WhaT is ArT to U?

What is art?

A hard question to answer isn’t it. The truth is, art means different things to different people.  For some, an woven rug is considered beautiful art,  or a poem written by a person you’ve never met, or a cd jacket cover or even the way you dress each day.  Depending on our cultural and life experiences, art means different things to all of us. 

There are many definitions that artists have come up with, but there isn’t a single one that all can agree on.

So here’s your chance.  Think.

Write a paragraph on what art means to you or how does it or may have influenced your lifestyle.

23 Comments on WhaT is ArT to U?

1. Raquel
    October 21, 2010 at 5:10 pm (14 years ago)

ART….this one is not easy, you got me Mr.Woods, but I’ll do my best and I’ll try to explain what art means to me.
    Art, to me, is a way to express yourself. If I want to express myself I would get a piece of paper and a pencil and I would start drawing random things…my thoughts, my feelings, my wishes, my dreams, my secrets,…
    Art can be painting, drawing or do whatever you want. Not all work is the same, for example, I might draw flowers but, the vase might be different then what you would draw. Art isn’t just drawing and painting; it’s also making pottery or sculpting, it can also be music, writing…
    As it was said there’s no definition for ART that we can get all the people to agree with.So be free to think or give a meaning for ART….

2. Tyler
    October 21, 2010 at 5:28 pm (14 years ago)

To me, art means expressing your feelings in drawing a picture instead of telling someone how you feel or writing how you feel. To me, art also means showing people your creativity and what you have to say but saying it in a picture. Art has influenced my life a lot. During the summer I try to go to as many art camps as I can. And since I go to all these art camps, I learn more about drawing and then I try to draw new things all the time. I think art can be you scribbling on a piece of paper, coloring in some parts and calling it abstract art to weaving a very complicated carpet yourself and calling it your work of art. Art can mean many different things to many different people but what art means to me is expressing your feelings in a drawing made by you with a pencil and paper. Art is my way of expressing myself. Art is very important to me.

3. Sofia
    October 21, 2010 at 6:18 pm (14 years ago)

HHEEEYY

Hmmmm what does art mean to me . art is not just strictly listening of what to draw art is when you express your own feeling and you have your own time and draw or paint or anything to me. The best part of it is you get your own time to do what you want to do. Art is not straight forward its expressing your self litterly i mean ART by its self it has so much things to be. For example being a very good artist like Mr.Woods is a very good example because he draws what he wants to be and look like.

There are very different ways to do art there is music art when you listen to music and paint the musics feeling, painting, drawing and many many more. My favourite is the one that we did in class because we used different things to shape out the letters.

All i am saying is that art is a passion it is not a job or something that boreds you out to death its ART.

Love,
    Sofia.
    Sultani

.P.S. did you know that Mr.Woods is a great artist and that this day that were doing this blog on wizards of waverly place they put on the show of wizards of waverly place that talks about what art is.

ANYWAYS

Love Your Best Student,

Sofia.
    Sultani 😛

4. Tanya
    October 21, 2010 at 6:25 pm (14 years ago)

WhaT is ArT to U?
    Well to me art is something that comes naturally when you hold a pencil!
    Like a cartoon would come naturally to some people but not all.
    To me drawing cartoons is natural.
    Also some famous paintings could be like that!
    That means it started out in a sketch book and ended up in museums! (That’s amazing)
    Art is cool because it could be anything like three lines on a piece of paper.
    Also it could just be your imagination making colours and you drawing them down on a piece of paper!
    That is why what comes naturally to someone is art to me!

By: Tanya Anand  

5. Jacob No
    October 21, 2010 at 6:27 pm (14 years ago)

What is art? Well people all over the world have different answers but here is mine. Art to me is being creative and having different colors that are bright and some that are dark. And everyone has a different description of art. Art can be paintings, drawings, or sculpting. It can be different sizes and forms, shapes and colors. That’s art to me. 🙂

6. jr mohan
    October 21, 2010 at 6:31 pm (14 years ago)

to me art id a way to express your feelings by drawing what you feel inside. it is also a way to show culture, for example the picture can show a type of food or a type of special type of celebration. some famous artists paint for the fun of it. some pictures ended up being famous for example the Mona Lisa. did you know that the Mona lisa has no eyebrows ? to me my favorite art is art that is like a jigsaw puzzle.

7. Maitri
    October 21, 2010 at 6:48 pm (14 years ago)

Art to me means many different things to me.

First of all I think that everything is related to some kind of art.For example people just thing that marbles are to have fun and for playing = I also think that but I also think marbles are art because of the beutiful lines inside.
    Anything that has couler stripes,size ext is art to me.
    There are many different types of art like drawing, painting, sculpture (carving, modelling, assemblage and construction) architecture, printmaking, electronic media such as computer and digital graphics, ceramics, Visual Design, Graphic Design, collage, photography and Post Modern and more.
    Usually art can also mean writing or typing a letter in fonts.That is where expresing your feelings come.Instead of me drawing a picture of a face of how I feel,I write a letter of how I feel.For example one day I got mad at my dad so I typed a mean letter and then by mistake I saved it.The next day my dad found out and got me in trouble…maybe that is not a good example but hopefully you got the point.The type of art I like is when you get to draw whatever you want to draw.I don’t really enjoy school art because techers have forced me to do what they want me to draw.But so far in Mr.Wood’s class it is going well because atleast he let us choose a word that we wanted use as art!

