Main Idea: VIDEO / WRITING

monday-homework-instructions

With one month left, you are into your final final stretch as grade 5 learners.  Show us how you back up ideas with evidence in your paragraphs.

Tonight’s homework:  Watch the video and answer related questions.

1.  What is the main idea of the video, in your opinion.  Your opinion paragraph must be backed up with evidence from what you viewed.

2. Character:  Is there a character that you identified with.  Explain who and why (relate your favourite character to someone in your life)

3. Critical Thinking: What stereotypes or biases are shown in this video. They could be used in the characters characteristics, or in the story line.

Video to watch:  http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/player/kids/cartoons-tv-movies-kids/iggy-arbuckle-kids/idle-iggy-kids.html

10 Comments on Main Idea: VIDEO / WRITING

1. Zoha Rahman
    May 25, 2009 at 3:06 pm (15 years ago)

1.Are you guys wondering what the main idea of the video was.Well why don’t I tell you the main idea.The main idea of the video was about a little boy Iggy who always wanted to meet manly(a hero of Iggy) but on that day he did meet manly and he was so happy.But manly may not be the kind of explorer that Iggy was expecting but then at the same time manly learned how nature actually is.

2.Iggy reminds me of me(Zoha) Because Iggy always wanted to meet manly and I always wanted to meet Selena Gomez

3.To me in the video it seems that Iggy is sometimes hiper about a couple of things

2. Sameer
    May 25, 2009 at 3:34 pm (15 years ago)

Manly Boarman, Iggy’s role model and idle. Main idea is about Iggy’s role model to inspire him into becoming a explorer. But Boarman is not really the one that Iggy thought of as a proffessional explorer instead is the opposite aand is really into the modern cell phone and other electronics. My cousin named Faizan who I get along with alot. Iggy is my favorite character since Faizan is like Iggy with good ideas on the spot, very positive, and kind. Also since Iggy is clumsy in a way because in the opening theme how he falls of the cliff it shows some clumsiness, which relates to my cousin. Iggy Arbuckle is very stereotyped since usually your idle or rolemodel is a person whop you think is very comitted to his priority. Suppose Manly Boarman who was shown as a fat, opposite of exploring type of person then the stereotyped way how he is strong, and the “Manly” in Manly Boarman. Also how people are so determined that there role model is what they thought (i.e. Iggy’s strong heart believing in Manly Boarman that he was actually a really good explorer)

Hope you liked my paragraph =P

3. amira
    May 25, 2009 at 4:21 pm (15 years ago)

Deep inside the mountain
    the adventures hide themselves.
    They are of all forms and shapes.
    They all have an excellent ending,
    because those that life their lives in adventure
    see the world in an extra ordinary special way.

To climb Mount Everest, discover a brand new world. All this needs is an imagination with a touch of pride and glory; to believe in your self and know you are going to make it to the end.

Just put on those shades and travel faster threw time! Maybe life it self is one big adventure
    if only you have the correct shades on.
    Never believe that someone is better than you. That is a tale that was said in today’s show.

The main message that is trying to get sent to us in this episode is… sometimes in this world there are going to be people that you will believe they have a talent that is more worthy than yours known as idol worship this is proven in the show. Than you will inherit the talent and make it become a part of you. But in the end like in the show, Iggy (main character) found out his role model was a jerk. You end up as the talented one. Also, in this episode several times Iggy saves his role models life from pink flamingoes, diving into a volcano and last but not least getting digested by a hippopotamus!!!!!
    One of the characters I have identified with someone in my life is jiggers the beaver to one of my cousins named Sarah.
    The similarities of this animated character to my cousin is that they always find a solution to fix the problem. In the flamingo problem, jiggers chewed a store and out of it he made a bridge to round up the flamingo’s to be were they belong. Compared to Sarah she would find a solution probably related to this one. Also, she is very
    Good in P, n AND W.

Anywhere in life there will always be stereotypes. A few of these stereotypes are that the pig that is not iggy was famous and rich. WHAT was shown the big pig looked like he was strong but he was a sacredly cat. Iggy was the real champion with Jiggers.

Watch the show!!!!! What do you think of it?

4. Manish
    May 25, 2009 at 5:18 pm (15 years ago)

1. The main idea of the TV show was that your hero’s aren’t always the same as you expect them to be. For example just like in the show. One of the reasons are Iggy’s hero Manly was not an adventurer at all. It looked like he was in no touch with nature. Iggy’s friend jiggers helped Manly get out of danger all the time. For example Jiggers helped Manly and Iggy escape from the volcano. And also Iggy and Jiggers helped manly escape the hippo from being eaten.

