What’s your Nature Wonder of the World?

Homework due on Friday

As participants in our world's future and the care for our environment, we should take a look at what "wonders of our earth" we should celebrate and cherish.  This can lead to talking and debating what are the top "7 Natures wonders of the world"

Follow this link to reasearch around the globe the one "nature wonder of the world" you find is deserving to be part of the top 7.

Persuade us by doing additional research through watching videos, reading texts etc.

Follow this link to click and to find out what would be your #1 place to call one of the 7 wonders of the world.

http://www.new7wonders.com/en/index/

or http://www.wikipedia.com

24 Comments on What’s your Nature Wonder of the World?

1. vanessarose
    November 17, 2010 at 5:20 pm (13 years ago)

The one i chose is Vesuvius(in italy) and i think it should be in one of the top 7 nature wonder’s of the world because…

1.it is the only volcano in the european mainland to have erupted within the last hundred years although it is not currently erupting!

2.Vesuvius is best known for its eruption in AD 79 that led to the destruction of the Roman cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum.

3.it as erupted ever since and is known to be one of the most dangourous volcano’s in the world!

the volcano is huge it let’s out alot of lava so it is really dangourous! my advice would be DONT’T GET CLOSE TO IT!about 9 kilometres east of Naples and a short distance from the shore. The two other major active volcanoes in Italy, Etna and Stromboli, are located on islands.
    that is why i think Vesuvius should be 1 of the top 7 nature the eruption also changed the course of the Sarno River and raised the sea beach,so that pompeii was now neither a river nor adjacent to the cost!

wonders of the world!

vanessa

2. jr mohan
    November 17, 2010 at 7:04 pm (13 years ago)

my report is on the iguazu falls.you see the name of the falls came from a language called guarani. the word igua witch means water and uazu means big. the falls was discovered in 1541.the fall is created by 275 water falls or so.it is 2.7 kilometers! that is long. the iguazu falls is found in Argentina. the falls also has a legend to. the legend is that a god loved a aboriginal girl but the girl loved someone else so the god was so mad he split the river then made the falls. it will be cool to go there because the air is so moist and i really think that it will be cool to see the hundreds of waterfalls. the water has some different routes like the devils throat. a lake were some of the water goes is Parana river. i chose this because in the picture it looked like a normal water fall but when i read it was one of the largest waterfalls in the world it seemed more interesting. poor Niagara! the iguazu falls is bigger than the Niagara falls!this place can be a source of electricity because there are 275 falls, you can get alot of hydraulic energy here!the falls is a fascinating place and that it is sooooo large. OK this was my report.

3. Raquel
    November 17, 2010 at 7:50 pm (13 years ago)

With so many beautiful places was hard to choose one, but the place I would vote for is “The Angel Falls”.

“Angel Falls” is located in the Canaima National Park in Bolivar state, along Venezuela’s border with Brazil.
    This water fall drops over the edge of the Auyantepui mountain.
    It’s known for most of the 20th century by the name “Angel Falls” after Jimmie Angel-who was the first one to fly over the falls in a plane.
    One fo the reasons why it should be the #1 wonder of the world is because it’s the largest waterfall in the world-nearly 1000 metres!!!!
    An interesting fact about the “Angel Falls” is due to the height of the fall, much of the water is evaporated or carried away as a fine mist by the strong wind before it gets anywhere near the ground. On a sunny day that mist will look like sparkles in the air.
    A trip to the falls it is still a complicated affair, but just to look at it it’s fascinating!
    All over the world there’s countless waterfalls,even here in Canada we have Niagara Falls (still beautiful) but let’s not forget that this one is the largest ONE.
    It’s such an exotic place!

4. thomaslandry
    November 17, 2010 at 8:58 pm (13 years ago)

My nature wonder of the world is fossil cliffs. On the Bay of Fundy Joggins Nova Scotia. You can search for fossil rocks. our family goes there for most of our vacations because we are around this area. We have many fossil rocks.

5. Sofia
    November 18, 2010 at 2:37 pm (13 years ago)

HHHHHHHHHEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLOOOOOOO

The one that im voting for is angel falls because its pretty.

