Features of Text

1. Find two forms of features of text and explain how it or they help you understand the text. ie. sub-titles, pictures, photos, captions, bold print, italics, cartoons, diagrams etc.

2. Answer in a paragraph….Explain one thing that you learned and one thing that you can relate to or share as an experience.

13 Comments on Features of Text

1. Megan
    May 6, 2009 at 2:28 pm (15 years ago)

Hi its Megan here and I am going to talk about two different types of texts titles and captions. a title is something that labels the section you are reading for example if your reading about hockey there is so many different things you could be reading like the Stanley cup, how to play and so on so with out titles you would be lost and would not know what you are reading. A caption is a little piece of information that you usually find in a non fiction book. it tells you little things like “this is lord Stanley and his cup” or “hey did you know that lacrosse was invented before hockey.” With out captions reading would be sooooooo boring. Well gotta go know bye. : )

2. Manish
    May 6, 2009 at 3:15 pm (15 years ago)

One of the feature of text is hockey night in Canada. The pictures help me understand the text by giving me an example of what they are talking about. The second feature of text is the luck of the Lonnie. The headings under the picture helps me understand who the people are in the picture. Also the headings tell me when the picture was taken.

2. I learned that hockey is a national sport of Canada. No wonder us Canadians are crazy about hockey. Also hockey started in 1875 in Montreal. And the governor general lord Stanley donated the Stanley cup as a trophy in 1893. I can relate to this because I’m a Canadian and i have played hockey before. And I also enjoy watching hockey with my family. Just like a Lonnie penny sometimes brings good luck to me.

3. Nikita
    May 6, 2009 at 4:01 pm (15 years ago)

features of text:
    Ontario or hockey???
    well I chose Ontario for two reasons:
    1)i hate hokey 2)i felt like it
    features of text:
    subtitles and pictures.why? well…
    subtitles- subtitles help me because it make things easier to understand and find like if I wanted to read about common loons i would just have for a subtitle that is around it or it is common loons. if there were no subtitles you would have to read the whole thing!!!!!
    Pictures-well the pictures help me to understand the text because it clearly shows what it is like if the common Lon or trillium picture wasn’t there i might not have known Wat it looked like and i would might not be able to picture get a clear picture of what it looks like.
    what did you chose???
    Nikita 🙂 8) 🙂

4. Sameer
    May 6, 2009 at 4:03 pm (15 years ago)

Titles,sub-titles,pictures,captions,These Features of Text helped me with this non-fiction article. The title helped me to see that the ocncept of this non-fiction article is about Canada with the two main article hockey, and Ontario. Plus the captions helped me see the visualization of the text im reading. (i.e. The Common Loon) The sub-titls also help me read my specific part of what I am reading about. (i.e. Lord Stanley)Last is the pictures which help me observe the animal person or other. I learned that the flower of Ontario’s flower is the trillium. I can relate to that because my favorite color for a flower are white and yellow which a trillium has mostly.

5. Shady
    May 6, 2009 at 4:27 pm (15 years ago)

One of the paragraphs I choose was called LUCK OF THE LOONIE. It caught my attention because it was in bold print and the size was bigger than the other paragraphs. Also there was pictures so it was easier to understand.

The second paragraph is called NICE CUP STANLEY. There is no bold words or big fonts but it caught my attention because it was in the middle of the paper. It also had a huge picture of the Stanley cup right beside so that helped me understand

Something that I can relate to about this hockey paragraph is, that I play hockey with my friends on the street everyday and I play ice hockey every week.

One thing that I learned is, Hockey historians argue where the first real hockey game was played, but the first organized game was at Montreal in 1893.

6. Amber
    May 6, 2009 at 4:33 pm (15 years ago)

Wow!!!! Features of non-fiction text helps me a lot to understand what I am reading.
    2 forms of non-fiction text that I found in “Hockey Night In Canada” are subtitles and captions. Subtitles help me understand the text by giving me a little clue of what the paragraph I am about to read is going to be about. I think that when you are doing an article it is important to have subtitles because if you are doing a big topic like hockey, you have to pick little topics within that topic and some of those topics or ideas might be very different from each other so the subtitles would separate those topics. Captions help me understand the text by telling me what the picture is about.Sometimes when I am reading I do not understand what the text is saying so I look at the picture if there is a picture,find the caption and that usually helps me understand the text.1 thing that I learned was the Stanley cup was named after lord Stanley who donated the trophey to the winning hockey team. Something that I can relate to is when I was 3, I use to watch my big brother play hockey,I thought that he was on the NHL but he wasnt and I thought that if he won a hockey game his team would get the stanely cup and they would name it after my big brother!! I soon learned that wasn’t the case. So,features of non-fiction text helps you understand what you are reading and also gives you a chance to relate to some things!!!!!!
    Thank You!!!!!!!!!!

