet with your friends and have some fun going through spooky houses, collecting candy and most importantly…..HAVING FUN!!!! When you are done collecting candy from all the houses you can find, when you are back at home you can either help your mom or dad hand out more candy or you can just take out your candy bag and eat lots and lots of CANDY (after you check it first)before you go to bed! Halloween is one of the greatest holidays in the history of holidays! Get ready for some thrills and chills, everybody! I can not wait for October 31st because that is when all the fun will begin!!!!!!!!!

18. vanessa
    October 19, 2010 at 4:43 pm (13 years ago)

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!! I think that we should have halloween and we shouldn’t. see i just triked you right there i don’t like halloween because on halloween anything can trick you like me. or anyone for eg. you are going to a door and you say “trick or treat” and the owner say’s “HAPPY HALLOWEEN” but not for you and they could take out a jiant bag and trappes you in it. so that is why halloween should not be aloud! there is only 1 reason it should be aloud it’s so kids and adults can have a load of fun trick or treating gtting candy and getting out of the house. other then that halloween should not be aloud.

19. Adi
    October 19, 2010 at 7:18 pm (13 years ago)

Halloween is the time to be scared,
    Of the many screams that are prepared.
    Trick-or-treat on Halloween night,
    Give everyone a huge fright.

Halloween is a one of my favourite festival because of ample of reasons. On Halloween night you get to go outside and “trick or treat.”

“Trick or Treat smell my feet; give me something good to eat. If you don`t, I don`t care I`ll pull down your underwear.” Oh, sorry I forgot to tell you my favourite part, the candy! You go out to “trick or treat” with empty bags and come with bags full that are filled with tons and tons of candy.

Boo! Ha! Ha! Ha! I love scaring my friends with my bloodcurdling costume and mask. I love to see the expressions on my friend`s faces when I pop out of nowhere and frighten them. Plus, I also like being scared because then that gives me ideas of how I can prank my friends next time.

On Halloween night you can meet your neighbors & friends because everybody is out and trick or treating. You can play with friends that you haven`t seen in a while and see people from your school. You can even make new friends.

Halloween is just around the corner, so get ready with your terrifying costumes. Ready or not here Halloween comes! WA! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

20. jr mohan
    October 19, 2010 at 8:15 pm (13 years ago)

man i love Halloween (Hallows eve) because you get to go around at night getting free candy. i hear that at the beginning no one really new about Halloween and for Hallows eve they put on costumes to scare away monsters from there town because they believed that it was the devils birthday. i really like going house to house getting free candy with my friends. to me Halloween is not a waist of time.

21. zain khan
    October 19, 2010 at 9:01 pm (13 years ago)

I think Halloween is good because you get to stay up late and help your parents and hand out candy and chocolate bars plus you see people in scary customs!!!.we should be going to school because you get candy and play games and have a parade and then you go home and change into your Halloween costume or if you wore it to school then you do whatever you want to do until its time to go trick or treating with your friends and when you get home you trade candy with your friends then you eat some of it then you go to sleep.

22. Alia Hassan
    October 21, 2010 at 4:40 pm (13 years ago)

Halloween is sooo awesome! I can’t believe it’s finally here…. Im so exited! you get to get dress up like something so spectacular! I love walking around house to house with scrumptious candy in your halloween bag, getting scared silly, looking at cool decorations on the houses, and giggiling with your friends! The best part about it is being a different character for a day acting like a different person and wearing the makeup of a of a way different character than you are everyday, no one looks like what they do on Halloween!! Halloween is a great, enjoyable, and fun holiday that everyoneshould celebrate! Trickortreat?

23. chris
    October 23, 2010 at 8:07 am (13 years ago)

OMG it is, no it can’t be, it is, it’s halloween. I love halloween because you can get to gether with your friends and you can eat a lot of candy. Second thing I like the best is you can were scary costums and scare little kids. The best thing is you get to go door to door and say “trick-or-treat smell my feet give me something good to eat not to big not to small just the size of montreal”. One more thing when your parents have left overs you get that candy too.