The Angel Falls is a very nice place for people to visit and for vacation because it has a nice waterfall and a beuatiful view for the hotels. People who love pretty views should really come here because it is almost like a dream for someone to wake up, and see this amazing view

ANYWAYS THIS WILL BE THE BEST PLACE FOR YOU TO GO KK BYEEBYE.

Love,
    Sofia.
    Sultani :p

6. Chris
    November 18, 2010 at 4:41 pm (13 years ago)

I think the number one wonder of the world is Angel falls.

Angel falls is the hights water fall in the world. The falls is 1002 meters high.

If you think Niagra falls is big, Angel falls is 19 times bigger.

To me the Angle falls is the most beautiful sight to see. the water falls in to what is known as the devils canyon.

so that is why I think it should be the number one wonder of the world

7. Sofia
    November 18, 2010 at 4:59 pm (13 years ago)

HHHHEEELLLLLLLOOO

CONTINUE OF WORK

The place i chose is ANGEL FALLS because those falls are like over 1000 metres, that is wikid,it is 3 times bigger than theniagra falls. This place is buetiful and umm no affence angel falls is way prettier than niagra falls no affence. the location of this beuatiful place is in Canaima National Park in bolvair state on Venezuela’s border and on brazil.

DID YOU KNOW THAT Jimmie Angel was the first one to fly an airplane over the angel falls.

i think thats why they called it angel falls.

byebye,
    Sofia

8. Alia Hassan
    November 18, 2010 at 5:37 pm (13 years ago)

My Wonder would be The Hanging Gardens of Babylon or The Hanging Gardens of the Semirimis. It is very beautiful, it is also one of the seven wonders of the Ancient world like the Pyramids. I have some resarch on this and it is very very pretty place and interesting. They were built in the ancient city of Babylon in present Al-Hillah, Babil, in Iraq…and supposely built by the Babyloan king in 600 bc! It’s kind of funny because he built them to please his wife who was homesick.You can tell this glorious garden had allot of work put into it… his wife meant allot to him! This Hanging garden is very special to me I love the outdoors and pretty flowers in all different,unique,and colorful gardens. It is a very beautiful seen to see… It should be a wonder of the world always it is so pretty and different and everyone should see it!

9. Ryan
    November 18, 2010 at 5:53 pm (13 years ago)

The top sevon nature should be the Bay of Fundy. I think this should be the top sevon.

It should be top sevon because they have the biggest tides in the world.

Anther reason is because there tides are 16.2 metres or 53 feet! The tide comes up to twice a day.

The tide is higher than the water combined with the flow of all the worlds fresh water rivers!

The other thing is that the Bay is renwoend for its costal rock,formations and extreme tidal efects (vertical, rapids and borres)

The Bay has a verbrant habitat for the rare endangered right whales.

By:Ryan

10. tanyaanand
    November 18, 2010 at 6:12 pm (13 years ago)

My report is on Capri in Italy.

I am doing it on Capri because I have heard and seen pictures of this island online! I always wanted to go there. Capri is located Gulf of Naples. This is one of the most famous spots in Italy!! This has been a famous spot for THOUSANDS OF YEARS!! OMG. This is not just an island but it also has a hotel near by. That means you have a perfect view if Capri! Some of the hotels are Hotel Weber Ambassador. In this hotel you have a perfect view of the isalnd Capri! This hotel is like the hotels by Niagra Falls because you have a perfect view of the Falls. Okay let’s get back to Capri. Capri has two towns on it’s island one is called Capri Town itself and the other town is called Anacapri that also has the word CAPRI in it! 🙂 🙂 🙂
    If you can’t walk to your town just use Capri’s transportaion that is ferries. But if you need transportaion to go to your hotel you can hand over your luggage to the driver and he will out them in the back! It may cost a fee but if your lucky maybe the hotel gives you transport. (ONLY IF YOUR LUCKY)
    I talked about transport and hotels now let’s talk about Capri itself. Well Capri had hotels built in the 1950s! (ish) I found that fact on Trails.com http://www.trails.com/facts_29660_capri-italy-facts.html That is all I could find. Thanks for reading my report about the island Capri!! Here are some more links http://www.italyguides.it/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capri

By Tanya 🙂 :):) 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

Also come to my blog called tanyarules.edublogs.org

11. Brandon
    November 18, 2010 at 6:59 pm (13 years ago)

I chose the Great Barrier Reef because, 1 I love fish and 2 because it’s just so amazing.
    A couple interesting facts about it are: it just grows bigger and bigger each year, it’s so big it can be seen from outer space and even CNN News thinks it’s the best wonder of the world.
    It started growing during the last ice age (WOW that’s old). It was built over such a long period of time. It was created by tiny living organisms.
    There’s so many species living in it. Here are just some of the mammals: hump back whales and hump back dolphins. There are many mammals more and even some porpoises. I’m just talking about the mammals so there are actually waaaaaaaay more.
    So obviously The Great Barrier Reef is definitely THE BEST natural wonder of the world.

