Is Hallowe’en Great or Not?

History of Hallowe’en: http://www.history.com/content/halloween

or http://www.halloweenhistory.org/

Write a paragraph outlining your position. Make sure you have an interesting opening sentence and an interesting closer.

Student example:

Trick-Or-Treat!Halloween is the best night ever!You can enjoy time with friends,eat candy and dress up as what every person or thing you want!It is the 2′nd best time to pull pranks on people.It is a scary, tasty, fun time.When ever i finish trick-or-treating i always trade candy with friends.Halloween is the 1 of the best holidays ever!HAPPY HALLOWEEN!-BOO!

or:

Hallowen is not a great holiday, if it’s a holiday shouldn’t you get a day off of school and work? Why isn’t it during the whole day? Why? I tell you why to scare you silly and for what, a little bit of candy! I could get some candy for less then a buck.
After you go trick or treating you go to bed thinking about monsters and stuff. Why? Because it isn’t a good holiday. I don’t like to get scared. Do you?

Share your ideas.

23 Comments on Is Hallowe’en Great or Not?

1. souvik
    October 15, 2012 at 3:22 pm (12 years ago)

Hello!! halloween is here its a great holiday, you get candy and chocolate bars and more!!. But the bad part is that you have to buy a costume and what?? it costs money and my parents won’t buy me the costume.I have another concern its that its not a national holiday. But another great part is that you can dress up as vampires, ghosts, zombies and many more things. If my parents buy me a costume and if halloween is a national holiday halloween is my favourite holiday.

2. trad
    October 15, 2012 at 3:24 pm (12 years ago)

halloween is awesome its one of my favourite holiday because you can dress up as anything you want like a zombie or a vampire or you can be somthing normal like your friend or a super hero like batman or spider-man and you can get a bag or a bucket and go out late at night and get so much candy and its great because you can decorate your house with scary decorations like coution signs that sy stay out and rip signs and fake blood and thats why Halloween is AWESOME!!!

3. kaileyfrost
    October 15, 2012 at 4:29 pm (12 years ago)

YAY…. HALLOWEEN is here !!!!!! hallowen is LOTS of fun.You get to decorate your house and vist other peoples house,The houses are sometimes REALLY scary.you also get to dress up as something fun or spooky!the all time best part of halloween is going trick or treating with your friends,seeing how much candy you got and tradeing candy. HAVE A VERY SCARY HALLOWEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Paragraph Kailey. It sounds like you are super excited for the 31st. Well done!

4. chrismyrox
    October 15, 2012 at 4:44 pm (12 years ago)

Halloween is a good holiday but I think that we should have a day off from school. Even though that is in the evening it would not hurt to get ready through out the day. Halloween is the time of year when you can ask people for candy and they will give it to you. But you can also dress up like anything you want so I do think Halloween is great.

5. kylawinger
    October 15, 2012 at 4:56 pm (12 years ago)

HALLOWEEN IS HERE….HIP HIP HORAY!!!!!!!! Halloween is the greatest day ever. I love going trick or treating with my family and friends. On Halloween you get candy, to dressup as whatever you want to be, you get to decorate your house, it is the spookiest night ever. Halloween is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much fun. You go to other peoples houses to get candy and to see there decorations for the spookeyiest night in the whole WORLD. I can’t wait for Halloween. So I can say BOO!!!!!!!!!

6. viduni
    October 15, 2012 at 5:20 pm (12 years ago)

Halloween is a holiday celebrated on the night of October 31. Halloween also known as Hallowe’en or All Hallows’ Eve includes traditional activities include trick-or-treating, bonfires, costume parties, visiting “haunted houses” and carving jack-o-lanterns. Trick-or-treating, is an activity for children on or around Halloween in which they proceed from house to house in costumes, asking for treats with the question, “Trick or treat?”.Halloween is popular in the United States,the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Canada. I can’t wait until Halloween.

7. rachel
    October 15, 2012 at 6:01 pm (12 years ago)

finally! Halloween is here! Halloween is the time for candy and scarying other kids on your street. I like to hit as many houses I can becaues my sister and I are the only ones that do the trick or treting in my house. My favaruite part about halloween is when you can dress up as anthing you want to, I perfore thouht to dress up like something funny. Just so I colect alot of cany I like to bring a garbeg bag, so I can carry ALOT of candy. On halloween most people like to pick to go the scary houses. Every year theres this one house that is called the ”haunted house” and you go inside because they have all spooked out in there! Another cool part about halloween is that some people want to scare you so much that they walk arund the street like they are real zombies, crazy people, vampires and lots more.

Have fun this year!

8. anannya123
    October 15, 2012 at 6:33 pm (12 years ago)

October 31! I love Halloween because we get 3 sacks
    overflowed with candy. Halloween is A.K.A All Hallows’ Eve. You can dress up as a vampire, ghost, zombie and a whole lot more after that you have to wait a year more.But there is few days for Halloween so start decorating your house as a hunted house !

9. yashvi
    October 15, 2012 at 6:45 pm (12 years ago)

halloween? do you think it is a great holiday or not? well i think it great! we get to were costumes ,scary our friends, go trick or treating ,eqat candy,. but to make halloween even great we should do thing that stared halloween too not the bon fire but other things. happy halloween everyone!

