Changing School?

podcast

Watch this video.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/digitalnation/learning/schools/education-20.html?play
What is the main idea this video Education 2.0?

Do you agree with change or is school fine the way it is. Think about it for a moment.
100 years ago, there were one room school houses where 10 kids ranging from grade 1-8 were in one class….now there are classes that are taught virtually over the internet using web-cams.

Does our traditional view of  schools need to change and if so, how?

What are aspects of school that you like that you wouldnt like to see change?

20 Comments on Changing School?

1. nabeel
    February 27, 2012 at 5:53 pm (12 years ago)

I think the main idea is that schools should change and that schools need to catch up with all the information kids learn from everywhere else. I do agree with change in our school like having some playground equipment like slides,monkey bars and stuff like that. One aspect is that I like that I don’t want to change is pals and DPA. No I think our traditional view of schools doesn’t need to change.

2. raafiah
    February 27, 2012 at 7:11 pm (12 years ago)

some of schools need to change that all schools should have uniforms because if got lost then anyone can bring u back to the school. but what i dont want to change is how they learn at school. what do i mean by is how nice teachers behavors r.
    so what i mean by is that they do not bring a stick and slap us. these r all m opinnons.

3. Ananya
    February 27, 2012 at 7:17 pm (12 years ago)

The main idea of this video is that we should make changes on how kids are being taught at school. Kids should be able to come to school and learn anything they want to learn whether they want to use paper and pencil or computers. The person in the video’s point is that schools and teachers need to catch future knowedge like internet and we should use electronics more often since we have lot’s of things like tv, laptops and ipods.

We should have some changes in school but I still think that some things are just great the way they are. One good change they made was that now we have 4-5 different classes for each grade and before there was just 1 class from grade 1-8. All teachers should give the students their homework on blogs instead of giving it on paper.

We should still write but it should just be in a different way. For example instead of using pencils all the time some of the times we can use office writer. A thing that needs to change is that instead of the teacher talking all the time we should do more projects and group work. We should be able to use laptops but sometimes we should use pencils. We should use paper and pencil for math but for language we should use the computer more often. New technology should be provided for kids like more computers. We learn by using books but people should get more used to using the internet to learn.

A thing that I wouldn’t want to change is the library because I still enjoy reading books from the library instead of reading on the computer. I would not like to change dpa because it’s really fun. Tecnology is really fun but you shouldn’t always be using it. Instead you should do a bit of typing and a bit of writing.

These are the changes I want and the changes I don’t want.

By Ananya

4. Aira
    February 27, 2012 at 8:25 pm (12 years ago)

The main idea of this video is that people should stop thinking “School is boring; it is all pencil and paper. I HATE SCHOOL” instead they should think “School is so much fun; it is not just paper and pencil it’s also stuff like podcasts. I LOVE SCHOOL”.

100 years ago, there was one classroom in the whole school. Kids ranged from grade 1-8 in one class; now all that has changed. Now we have individual classes that are arranged by our grades; but I think it is not good enough. I say we should be able to do things the way we want; like we do in our class. The reason I say this is because we do it but everyone in every school should do the something as us.

One thing I wouldn’t like to change is the stetting. What I mean by the setting is that I don’t want a school with only one room like they had 100 years ago. I also don’t want to change the settings is because I don’t want to have hole class with people from grade 1 to grade 8.

5. Zoe
    February 28, 2012 at 3:56 pm (12 years ago)

this video was aboout how all teachers should not be doing papper and pencil work everyday dail bases. we should do podcats and tuxedo not just paper and pencil not everything has to be paper and pencil there is not only one way to leaarn! there is more than paper and pencil people dont you see theres so many other ways tolearn! plus i think people should not haft to ask to go to the washroom what if you haft to go so badley you go out of the room to go not wait and ask then iyou pee yourself! thats not fun and espcily we should never ever haft to wear uniforms,other schools do and i think thats wroung! everbody is all the same its so muuch better to be diffrent then to be the same!