12. Tyler
    November 18, 2010 at 7:31 pm (13 years ago)

ANGEL FALLS IS AMAZING! Angel Falls is the tallest waterfall in the world located in Venezuela. The waterfall is 979 metres tall. Angel Falls is way better than any of the other places because I think that it has the best view from the top of the waterfall. I also think that it could power millions of people with water and electricity. On a sunny day the mist from the water will look like sparkles in the air. Angel Falls is 19 times bigger than Niagara Falls, and Niagara Falls is pretty amazing already. That is why I think that Angel Falls should be in the top 7 nature wonders of the world!

13. Becca
    November 18, 2010 at 8:13 pm (13 years ago)

HHHHHHHHEEEEEEELLLLLLOOOOOOOO.
    I have decided to pick the Black Forest in germany because if you want to go camping there is a lot of trees and wildlife that you can feed. there is a lot of space for you to play in. It is also very important to germany’s economy. There is much less pollution because there is not that many cars.

14. TUSHAR
    November 18, 2010 at 8:34 pm (13 years ago)

The wonder that I think would be the best is Mount Kilmanjero. It is the highest mountain in Africa and fourth highest of the Seven Summits. Its the tallest freestanding mountain in the world, with Uhuru peak rising to an altitude of 5895 m (19341 ft) AMSL (above mean sea level). The exact meaning and origin of the name Kilmanjero is unknown. It is thought to be the combination of the Swahilli word kilima (meaning mountain) and the Kichagga word njaro (meaning whiteness) giving the name White Mountain. Kilmanjero is composed of three distinct volcanic cones: Kibo, Mawenzi and Shira. Uhuru peak is the highest summit on Kibo’s crater rim. That is why I think Mt. Kilmanjero should be one of the 7 natural wonders of the world.

15. Ahkash
    November 18, 2010 at 8:44 pm (13 years ago)

Hi, it’s me Ahkash AND i SAY Iguazu falls are cool

what makes them so cool is that it is one of the worlds tallest waterfalls. Not only that they extend over 2,700m! that is almost 2 miles. it is shaped as a semi-cirular of 275 falls that makes up the name Iguassu Falls, one of it’s falls which is named devils throat is 80m high

what is amazing is that this fall is right on the border of the Brazilian state of parana and the a province of Argentine named Misiones and this fall is also beside two national parks.

and that is why I thinck this fall is so cool

16. Calvin
    November 18, 2010 at 8:50 pm (13 years ago)

I say that the Bay of Fundy should be one of the top “7 Natures Wonders of the World”.

Here are my reasons why:

1. The Bay of Fundy is a 170 mile long ocean bay that stretches between the provinces of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. It has the most breath taking view of the coastline and the tidal landscape.

2. You can find the world’s highest tides at the Bay of Fundy. It normally takes 6 hours and 13 minutes for the tides to go from high to low. Tourists can see two high and low tides each in a 24 hour period.

3. Each day 100 billon tonnes of seawater flows in and out of the Bay of Fundy during one tide cycle and that more than the combined flow of the world’s freshwater rivers!

4. At low tide, tourists can walk on the ocean floor and look at the incrediable rocks that the tides have carved.

You will find that the Bay of Fundy alone is an experience unlike any other in the world.

17. imranalli
    November 18, 2010 at 9:13 pm (13 years ago)

I always think the Kaieteur falls should be one of the 7 wonders of the world .The Kaieteur falls was discoverd in April 24,1870 and it is a high volume water fall on the Pateo river in Central Guyana.It is the largest singel drop fall in the world and is mesureing 226 meters(741 ft)high.It is five times taller then Niagra falls,also Kaieteur is the 26th most scenic water fallls in the world.The average water flow is 23,400 cu ft/s or 663 m³/second.It is one of the most power full water fall in the world rivaling even the Jog fall of India`s Karnataka state.I think the Kaiteur most intresting falls in the world and it is all natral and has been around since the biginning of time and it is a breath taking sight.And it would be very historic.

