The Spelling Debate!

We live in a world where texting, tweeting and instant messenging or writing messages on a DS is a part of who you are as learners. Is spelling no longer important in 2013? If you think this way then you probably believe that spell check, invented spelling and other ways of communicating are more important than spelling a word exactly or the way the dictionary says .  OR…. If you think that spelling tests, the dictionary and correct spelling is as important to you today as it was 100 years ago then you believe that correct spelling is very important.

Please explain why you think this…back up your answer and “check for errors..ooops…did I say that?”

Here are two articles that may help you:

http://www.growingkids.co.uk/effect-text-messaging-spelling.html

or http://www.cbc.ca/news/pointofview/2010/12/spelling-is-it-important-to-do-it-properly.html

C U L8er

17 Comments on The Spelling Debate!

1. A Shah
    October 1, 2013 at 9:33 am (11 years ago)

Proper spelling is important, but texting has its own language. I think that when you text, it’s okay to use abbreviations. When you have to write a resume or have to write a job Interview, it is important to use proper spelling. The dictionary is a very helpful tool, but when you are texting, you wouldn’t have to use a dictionary. Also, when you have to write something in schol, or something other that’s important, it would be better if you use dictionary. All in all, I am on both sides of the “Spelling Debate”.

2. wesnarawofi
    October 1, 2013 at 8:04 pm (11 years ago)

Spelling is important because if there is spell check the we might not know how to spell the word because it is spelling correctly for us. Also in spelling tests half of the class might get it wrong because they did not practice to spell all there words right. When we grow up we won’t know how to spell anything if your writing on paper. At last I think spelling is important!

3. Arnav
    October 1, 2013 at 10:01 pm (11 years ago)

In this modern time I think spelling is still important!
    For example: If you are texting a friend and you say that “I keep my hare clean with shampoo and then I dry my hare with a blow dryer” (and you spelt hair wrong, your friend will be thinking that you are killing your rabbit). You should know how to write before you type because you will make lots of mistakes when you are trying to type something out. Say if you are texting to your friend, then you finish and say cu l8er. Your friend thinks that my friend needs to improve on his spelling. That is not the way to spell see you later. When you try to spell, your mind is helping you climb up the language tree. Language is like a big tree and when you want to learn you have to start from the roots and climb to the top by improving your spelling.

4. Timothy
    October 2, 2013 at 11:06 am (11 years ago)

I think spelling in 2013 is important because not every one can afford a electronic device. What happens when we don’t use electronics anymore. No one will no how to write anymore. Writing is a big thing many buisneses will go out like pencil companys and paper ones to.

5. Ritika Rocks
    October 2, 2013 at 5:54 pm (11 years ago)

I think that we should not have spell check when we want to say something like Omg Or HELLO try to spell HELLO with capitals. Eny way I think that we should not spell check because if you were talking on the computer with you friends and you didn’t know how to spell something then you would never know how to spell it. So basically what I am trying to say is that we should not have spell check.

6. Nikash
    October 2, 2013 at 6:38 pm (11 years ago)

In modern times I still think spelling is important especially kids going to start school if we don’t use stuff like pencils as we are writing on electronics the device will might just correct the incorrect word so we won’t how to spell the words and that isn’t good as you grow up and some people can’t afford devices so they’ll need to know how to spell words 

7. Jannat
    October 2, 2013 at 7:08 pm (11 years ago)

Spelling is important, because if there was spell check we could have not know how to spell a word because then it spells it correctly for you. Like if you had a really big project and you had to finish it you might get your spelling wrong because probably you didn’t look over or you rushed. Same with grow ups if they have a job interview they have to spell there words correctly. Also, when you are texting to a friend and spell something wrong your friend will be thinking what does that mean your friend will think you need to improve and cheek your spelling.

8. james
    October 2, 2013 at 8:01 pm (11 years ago)

In 2013 spelling is still important! For instance if I were to spell some these words I am typing you wouldn’t understand. I also think spelling is important because not all people can afford these devices. Spelling is important my third reason is what if you were trying to write a test and you spelled something wrong your teacher or whoever wouldn’t know what you were talking about and a point or mark would be taken off. I am trying to say is spelling is important.