6. Aya
    February 28, 2012 at 6:15 pm (12 years ago)

The main idea of the video is that teachers should start changing the was of teaching and students should change the way of learning.

Students should start changing there way of learning with pencil and paper because if students keep using pencil and paper they might be really tired and keep saying “we hate learning” and if the say that they will probably tell there parents “we don’t want to go to school because we are always writing with pencil and paper and it is really boring.”

Teachers should change there way by learning because if they keep teaching with pencil and paper it will be boring for students and teachers. So they should change there way of teaching to teaching with technology,but they should not change everything because to technology and if they do,the students work might be rewind because if they use the computer or a program they might have a problem. I don’t think anything else should be changed.

Those are the things the the school needs to change.

7. kindreeluke

I think the video is trying to say that school needs to change and teach kids what they are into and experience it with others and practice not just have a test on something they dont like and know
    yes they should change school to something like this and if lots of people are intrested in video games then they should teach them gaming stuff like how to make a video game and I love hockey so in my gym time i should be able to practise what I like which is hockey. Yes they should change school and make it better.

8. mackenzie
    February 28, 2012 at 6:44 pm (12 years ago)

We don’t need to change the way school is because i like how there’s technology in school because it gets kids not so board if your still teaching them the same thing but the way were doing the work should be our choice weather its threw prezi, voice threads, or even just typing or even a blog like this there are many ways to give work and it should be our choice the way we wont to do it and i find in our class we get to do that, and one more thing people should be what to do because your the boss of your self i mean its still nice to listen to people but if u really didn’t wont to then u shouldn’t!!!

9. Ryan
    February 28, 2012 at 7:49 pm (12 years ago)

I think that the main idea of the video was that in stead of standing up at the front of the class and talking teachers should be interacting more with the students and use more technology to teach lessons.

I think that the traditional view of school should be changes by Using more technology in the classroom like i pads and laptops.

What i like about school is gym and science as well as recess and what i would like to see change is french, instead of having two periods i would only like to have one period. Also i would also like to have more Dpa because i find we don’t have enough of Dpa.

10. riyam
    February 28, 2012 at 8:32 pm (12 years ago)

The main idea in the video is…
    school should change the way of learning.
    student need to learn about (group work,sharing things,project work,case work,geting their opinions)and change some information that make painful,takes time and the man said in the video that kids can do learn anything they want.

I don’t agree with the change.because I LOVE SCHOOL and we have different way to learn and school does’nt need any changes.

11. Ariq Ahsan
    February 28, 2012 at 10:20 pm (12 years ago)

There are many things that I don’t prefer at school, but at the same time there are many thing that I do prefer. Some of things that I do prefer are need for more physical education (gym) and a locker to keep my things more secure. But as I said earlier, there are a lot of things at school which I don’t want to change. Like art, gym, computer lab, field trips and more. Something else is that we have a really nice teacher (Mr.Woods) and I don’t want to change that. There is a lot of social work and there are many ways you can choose to learn, like from a computer, text book or Alpha Smart. This is my opinion about what I want are not want to change at school.

12. kindreeluka
    February 29, 2012 at 9:40 am (12 years ago)

This video is about kids thinking school is so boring and a waste of time,but not if your using prezis,having your own blog,tagxedos,and much more! kids think school is boring because the stereo type for teachers is that they give you a lot of tests,they do non stop hard math,and that they only like the students with straight A’s,there might be some teachers like that but not all teachers are like that. the man in the video was saying that kids can learn what ever they want and they should be able to chose what they want to learn,and they shouldn’t be board. i would not like to change how we learn because it is already really fun because we are using technology to learn! i would rather be doing that then opening a text book and doing things from there.