2. My favourite character was Jiggers. The person I can relate too is my friend Ali. The character can relate to him because the character Jiggers was smart. Also, Jiggers would help save people from doing something dangerous. Ali is really smart and would help some one from doing something dangerous, and that’s why Jigger’s reminds me of Ali.

3.One of the stereotypes in this video, was that Manly was a brave person because of the way he dressed. He dressed like he was a brave and adventurous person, so everybody assumed that he was a brave person. But in the end Jiggers had to save Manly and Iggy from the volcanoes, now if Manly was as brave and courageous as people think he is, he would have been able to save him self.

5. Cameron McCabe
    May 25, 2009 at 5:44 pm (15 years ago)

Wow! Good video! The main idea of this video is the little pig thought the bigger pig was a hero but he really was not a hero. In the video the little pig always saved his hero and his hero always is talking on his cell phone and not paying atention to any thing. The stereotype in this video is the big pig bieng strong does not mean that he is a better adventurer the the small pig. Oh, look at the time I better be going. Bye!

6. Vanessa Grima
    May 25, 2009 at 5:57 pm (15 years ago)

1. The video, the main idea of the video is about where Iggy Arbucle had his hero Manly Boarman come to Mooseknuckle. When Iggy goes on a adventure with him things didn’t go as planed with Manly the hero. Things went bad for him because he was always tiring to call some one but he would get him self in danger and all most tired to kill him self by accident. Also Iggy was expecting Manly to be the kind of explorer dude that he was thinking but not really!
    2. Iggy, he doesn’t really relate to any one in my family but he is like me because I am like a adventure kind of perosn, I like to go out in the summer sometimes and look at the sun set and hike! Also I like the enviorment and love animals but i don’t think that flamgo’s are very scary.
    3.The video was a sterotype because Iggy, reads in the magnizne that Manly was power, adventure man that was filled will yeah adventure.. soon later in he doesn’t seem like it but at the end of the video he gave his passion for nature and Iggy was right there deep down there was a loving nature expolar!

Bye hope u like V
    PEACE!

7. Tara Tomlinson
    May 25, 2009 at 6:14 pm (15 years ago)

Man that guy in the video must have gotten really hurt.
    The main idea of this video was that everyone isn’t who they look like they are. Iggy, the main character of this book, learned that his hero wasn’t that great. In this video, I found out that none of these characters are like anyone in my family. The stereotypes used in this video are that the adverturous guy has to be big and macho. The reason why is that the big guy is a softy and the little guys are the tough ones. See, everything isn’t what it seems; well in this case everyone isn’t who they seem.

By:Tara

8. Moksha
    May 25, 2009 at 6:21 pm (15 years ago)

That movie was amazing and I really loved it. The main idea was. A guy came from somewhere to meet idle. His little friend named piggy didn’t really like him. That guy didn’t really care about nature. So he tried to destroy it. The guy once came into big trouble and no one could help him but the piggy guy helped him. After that he realized that we should care about nature. The
    Character I want to identify is my friend she lives near by me. She had this friend who really didn’t care about nature. So that day my friend showed her a video form that video she convinced her self that we should care about nature.
    bye

9. Maddie
    May 25, 2009 at 6:35 pm (15 years ago)

1. The main idea of the video is that Iggy Arbuckle admires Manly Boarman and wants to be like him. I know this because his friend Jiggers says that Manly was the swine that inspired Iggy to be an explorer. In the end Iggy finds out that Manly is not the brave explorer that he was supposed to be. After rescuing Manly and themselves from a number of adventures gone wrong, and seeing themselves on the cover of Big Pig Magazine, Iggy and Jiggers learn to trust themselves and be proud of who they are.
    2. The character Iggy reminds me of myself because I admired Chris Brown for who the media made him out to be. But just like Iggy, I found out later that Chris Brown is not such a big shot after all.
    3. One stereotype is that rich and famous people (like Manly) should be admired for their wealth. Another is that small skinny little dudes (like Iggy) can’t be strong and independent, but big tough guys (like Manly) are.

10. Aqsa
    May 25, 2009 at 8:07 pm (15 years ago)

Iggy Iggy Arbuckle, IIIggy Iggy Arbuckle! Today’s episode of Iggy Arbuckle was called “Idle Worship.” No, it’s not about praying to God. The main idea of this video is that Iggy was going to have adventures with his favourite idol, Manny. Manny was an explorer, and he inspired Iggy to become an explorer, too. After Iggy spent some time with Manny, to get to know who he really is, Iggy found out that Manny wasn’t actually what everyone says he’s like. The moral of this story is that you never get to know what someone or something is like until you experience it. A character I can relate to would be Iggy. Iggy reminds me of, well, ME. This is because

1. I love to explore
    2. I used to be so attached to an idol
    and
    3.I problem solve as quick as him (sometimes)

This comes from your student AQSA SHOAIB KHAN ALAM!