7. Moksha
    May 6, 2009 at 4:51 pm (15 years ago)

The first thing that I learned was that on the page where it says hockey night in Canada there is a picture of a guy. Before I read the captions I didn’t know who it was but after I read it I understood that is Lord Stanley. The second thing I learned was that the title. If the title wasn’t there I wouldn’t know what the article is about. ( I would know after I read the article ) One of the fact that I learned was that in Canada Hockey is famous then any other sport. People can go crazy is the players goaled a puck. I don’t believe that. If that wasn’t there then I wouldn’t know that hockey is that much famous in Canada.

8. ali
    May 6, 2009 at 5:23 pm (15 years ago)

How do the features of texts help me understand the sheet? For me, the photos really help me. It lets me know more about each paragraph. They are also big so they’re easy to see. Another feature of text I see in the paragraph are the the sun-titles. A lot of them are big so they can be seen, and they are short, simple and straight to the point.These are some of the features of text that help me understand the paragraph.

What is one thing I learned and something I can relate to? In the paragraph Why The Name? I learned something from it. It showed me that even the name Ontario has to do with the lake. What is something I can relate to? Well, the paragraph luck of the loonie has some relation that happened in my life. I was playing foot hoackey, and my team kept losing, but magically in the middle recess, we won 8-4! It was the first win we had in a long time.

9. Cameron McCabe
    May 6, 2009 at 6:10 pm (15 years ago)

The Standly cup on the side of the paragraph showed me that this paragraph is going to be about hockey. Luck of the loonie sub-title also helped me understand the paragraph.I learned from the photo of Lord Standly, I learned that the Standly Cup was named after Lord Standly. A picture that I can realate to is the Trillium, they grow at our cottage. Tey are butiful flowers. So that`s my features of text. BIY!

10. Maddie
    May 6, 2009 at 7:20 pm (15 years ago)

1. Photo’s, pictures and diagrams are helpful because they allow you to see detail that you might not visualize from reading the text alone.
    Sub-titles and headings are helpful because they help you understand the main idea.
    2. I learned that the Stanley Cup is named after Lord Stanley of Preston who was the governor general of Canada in 1893.
    I have noticed a picture of a Trillium (Ontario’s provincial flower) on the Trillium Health Centre where I was born.

11. Esther
    May 6, 2009 at 7:25 pm (15 years ago)

The subtittles help me understand the text because it gives me an idea of what the text is going to be about. For example, luck of the loonie might be about how hockey teams used loonies for luck.(I got the idea of hockey teams because there were two pictures near it with a hockey team.)
    …. (reading) ….
    wow, who knew a loonie can be used for good luck. what I learned is that a canadian worker hid a loonie in the ice. Kinda wierd, but true. Hmmm, if the lonnie was on the ground and it was for good luck……….. HEY, a connection!!!!
    in grade one I found a toonie (not loonie but toonie) on the “ground” and I used it for ‘good luck’ so I got a lucky tonnie like the loonie …… but it wasn’t on display in the hockey hall of frame 🙁 anyways that’s all i’ve got to say,
    bye!!!!!!

Esther 🙂 😀 😉 😛 8) 🙂

12. Niraj
    May 6, 2009 at 7:30 pm (15 years ago)

“What a shot by Ovechkin”. “This guy just has pure skill ,Don”. If you miss a hockey game you will probably see it in the news. What feature of text I’m talking about is Pictures! They are very helpful.Like lets say a man can’t read english but he’s a big fan of the Blue Jays. Well he can look at the picture and most likley tell what happend and who won.

This second text feature was used in the paragragh above. Did you get it? It was quotation marks. If you didn’t know quotation marks are the 2 small short lines you put at the top of a sentence if someone is saying something. Quotation marks help you as a reader to know who is saying what and when.

One thing that I have learned is that a bold print word in a book is most likley in the back of a glossary.One thing I can relate to is a ven-diagram. Me and my brother compair each of our grade 5 report cards. One side would be me, other side him and whatever was commen in the middle.

13. Dante Jakupovski
    May 7, 2009 at 6:41 am (15 years ago)

The Ontario’s coat of arms picture really helps me know what it looks like. When I read about it I had a way different picture in my head. The Picture of the trillium shows me what it looks like or else I wouldn’t know what it looks like.