9. patrick
    October 2, 2013 at 8:38 pm (11 years ago)

Spelling tests, the dictionary and correct spelling is as important to me today as it was many years ago for many reasons .Spelling tests helped me become a better speller. I was tested every once in a while and since then I think I got better at spelling. I studied families of words like “ion”, “at” and “or” and long vowels inside of words like “ea” ,“ee”,”ei”, “ie”, and “ai” .The dictionary helps me learn the spelling and the definition of words. It also tells me how to pronounce the word too. Correct spelling import today because people that read your writing need to understand your ideas and to say. If your writing is full of errors so people might not want to read it.

10. sulamansyed22
    October 2, 2013 at 8:39 pm (11 years ago)

I think that you should still know spelling. For example if you do a test you will get plenty of spelling mistakes because you do not have spell check and the technology to use it People rely on these tools, they will have a hard time adjusting without it. People should know spelling when a person is going to write there not going to now the correct spelling of words.

11. Alex
    October 2, 2013 at 8:46 pm (11 years ago)

I think that spell check is great but you will never be able to really Learn how to spell things, and it could be quite annoy because when I’m texting I always say yo but spell check corrects it and makes me say no witch is always so annoying because I never take my time and review my text I just type really fast and hit send but if I am wrighting a test then I check and review my anwsers.

12. chintan
    October 3, 2013 at 9:19 am (11 years ago)

spelling tests are important for your spelling if you send a message to someone and
    it is wrong spelling he would what did you say so you need spelling practice

13. bob
    October 3, 2013 at 9:22 am (11 years ago)

i think we should now spelling because if we text people and spell it wrong it will ato corect and that wont teach you anything

14. Ridhi G
    October 3, 2013 at 11:36 pm (11 years ago)

In this situation, I feel more strongly towards doing things the ‘traditional’ way with spelling tests, dictionaries, etc. Both sides have their pros and cons, for example: technology is easier to work with, but it doesn’t allow you to think and edit as a pencil and paper does because of features, such as Spellcheck. Doing things like spelling tests and using other materials will sharpen your mind because you have to remember and memorize the words. The definitions are there in a dictionary. Also, our ancestors invented spelling and grammar for a reason, so that it will be useful to us. I am not saying that we must always do things this way, my point is that we should not rely on computers and other devices so much. Examples are in our everyday life, like when I was typing this and a red line came under a word, I automatically knew that something was spelled incorrectly. Progress and change is helpful in their own ways, but we should still touch up on manually doing things.

15. Rebecca
    October 4, 2013 at 9:23 pm (11 years ago)

I think spelling is important because we need it in our everyday lives.1. When we text, we may spell some words wrongly, so the person you are texting to may not understand what you are saying.2. When we take spelling quizzes, we might spell something wrong, so wrong spelling may also affect our grades.3. We always rely on our devices to correct us, so spelling auto check is good, but it doesn’t teach us to spell properly. In conclusion, I think spelling is a very important part of our lives.

16. Evan
    October 7, 2013 at 7:25 am (11 years ago)

It depends who you are writing to, what you are writing about and how old you are.

If you are writing a something to a teacher or your boss you need to make sure everything is spelled correctly because they are always judging your performance and you want to make a good impression. However, if you are writing something to your friends it does not matter as much because everyone is using short forms like lol.

If you are writing a formal letter, essay or report it is important your spelling is correct so people will under stand you. If you spell a word wrong that has a different meaning but that looks like the word you want to spell it can cause the whole sentence to not make any sense or mean something different. If you are writing a text message to a friend it is not as important if you have spelling mistakes or use short forms. Also, if you spell some words wrong there is an auto correct on electronics like a laptop, iPod and iPad that will fix your mistakes.

Spelling mistakes do not matter so much for young children learning how to write because it is more important to learn to write before learning how to spell.

These are some of the reasons spelling is important sometimes and not as much other times.

17. Ankit
    October 21, 2013 at 7:49 pm (11 years ago)

In my opinion spelling is important in 2013. I think this because spelling is a main part of education. We are getting more and more dependent on technology, we are losing writing abilities. If your device is broken you might need to write with paper and pencil. Most people rely on spell check if they are typing something but spell check can change the word you typed to other synonyms of that word. For these reasons I believe spelling is important in 2013.