18. imranalli
    November 18, 2010 at 9:15 pm (13 years ago)

I always think the Kaieteur falls should be one of the 7 wonders of the world .The Kaieteur falls was discoverd in April 24,1870 and it is a highest volume water fall on the Pateo river in Central Guyana.It is the largest single drop fall in the world and is mesureing 226 meters(741 ft)high.It is five times taller then Niagra falls,also Kaieteur is the 26th most scenic water fallls in the world.The average water flow is 23,400 cu ft/s or 663 m³/second.It is one of the most power full water fall in the world rivaling even the Jog fall of India`s Karnataka state.I think the Kaiteur most intresting falls in the world and it is all natral and has been around since the biginning of time and it is a breath taking sight.And it would be very historic.

19. roblox
    November 18, 2010 at 9:26 pm (13 years ago)

Hi I’m Matt and I’m going to tell you about The Bay of Fundy.
    The Bay of Fundy is a bay on the Atlantic coast of North America. On the northeast end of the Gulf of Maine between the Canadian provinces of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia with a small New 7 wonders of the nature contest that ends in November of 2011. The reason why I picked the Bay of Fundy is because they are interesting because of the stories that people tell you how the tide goes down and then about 2 hours later the tide is up again. Portions of the Bay of Fundy are form one of six Canadian sites in the Western Hemisphere and are classified as a hemispheric site. It is owned by the provinces of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and the Canadian Wildlife Service, and it is managed in conjunction with Ducks Unlimited Canada and the Nature Conservancy of Canada.

I chose The Bay of Fundy because that’s cool and very interesting to learn about, study do a test on it or assignment.

Thank you for reading
    From: Matthew Coulson

20. Jacob No
    November 18, 2010 at 9:40 pm (13 years ago)

One of my #1 top seven places in the world is Angel Falls. Angel Falls is the most highest water fall in the WORLD at 1,002m! It’s location is the National Park Bolivar State in Venezuela.! Angel Falls is 16 times more taller than Niagara Falls (gasp). You would almost have to bend over backwards to see the top of the falls. The height of the fall is so great that, before getting anywhere near the ground, most of the water is evaporated or carried away as a fine mist by the strong wind. The falls are located in an isolated jungle in Venezuela. Angel Falls is one of Venezuela’s top tourist attractions, but, even today, a trip to the falls is a complicated. You have to take a plane. I think that is really cool. It would be a great adventure to go to the falls. To find out more about Angel Falls and see some awesome pictures and videos, you can go to these websites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?
    http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Falls
    http://www.venezuelatuya.com/canaima/saltoangeleng.htm

Be good to nature. Peace out 🙂

Jacob

21. roblox
    November 18, 2010 at 10:14 pm (13 years ago)

Same as first but added more

The Bay of Fundy is a bay on the Atlantic coast of North America. On the northeast end of the Gulf of Maine between the Canadian provinces of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia with a small New 7 wonders of the nature contest that ends in November of 2011. The reason why I picked the Bay of Fundy is because they are interesting because of the stories that people tell you how the tide goes down and then about 2 hours later the tide is up again. Portions of the Bay of Fundy are form one of six Canadian sites in the Western Hemisphere and are classified as a hemispheric site. It is owned by the provinces of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and the Canadian Wildlife Service, and it is managed in conjunction with Ducks Unlimited Canada and the Nature Conservancy of Canada. Some sources believe the name “Fundy” is a corruption of the French word “Fendu”, meaning “split”, while others believe it comes from the Portuguese fondo, meaning “funnel The bay was also named Baie Franchise (French Bay) by explorer/cartographer. Leaf Basin has only been measured in recent years, whereas the Fundy system has been measured for many decades. Tidal experts note that Leaf Basin is consistently higher on average tides than Minas Basin; however, the highest recorded tidal ranges ever measured are at Burntcoat Head and result from spring tides measured at the peak of the tidal cycle every 18 years. The Annapolis Royal Generating Station has been studied for its various effects, including an accelerated shoreline erosion problem on the historic waterfront of the town of Annapolis Royal, as well as increased siltation and heavy metal and pesticide contamination upstream due to lack of Regular River/tidal flushing. There have also been instances where large marine mammals

