Remembrance Day a Holiday?

remembrance day

The discussion on if Remembrance Day should be a holiday as resurfaced once again.  Provinces such as Nova Scotia have a day off school for all students on Remembrance Day.  In Ontario, government and bank employees receive a day off work but all students are in class.  Are there benefits to being at school on this day, to reflect to question? Or, should this be a day as in Nova Scotia where students can reflect at home or go to a war memorial with family or friends or whatever they feel is right for them. 

Write a paragraph outlining your opinion if Ontario should make Remembrance Day be a holiday for all students.
Why do you think this?

Express your opinion using your own experiences with Remembrance Day and the video/article to help support your point of view.

We are all interested to hear about your opinion and read your ideas.

Video from an ex-soldier’s perspective: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Video+Remembrance/3785162/story.html

News Article: http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/news/national/article/99082–ontario-conservative-wants-remembrance-day-declared-statutory-holiday

20 Comments on Remembrance Day a Holiday?

1. Tushar
    November 6, 2010 at 11:06 am (13 years ago)

Rememberance day should be a holiday for students because what if a kid had a relative who died in war. They would probably want to stay home or go to war memorial. In Quebec, Manitoba and Ontario its not a holiday for kids, but in Nova Scotia it is optional for businesses and schools to stay home or go to a war memorial on Rememberance day. That is why I think rememberance day should be a holiday.

2. Raquel
    November 6, 2010 at 11:13 am (13 years ago)

I think that remembrance day shouldn’t be a holiday for students. Students should still be going to school becauseno matter what school you go to, you still always think about the soldiers and think the soldiers and the war. Yes, some people might go to memorials or church but, some people dont’ really care. At school, you have to watch and remember everybody that went in war and were trying to fight for their country. Every year I went to kindree, I would cry because I really thought them. I’m might even cry this year too. If I stayed home, I wouldn’ t think about them. Maybe you want to stay home and make this a holiday. Yes if we stay home, most of us would not do anything maybe you wouldn’t even do 1 minute of silence to remember those that one day gave/lost their lives for our country. I think we should still go to school on this very remembering day so we can do our part of this special and important day.

3. imranalli
    November 6, 2010 at 12:08 pm (13 years ago)

I think rememberance day should be a holiday because it reprasents all the fallen soldiers how died on the line of duty or in a jet fighter.Or that got killed in first and second world war or that got bomb.I think it would be a good idia so people can go and see if eny one for them gopt killed they can go and go to see theym.

4. tanyaanand
    November 6, 2010 at 12:20 pm (13 years ago)

Well I think that kids should get a day off because they can remember people from there family who fought for the war!Kids can understand the meaning of Rememberance Day more when they are at home with there parents!There is a chance that a kid will remember there family memebers going to war and hoping for them to come back!That is why I think that kids should get a day of school on Remeberance Day!!!

By Tanya Anand :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

5. Tyler
    November 6, 2010 at 12:36 pm (13 years ago)

Remembrance Day should be a holiday in Ontario where people get the day off. If you have the day off you can go to a museum for the whole day or go to a Remembrance Day service and learn about people who have died in war, whereas at school you would mostly learn about math, science and more, and just a little bit of time actually celebrating the holiday of Remembrance Day. We should spend the whole day remembering the brave soldiers who fought and/or died in wars. It is important that we celebrate the holiday because 34 percent of people who died in war are from Ontario. That is why I think that people should get the whole day off on November 11th for Remembrance Day.

6. mrwoods
    November 6, 2010 at 2:03 pm (13 years ago)

Raquel,
    Interesting points about how education and reflection in the school environment brings people together and has made your
    experiences with Remembrance day.
    Well supported points,
    Mr.Woods

7. mrwoods
    November 6, 2010 at 2:06 pm (13 years ago)

Tyler,
    Thanks for including data about 1/3 of all Ontarians involved in the war. Your argument and Raquel’s are opposite of eachother, it would
    make a great debate.
    Mr Woods

8. saad
    November 6, 2010 at 2:24 pm (13 years ago)

I think this should be a holiday for the ones that have family members or frinds that died in war because if there was not a holiday people could not go to the see there frinds or family that died in war and if they could not see them they would be sad and if they do not go look at there friends or family members there people that died in war will also be sad that they did not come vist them.

9. Calvin
    November 6, 2010 at 8:32 pm (13 years ago)

I think Remembrance Day should be a holiday for students also. This is so we can look back to the people who sacrified their lives for our country. If the bank employees and the people working for the government can have a day off work then why can’t the students also. Students can learn more by spending a day at the war memorial with their families and friends or just by watching the news on everything about Rememberance Day.

10. katherine
    November 7, 2010 at 12:49 pm (13 years ago)

On remembrance day kids should go to school because you can learn more about remembrance day.They could read books about war. Or read books like The enemy! I all so think that kids should have the day off. Because they could spend time with there family,and learn more about there heritage. like if they had family in the war!

11. Ryan
    November 7, 2010 at 1:11 pm (13 years ago)

I think Remeberence should be a holiday in Ontario for students because some students might have a relative that died in the war, and they might want to spend it with he/she would like to remember there relative that fought in the war.