13. Hala
    February 29, 2012 at 6:01 pm (12 years ago)

the main idea is that kids really don’t` like school and there bored of it and cant wait to go home. but school is really fun and we do lots of fun things like watch videos. I think school is fine the way it is because we are already have so much fun. I would like to change the two basketball nets with new ones because they look old and the nets are cut off. and there should also be 1 or 2 other basketball nets so if other people want to play there can be enough nets for everyone. i also think we should have more space in the hard top so we can move freely. We should have a sports section like a space for basketball nets and floor hockey.
    By: Hala

14. cam
    February 29, 2012 at 8:20 pm (12 years ago)

The main idea is that kids don’t like school so they want teachers to teach us with prezi,voice thread. wordle and tagezedo to make it fun for kids so they don’t get bored like when we do tests and work sheets with text books.

15. Rhianne
    February 29, 2012 at 8:35 pm (12 years ago)

The main idea of Education 2.0 is that schools needs to change the way they are teaching kids. The man that is talking in the video thinks that learning isn’t about a teacher talking all day and kids listening but it’s about kids being able to learn by doing and exploring on their own and finding their passion or what they are really interested in or excited about. He thinks that schools need to have technology and kids need to use computers and the internet at school to learn more things. He doesn’t think that books and librarians are what kids use today to learn.

I think the traditional view of schools needs to change because I think kids need to be more involved everyday in what they learn by being able to participate in activities inside the classroom and outside the classroom. I don’t think that everyone learns the same way so I don’t think that just having a teacher talk in front of the class all day is going to help everyone. Some kids learn by listening, some kids learn by communicating and some kids learn by doing it. So schools need to change so that every kid can learn better depending on how they learn the best. I think that part of this is letting kids use the computer and technology more than using paper and pen.

Some parts of school that I like that I wouldn’t want to see change are gym, music, art and science. I like these classes because they are the most fun because I am actually doing activities in these classes to learn. I don’t feel like I am surrounded by a desk in these classes and I can be free and open. If something is fun and interesting, then kids may learn easier.

By Rhianne

16. anami
    March 1, 2012 at 6:59 pm (12 years ago)

The main idea of this video is that we should make changes on how the kids are being taught at school they and should be able to learn what they want to learn and what they do not know.pay more attention to what is right now and what is in the future like by not using all paper and pencil for homework because there are so many other things you can use for example electrics such as laptops,ipods computers.I also think that kids are thinking that schools are boring and is a waste of time but it is not boring if you are using prezis,and blogs and other fun and educational websites. This is why I think that the schools should change!

17. Mackenzie
    March 5, 2012 at 5:13 pm (12 years ago)

We don’t need to change the way school is. I like how there’s technology in school because it gets kids to be interested. If your still teaching them the same thing, it should be our choice whether it’s through a Prezi, Voicethreads, just typing or even a blog like this, there are many ways to give work. It should be our choice the way we want to do it and I find in our class we do get to do that. There’s nothing wrong with being different… in fact, it’s better to be different so it makes you yourself. Technology in schools is something that all kids need.

18. elijah
    March 6, 2012 at 10:42 am (12 years ago)

The main idea of the video is schools should change the way that teachers talk to the students. The other reason is school needs to get more fun and read more. The other reason is there should be more tecnolgy like prezi,alpha smart,blogs. All of this will make more easier.

19. rasheda
    March 6, 2012 at 11:11 am (12 years ago)

The main idea of this vedio is that school needs to change the way they teach kids. Teachers need to find a diffrent way to make the learning fun not boring. Kids might be listning but there not actully interested in what the teachers have to say.

And kids need to think about school as a fun place to be not a boring place. Most of the kids think of school is this place that you come and you pick up a papper and pencil and write down what the teacher tells you to. But it’s not it’s a place where there is computers you can use the computers to learn.

You can use fun sites to help you learn.School doesn’t have to be a place where you are not looking forward to coming you have to change the way you think of school and the only way that

20. RICHARD
    March 6, 2012 at 12:00 pm (12 years ago)

I like to use computers at school because I go on Raz-kids and read books.
    I go on google to get pictures and information about Germanay.
    I use the computers to write my aganda.
    I make prezis on the computers.
    I wish everyone use the computers.