Thank you for reading
    From: Matthew Coulson

22. adi2000
    November 18, 2010 at 10:28 pm (13 years ago)

I`m really delighted that the Bay of Fundy got into the top 28 wonders of the natural world. I think it should be in the top 7 natural wonders of the world. What? You don`t think that the Bay of Fundy should be in the list? I`ll convince you why the Bay of Fundy should be in the top 7 natural of the world.

Wow! Those are some cool shaped rocks. On the Bay of Fundy you can see giant rocks eroded into different shapes. These sand stone structures are known as the Hopewell rocks or the flower pot rocks. The tides of the Bay of Fundy wore away bits and pieces of rock into the awesome shapes they are today!

But be careful, don`t stay there too long because every 6 hours and 13 minutes the tides change and 100 billion tones of sea water flows in or out of the bay. So, if it`s low tide, you better put on a timer because a high tide can drown you. The tides in this area are the highest tides in the world. Some tides can be up to 53 feet high! On high tide you can go canoeing or kayaking.

The Bay of Fundy has over 8 species of whales, an abundance of dolphins, porpoises, fish, seals, seabirds and more. It protects endangered animals. More than half of the world’s populations of endangered North Atlantic Right whale raise their calves there. It is an essential site for birds, fishes and marine mammals` migrations. There are undisturbed beaches where rare birds can be found. Low tide mud flats are a critical feeding ground for 95% of the world’s semi-palmated Sandpipers. It is also a summer habitat and feeding ground for 12 species of whales.

In the Bay of Fundy, there are serene coastal views, national and provincial parks. Within the parks there are coastal hiking trails that take you across dramatic cliffs that rise above Fundy’s waters.

Are you interested in palaeontology? Well then you`re in luck, the Bay of Fundy has the most complete fossil record of the Coal Age, from about 300 million years ago. There you can explore the fossil cliffs from the world’s first reptiles and Canada’s oldest dinosaurs. It also has the world’s best fossil forest. It is also the home to the largest whirlpool in the northern hemisphere, the “Old Sow” which is just off Deer Island, New Brunswick. Fundy is one of the world’s richest marine ecosystems and has been compared to the Amazon rainforest in biodiversity.

So now what? Do you think that the Bay of Fundy should be in the top 7? So, you`re also going to vote for the Bay of Fundy? I knew I could convince you. These are the reasons why the Bay of Fundy should be In the 7 nature wonders of the world.

P.S: Visit my blog at allstaradi.edublogs.org

23. ryananuj
    November 21, 2010 at 12:01 pm (13 years ago)

Hi i am Anuj , and i’m going to talk about the Bay of fundy. The Bay of Fundy is a bay on the Atlantic coast of North America, on the northeast end of the Gulf of Maine between the Canadian provinces of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, with a small portion touching the U.S. state of Maine.Some sources believe the name “Fundy” is a corruption of the French word “Fendu”, meaning “split”,while others believe it comes from the Portuguese fondo, meaning “funnel”.The Bay of Fundy is known for its high tidal range. Rivaled by Ungava Bay in northern Quebec and the Severn Estuary in the UK, it has one of the highest vertical tidal ranges in the world.The Bay of Fundy is known for its high tidal range. The quest for world tidal dominance has led to a rivalry between the Minas Basin in the Bay of Fundy and the Leaf Basin in Ungava Bay, over which body of water lays claim to the highest tides in the world, with supporters in each region claiming the record.The Canadian Hydrographic Service finally declared it a statistical tie, with measurements of a 16.8 metre (55.1 feet) tidal range in Leaf Basin for Ungava Bay and 17 meters (55.8 feet) at Burntcoat Head for the Bay of Fundy.[5] The highest water level ever recorded in the Bay of Fundy system occurred at the head of the Minas Basin on the night of October 4–5, 1869 during a tropical cyclone named the “Saxby Gale”. The water level of 21.6 metres (70.9 feet) resulted from the combination of high winds, abnormally low atmospheric pressure, and a spring tide.