Graffiti

Graffiti.

A topic that angers some and makes others love it.

Is Graffiti art or is it vandalism or is it both?

Pick one of these positions and outline your reasons in a paragraph form why you believe in your opinion.  Provide proof.

Street artists such as Kaws and Banksy are challenging our “usual” views of what art means to us.  Yet, others believe that graffiti destroys public urban spaces.

We are all interested to read your thoughts on this question?

OR          or

18 Comments on Graffiti

1. rachel
    November 29, 2012 at 4:40 pm (11 years ago)

I think that graffiti is art. It is art because it was drawen pretty good to me, it took time and it has been drawn for a reason like other art peices and art can be what ever, like my older sister took a picture of a road and it was put in an art gallary. It may not look like your usaule art peice, but, it is art, if it is one the side of a monument then it is vandalisem. Some graffiti is sometimes to repersent what humans have become in a good way and a bad way.

2. Om

graffiti is art but they do it on the billboards and walls with a spray paint can and it also is vandalism because Kaws and Banksy are spray painting and spray painting is illegal and they are not doing it on a piece of paper, not on a nice painting board with a nice stand the are doing it on a billboard and walls and that’s not there property.

3. kylawinger
    November 29, 2012 at 5:06 pm (11 years ago)

I think graffiti is art.The reasons I think that is because it looks like it was painted by normal paint (paint mot in cans).It also looks like it was drawn.It could end up in a museum on day because of how cool it looks up on billboards and other things.And I think that it looks really cool just like art in museums.That’s why I think graffiti is art.

4. anannya123
    November 29, 2012 at 5:59 pm (11 years ago)

Graffiti is art and vandalism.
    I am not sure,see if a graffiti is done
    on a street, People take it as vandalism, but done
    and put in a frame in a gallery it turns the meaning around.So I not really sure if Graffiti is art or is it vandalism. I think it both.

5. batman26618
    November 29, 2012 at 6:05 pm (11 years ago)

Graffiti is art but they do it on the billboards and walls with a spray paint can and it also is vandalism because Kaws and Banksy are spray painting and spray painting is illegal and they are not doing it on a piece of paper, not on a nice painting board with a nice stand the are doing it on a billboard and walls and that’s not there property.

6. kindreebrady
    November 29, 2012 at 6:29 pm (11 years ago)

I think graffiti is art because it is details and not rushed. When you are outside walking on a path with graffiti on it you would sort of be walking through a gallery.

7. chrismyrox
    November 29, 2012 at 6:30 pm (11 years ago)

I think graffiti is art because it is drawn well but it is vandalism. If people could just draw it on canvas and put it in a art gallery people will respect it morel.

8. kindreebrady
    November 29, 2012 at 6:31 pm (11 years ago)

Oops, I clicked to soon. Here is the rest of my comment…

I know that it does destroy property but you could come to accept that you now have your own art gallery.

9. myahussain
    November 29, 2012 at 6:41 pm (11 years ago)

I think it can be both. depending on the place it is in. the artist that drew it and the date it was painted. the older the painting is the more expensive it is. I wonder how they preserve the painting ? ow well, The place like on a wall or in a musiem. like if someone did there grafiti on the side of your house you and or your parents would prbibly call it vandalism but if it was in a museim you wold call it art.

It can also depend on the mesige the art or vandilism says. if the messige is not so important it can efect the way you look at the picture.

The artist if the artist is famouse you would look at the picture verry diffrently. if i went and drew something and leanarto diviche drew something you would like his work better. because he is famouse not nessisaroly by who`s picture is better by the person who drew the picture.

it can be vandilism it can be art it can be both no anwser is wrong.:) 🙂

10. Amrita
    November 29, 2012 at 6:47 pm (11 years ago)

I think graffiti is art because they do it on trains, walls etc. Art takes a long time to do, art is wonderful! I love drawing. When people do graffiti others will judge it differently where the graffiti is, if its on a wall on the highways people will think it’s vandalism. If graffiti was hung up in a museum people will think it’s special. It maybe will not look like art to you, but it is a type of art … it’s “graffiti.”

11. souvik
    November 29, 2012 at 6:55 pm (11 years ago)

Graffiti is art but its on other peoples personal property not on a clean canvas. People think that graffiti is vandalism but when they see it in a art gallery they don’t even think its graffiti just because its surroundings have changed. Graffiti also has meaning like Banksy”s graffiti, he did it on the Israel and Palestinian border to symbolize what happens in war. I think graffiti is great as long as its not on personal property but then its not graffiti instead its normal art.

12. viduni
    November 29, 2012 at 7:37 pm (11 years ago)

Graffiti could be an art as well as vandalism,it just depends on where the Graffiti is.It can be an art when the Graffiti shows time and effort, and when it is shown in an art gallery.If it is painted on a wall which is someone else`s property it could be vandalism. To me Graffiti is an art that takes many years of practice of master, just like any other subject. To other people it may look like vandalism where ever it is because it does not look like your usual art work. Just because it is different does not mean that it can`t be appreciated.

13. Kailey frost
    November 30, 2012 at 4:00 pm (11 years ago)

Yes I think graffiti is art because someone did it for a reason.Every thing that someone graffiti’s means something to them, just like ”stary night” by Leonardo divinchi. Maybe if the art was featured in a art gallery people wouldn’t look at it as vandalism. Since its on a brick wall every person that walks by thinks it is vandalism which I totally disagree with but many would agree with.

14. bavita
    December 2, 2012 at 12:39 pm (11 years ago)

Graffti is “ART” because people use it to show how they feel. People may vandalise to show their feelings or to make a point. Art is anything, draw a line ________ thats art if you draw a bunny like I said everything is art, so lets try drawing a bunny a really big bunny (\ (\
    ( . . )
    – (“) (“)
    As I said try to show what you have in art I think thats what Graffti is trying to show to all the veiwers.☺☻♥♦♣♠•◘○ p.s those hearts and smiley face are a kind of art.

15. yashviparmar
    December 2, 2012 at 8:51 pm (11 years ago)

in my opinion graffiti is vandalism .
    why? well cause when people spary panit outdoors it is not good cause it is not there property and they have not right to do it on someone else`s property.they make billboards look dirty and our city bad.if they want to art why not on a canvas or paper ? why outside .a lot of times the city has to erase it and it is very hard.it is just making more work for the city and people who have to clean it .do you think it is Graffiti art or is it vandalism?

16. tasmiah
    December 3, 2012 at 9:48 am (11 years ago)

I think graffiti is art.But it is also vandilsm.Graffiti is writing,drawing or symbols without the permission of the property owner.

17. trad
    December 4, 2012 at 8:37 am (11 years ago)

spray painting is art but they do on bill boards or canvases.But as well spray paint can also be vandelisame if its on the streets or on walls kaws and banksy arnt spray painting billboars or canvises there doing it outside and thats illigele and its not there property

18. farahhabibi
    December 5, 2012 at 8:34 pm (11 years ago)

I think graffiti is art because there nothing such as no art,for an example your writing that is art,the book “The Dot” explains that if you even make a small dot that could be famous in many different ways to you and espially the people who dont know how to draw and graffiti is vandalism because it makes a hard job for the cleaners to clean that up.