10. tasmiah
    October 15, 2012 at 7:39 pm (12 years ago)

Halloween is a really amusing holiday.It is the day where the dead come alive cause mischief and harm around the world.That is why on halloween people like to pull pranks.People wear costumes on halloween to scare the evil that is roaming around the world on halloween.Some popular activites people do on haalloween is apple boobing trick or treating pulling pranks and much more…Putting on halloween decorations is a very common thing that people do to scare away the ghosts and monsters.Trick or treating is a halloween tradition where children go house to house to collect candy.The trick in “trick or treat” is a threat to tell homeowners that if no treat is given something abominable will happen.Halloween is a very diverting holiday that people can celebrate. HAVE A SCARY HALLOWEEN!!!!!!!

11. kindreenicholas
    October 15, 2012 at 8:50 pm (12 years ago)

Halloween is great because u get lots of candy and you get to pick out your own costume. YOU by pumpkins and you carve it into a face or what ever you want it to be. you also get to visit other peoples house and dress your house up and make it look really scary. HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!

12. myahussain
    October 15, 2012 at 9:44 pm (12 years ago)

halloween is a nice holliday it is really fun we look for it from year to another wondering which costume to wear.some times it is really scarry which I dont like (it gives me nightmares)but in general i like it at school more than at night in the streats. you can have lots of candey but make shure you dont upset the dentist. you can tell ghost stories and play tricks on others. you can also go trick or treeting. but my favourite part is carving the pumkin hope you have a spookey hallowen!!!!!!
    mya

13. farahhabibi
    October 16, 2012 at 5:30 pm (12 years ago)

Halloween is a scary holiday but also a wonderful time of year because you get to go trick-o-treating and collect lots of candy.You even will get to wear a scary costume like a vampire or one of your own.
    I think halloween is a scary and a tasty holiday.

Have a spooky halloween!!!

14. rayaq
    October 16, 2012 at 6:07 pm (12 years ago)

Halloween is the best because you go trick-or-treating the best part is that there is candy involved with cause when you go door to door you get candy candy and CANDY.Last year I went as a guy in a mask and the good part is I had my baby cousin my 4 year old cousin and my sister with me. So we get 4 times as much candy. Also my cousins went back Pakistan witch is sad. But me and my sister get the candy at least something good happened.But the thing is we don’t give the candy put up any decoration or carve a pumkin. That is all
    Rayaq

15. Amrita
    October 16, 2012 at 6:11 pm (12 years ago)

October 31st the day we celebrate the wonderful holiday of halloween. I love halloween because you can go trick or treating and dress up in a scary outfit
    such as a VAMPIRE or a WITCH! I love the candy, the costumes, the colors, autumn, just the whole atmosphere of it! Halloween is one of the holidays when you can dress up, decorate your door, get together with family, and go knock on doors of houses and ask for CANDY! I love the CREEPY sounds SCARY music, some SCARY stories. It’s a wonderful time of the year when you can go PUMPKIN CARVING ! I love black cats and witches and ghosts. Halloween is my favourite HOLIDAY of the YEAR! And thats why I LOVE HALLOWEEN ! Finally Halloween is here. Have a great one !Have a HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

16. om
    October 16, 2012 at 7:08 pm (12 years ago)

Halloween is a great holiday. you get to decorate your house and make it be scary plus you get to dress in costumes and go around and ask people for candy and eat the candy after. OCTOBER 31ST THE BEST DAY EVER!!!!! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

17. abmississauga
    October 16, 2012 at 7:22 pm (12 years ago)

Halloween is finally here!!!!!!!! Halloween is a great holiday where we Dress up in a spooky costume and go trick or treating with our friends then get candy. Also we carve pumpkins which I like to do with my dad. I love Halloween and Am SUPER exited for it.
    Have A SCARY Halloween 😉

18. kindreebrady
    October 16, 2012 at 8:32 pm (12 years ago)

As scary as it is, I still like Halloween! It is a great holiday because it is fun to be out at night going house to house getting candy. I have allergies so I can’t even eat what I collect. Instead, the Great Pumpkin comes to exchange my candy for toys that I have wished for. Halloween is fun. Every year we go to a Halloween party. There is a haunted house a couple of street away where my friends like to go. Beware… there is a guy with a chainsaw. I prefer not to risk my life in there. Happy Halloween everyone and have fun trick or treating.

-great paragraph and I love that the great pumpkin comes and you can exchange your candy.
    Well done Brady—Mr.Woods

19. Neeraj
    October 18, 2012 at 9:00 pm (12 years ago)

Halloween is a really nice holiday because you can wear costumes and decorate your house. I love to go with my friend for trick or treating. You get lot of candy like chocolate, lollypop, gum, and etc. That’s why I like Halloween.

20. batman26618
    October 19, 2012 at 5:13 pm (12 years ago)

21. tubusces (ethan)
    October 21, 2012 at 12:26 pm (12 years ago)

To me Halloween is great because you get to have fun with your friends you get to run around and get candy and the best part of all you get to eat all the candy you get! oh and I almost forgot you get to dress up as what ever you want and stay up really late and that is why I think Halloween is great.

22. anika
    October 23, 2012 at 9:44 pm (12 years ago)

October 31 is the day we celebrate Halloween .Halloween is the day when you go to door to door hunted houses to get candy.Halloween is really fun and amusing you can even dress up as anything you want to such as,vampire,witch,mummy ect…My faviourte part of Halloween is getting scared out of my pants and to me every Halloween gets better and better also my faviourte Hallaween costume is a…..VAMPIRE.i hope every body has a happy hallaween this year because you dont know what gonna happen BOO.

23. Rozetta
    November 8, 2012 at 6:42 pm (12 years ago)

Hi everyone

Halloween is really really great because you can make your house look scary and at the same time dress up scary

From Rozetta