But I think some students should not stay home for Remembrance day because they just might think isn’t a holiday it’s just a day off school with out thinking about the real purpose of the holiday. When it is really a holiday for the soldiers who fought in the war and defiantly not a day off of school.

12. Jacob No
    November 7, 2010 at 1:13 pm (13 years ago)

Remembrance Day should be a holiday in Ontario because we can get a school day off to think about the soldiers and how brave they were to go to war. Some people would go to a museum and see all the soldiers that gave their life for us so that we can live here and be free. And what if someone had a relative that died in the war and they still had to go to school? They can’t think about them. Remembrance Day should be a holiday where everyone goes to a memorial to either remember the lost soldiers and how horrible war can be. I don’t think that Remembrance Day is a celebration of war but, rather how we can avoid war by looking at what happened in the past. My grandfather was a tank driver in the Korean war and he was lucky he didn’t get hurt. He did have a lot of friends that died in the Korean War. I’d like to thank all the Canadian soldiers who volunteered to go to Afghanistan to fight for freedom.

13. Becca
    November 7, 2010 at 4:07 pm (13 years ago)

For many it would just be another day off to shop.Therefore students should be in school, so they all will know the importance of this day and know how our fallen soliders fought for freedom. Assemblies and the moment of silence lets them understand the purpose of”REMEMBERANCE DAY”.My grandfather was in WW11 as a gunner he is always remembered everyday but it is nice to know that everyone thinks of him and all the men and women who fought for this country with thier hearts and thier lives for freedom. So no I don’t think Rememberance Day should be a statutory holiday for anyone.

14. Brandon
    November 7, 2010 at 6:12 pm (13 years ago)

Remembrance Day is a very important holiday to some people… I think it should be a holiday so if kids had a family member in the war than they could be able to go to a memorial service. Even kids that don’t have family members should go to a memorial service. Some war generals want Remembrance Day to be a statutory holiday. We Canadians should be able look back at those who sacrificed their lives for our freedom. My great grandfather was in World War 2 and he was a tail gunner in a plane that’s model name was: Liberator unfortunately I don’t know what the crew named it. So that’s why Remembrance Day should be a holiday.

15. Sofia
    November 7, 2010 at 7:13 pm (13 years ago)

HHHHIIIIIII
    Personally to me Rememberence Day should not be a holiday because Rememberence Day is Sad. Holidays are fun because of the things that happen are exciting. So the cultures are real different because it doesn’t match the fact of the reason of that holiday.

There are many different reasons why those to things are not the same to go together. I mean only umm christmas and holiday matches not Rememberence day and holidays.

Think about it sadness and happyness doesn’t make any sense ??
    RIGHT!

love your student thats the BEST,

Sofia.
    Sultani

16. Selena Almeida
    November 7, 2010 at 7:16 pm (13 years ago)

I think reason why Remembrance Day should not be a holiday for students is because at school you can still think about the soldiers that have died. Also your teacher might do some writing with you about why Remembrance Day is so important and we always have asemblys for Remembrance Day as well. At school we are able to learn about why it is so important to remeber. The reason Remembrance Day should be a holiday because it might be really hard on certain people who have lost one of there family members durring the war and it is a time for families to be together.

17. Adi
    November 7, 2010 at 7:43 pm (13 years ago)

Remembrance Day

I think that Remembrance Day should not be a holiday. There are several reasons for this. The first reason is that in school we remember the war veterans. If we got the break from school than some people wouldn`t remember the veterans that fought in war. They would just relax. I don`t think many people would actually go to a war memorial. I think that if remembrance were a holiday I wouldn`t remember those soldiers who fought in war.

The second reason is that we would miss the Remembrance Day assembly. The assembly could teach us a lot about Remembrance Day and why it is celebrated on November 11.

The last reason is that in school we make artwork to honour the soldiers who lost their lives. Remembrance Day is on November 11 and everybody remembers. On November 12 everybody forgets about it. Later on we can look at our artwork and it can remind you about the war veterans.

Many people say that we should get a holiday from school. But out of those people I think that only a few will remember the war veterans if Remembrance Day was a holiday.

18. jr mohan
    November 7, 2010 at 8:16 pm (13 years ago)

i think remembrance day should be a holiday because we should take time and prey to and thank the soldiers that died to keep our country safe. it is also time to celebrate that our country is safe and not to much involved in war.

19. Maya
    November 9, 2010 at 4:30 pm (13 years ago)

remembrance day should be a holiday. everyone knows November 11th is remembrance day and we see the red poppies on everyone. however, everyone is so busy in their life that they don’t really have the time to remember or recognize the importance of this day. there were so many soldiers who died for our country and many are still fighting. there were so many families that suffered because of losing their brothers or fathers or sons. now we even have women fighting for our freedom. we have to take time off to remember these important people who died or suffered so that we can live in this free country called Canada. If it’s a holiday, families will spend time together and they can chat about all the soldiers who fought for us.

by
    Maya

20. jahkubb
    November 10, 2010 at 11:11 am (13 years ago)

I think Remembrance Day should be a holiday. I think it should be a holiday because that’s the Day when you should take the Day off to Remember people in your family who went to War and passed away.