8. anuj
    October 21, 2010 at 7:41 pm (14 years ago)

Art is a way people express there feelings like in music or paintings.You can have a voice in art by showing dark colurs as a resemblence of anger or other feelings same with light colurs you could draw the beach because your happy.With music you can play a slow sad c major tune to tell that you are sad or you can play a happy high-pitched e major tune that really makes you happy.Painting and music a’rent the only types of art there’s more out there!

9. Calvin
    October 21, 2010 at 7:50 pm (14 years ago)

Art is different colours and things. Art can mean a lot to people aspisuly when they do art a lot. Like when someone dresses up everyday!
    Like the colour of you house and the decorations! It is anything really! It is something that you think is art!

10. maya
    October 21, 2010 at 7:52 pm (14 years ago)

Art is an unlimited way to express what I am thinking and what i am feeling. It can be acting, music, dancing, drawing, building… pretty much anything that’s creative. I enjoy using my computer for art because the choices are unlimited with today’s technology. I love that Also I find slid shows interesting to create. Art has no limits. And, art is different for everyone. What I like, you may not. But, that’s okay. Art has a big impact in everyone’s lives . It shows people expressing themselves any way they want. I LOVE ART!

by Maya

11. Ahkash
    October 21, 2010 at 8:10 pm (14 years ago)

I say art is you expressing your thoughts and feelings on a piece of paper, I also thick art is another way to show your feelings without needing to write,sometimes art is just something to entertain you and sometimes it makes you super famous,but art is my feelings and thoughts and not only me…..it can also be you

12. katherine

ART is something everybody should do. Because you can express your feelings to someone. What art means to me is to express you feelings to other people. How you feel inside. Some people will draw hearts because they might be feeling happy, or they might draw sad faces because they are feeling sad thats why art can mean lots of things. I think its a way of communicating.

13. Ryan
    October 21, 2010 at 8:12 pm (14 years ago)

Art means to me love, happines and feelings. Everything you would draw you would have to have a conectoin with your art work. The other thing is that you have to have feeling with you art if it is about the person you love, your best friend a portret or anything that you love. That is what art is to me.

14. Becca
    October 21, 2010 at 8:22 pm (14 years ago)

Art is important to me because if I feel sad or angry i can use art to show how I feel. Art also relaxes you as you draw your feelings. It could also show who you are as a person and what you favorite things are. that is some of the reasons why art is important.

15. Tushar Nair
    October 21, 2010 at 8:29 pm (14 years ago)

I see art in many things. I see art in cooking where we can combine ingredients and give a food a whole new flavour, colour and appearance. Music is art to me when you make a new song with different instruments. I see art when I look at my backyard and see new plants every year.

The cooking influences me to eat good and healthy food, the music helps me to relax and looking at my backyard makes me appreciate nature.

BY TUSHAR

16. Matthew Coulson
    October 21, 2010 at 9:01 pm (14 years ago)

What is art to U

Art is fun to me because it is a way of expressing your creative ideas and sharing them with other people. There are different kinds of art such as drawing, painting, sculpting, designing. I enjoy designing houses, cars and sometimes trailers.
    I think art makes the world more interesting because books wouldn’t have pictures.

17. saad
    October 21, 2010 at 9:19 pm (14 years ago)

for me art is all about creativity , when i am sad I draw most of the time,I do painting,drawing and i trace most of my drawing.I draw cars,animals and etc.and i create stuff with my k,nex

18. Adi
    October 21, 2010 at 10:34 pm (14 years ago)

Art is something which can’t be defined by logic. So, it is different from Science which can be defined by logic.

What does art mean to me? I think of art as an individual way to express one`s thoughts, emotions and feelings. Speaking or writing are not the only ways to express oneself but also a person can express himself self by making a sculpture or painting a picture. Art can be created in various forms, from painting a picture to baking a cake or doing a surgery and decorating a structure.
    S
    omething that might be garbage to someone, it might be an art master piece to someone else. The beauty is not in the art but, it`s in the eyes of the beholder. Everybody is an artist, from a really small baby to a grown man. But, the biggest artist is God, who created this universe. Art can represent tradition or it can be just made for the fun of it. Creativity is expressed through art. One can draw, paint, mold or even scribble.

My definition of art will probably be different than others because everyone sees the art differently.

19. Brandon
    October 23, 2010 at 12:55 pm (13 years ago)

ART is… Art is basically everything around us. To me art is someone’s imagination; sometimes it doesn’t even have to have a purpose. My favourite type of art is music. Art can be just simply something that’s created by a person. Art is also a way of expressing your feelings to someone. Art is anything that someone used their imagination to make. I enjoy music because I can express myself through it.

20. Selena Almeida
    October 23, 2010 at 4:39 pm (13 years ago)

ART!ART!ART!is important to me because it makes me express what i feel inside without saying it.Art is also impotant to me because it shows my crative side.It is also important to me because you can draw or paint when you are board and do what ever you want.Art is also important and specil to me because when i draw it might be somthing diffrent some outher person but the same to me.I!LOVE!ART

BY. SELENA ALMEIDA

21. zain khan
    October 23, 2010 at 10:02 pm (13 years ago)

art? art is all about creativity and your thoughts it is also about how you feel inside anyway I say that you see art every were for an example you see art in food, marbles and paper so that means I am trying to say that art is every thing around you.

22. T.J. Landry
    October 24, 2010 at 5:05 pm (13 years ago)

Art is a way to express yourself with different colours and drawings that speak to people hearts. It can be signs of feelings of a person. Some pieces of art don’t speak to peoples hearts. It is a good way to the show the world how many different feelings the human race has.

23. aiva
    October 25, 2010 at 2:35 pm (13 years ago)

ART is the best way for your soul to express feelings, beacause words are not always, nor commonly, enough to express your feelings.