Kids working?

In Canada, there are restrictions on how kids work…where they can work….and when they can start working.  In this article: http://www.timeforkids.com/TFK/kids/specials/articles/0,28285,1043474,00.html

please read, respond and give us a “Your Say” paragraph on this complicated issue.   About 250 million (about 8 times the total population of Canada) children between ages 5 and 14 work. About half of all child laborers work full-time. Many kids work in hard and often dangerous jobs. They do not go to school. Experts agree there is a lot kids can do to help child laborers everywhere. We read Branded and this book addressed this issue.  How should we, Canada and  the world react to this issue now as it appears it is not going away?  Please give evidence from the text to support your answer.

Here are some websites that help support ending this problem.

http://endchildlabor.org/

A tv show on migrant workers…like those children we read about in Amelia’s Road.

20 Comments on Kids working?

1. anannya123
    April 3, 2013 at 7:15 pm (11 years ago)

kids should not do this work. I believe they should have the right to study and go to school like me.
    Not work in the fields 10 hours a day in the hot sun. they understand their family problem. In the cold season the go to school, but in the summer and spring they work in the fields. so I believe they should not work in the fields.

2. anannya123
    April 3, 2013 at 7:16 pm (11 years ago)

by anannya

3. kaileyfrost
    April 3, 2013 at 7:40 pm (11 years ago)

We should react by paying more attention.We should first bring it to the media’s attention because almost everyone listens to the news or radio in the morning. Once people find out they may start fundraisers and people will donate.Then more kids will get educated on child labourer and hopefully the amount of how much child labourer happens will go way down.

4. Om
    April 3, 2013 at 8:18 pm (11 years ago)

I think they should stop child labor because children should be going to school and not be working hard and getting so little pay. Also in Branded Eric and his friends didn’t wear their uniforms because they are made by child labor, even though they would get suspended for 3 days they still didn’t wear the uniforms. Because in class they were learning about child labor and they watched a video and they saw it and the children were making clothes and there was a symbol on the clothes and that same symbol was on their uniforms. That’s why they didn’t wear their uniforms. Governments of country’s that have child labor should make a law that if encourage child labor then you will get a fine and if you keep doing it then you will go to jail.

5. yashvi
    April 3, 2013 at 8:21 pm (11 years ago)

Child labour has to stop!Children working as young as 5 years is bad.Canada is a lucky country were child labour is not there and we have laws which are against child labour.If our school makes a change in child labour,maybe others will also help every change starts off small.We should raise money for I.I.E.C.L because they help to end child labour.We should educate our school about child labour because most people don t know about child labour.Once our school tries to end child labour maybe neighbouring schools will also help.Our blog is a great way to educate others on child labour.Many people from across from Canada see our blogs if they also help. I am sure we will make a change.

6. Souvik
    April 3, 2013 at 9:24 pm (11 years ago)

This madness should stop! We should not let companies use children as their factory workers. The whole world should enforce laws that any companies using children as workers should be shut down. Or the companies using children should ask if the children are Ok with it, they should also raise there pay and improve the working conditions. Finally, the producers should raise the money of the items and tell the consumers that its not made by children given low pay or in harsh conditions. It’s a win-win situation, it’s fair for the producers since they are getting more money, it’s fair for the consumers because they are sure that the things that they are buying are not made by child labor. That’s what people out there should do to help out poor children.

7. jenniferfan
    April 3, 2013 at 9:52 pm (11 years ago)

What I think about child labour is a very bad thing in the world. The children don’t have a chance to go to school because they have to work. Some children have to work in very dangerous jobs. What I think of child labour is that it should be stopped, and children should go to school like us.

8. Anika Azore
    April 3, 2013 at 10:29 pm (11 years ago)

My opinion is that canadians and people all across the world should think more about child labor. Kids at such young ages should be going to school and should not be forced to work ten hours a day and get close to nothing.I would like to know why these crule people are making these poor children work so hard. Some ways we an hep this ause is by raising awarness in different ways such as going to the website and raising money. Or righting letters to these people to show you do not aprove this. I bileve that we can make a difference in the world.

9. chrismyrox
    April 4, 2013 at 7:55 am (11 years ago)

My opinion on this topic is that farmers that need extra help in the field have to hire there own children and pay them minimum wage. Because the farmers need the money they earned from selling the food to the grocery stores for their own life like paying bills, buying clothes and food. But it is also not good to pay minimum wage to their children that help make your farm successful. I think you should give half to the farmer and half to the children of the whole payment. So that’s what I think about the labor happening in farms.

10. kindreebrady
    April 4, 2013 at 7:17 pm (11 years ago)

Million of children do dangerous and hard jobs to earn money for their families. The money they earn goes to food, clothes and shelter. I don’t think this is fair. These children are missing out on the fun of childhood. They have no choice because they are poor. Something should be done to help them. Companies that have millions of dollars should donate at least a million dollars to help them. There should be commercials to raise awareness of this issue. Canadians kids could be in the commercials asking companies to help kids around the world.

11. trad
    April 5, 2013 at 8:43 am (11 years ago)

man oh man that is very crusial to those kids and I feel from just watching that video really bad for those kids because they shouldn’t have to do that.they should have the RIGHT to not work like but they don’t and you would think bye the year 2013 this shoudnt happen anymore. and its UNFAIR and good thing I live in a good country.

12. sonia18
    April 5, 2013 at 9:32 am (11 years ago)

the kids work all week and they dont get to be normal kids. The only day they do is on sunday. They are only like teen they dont need to be doing all this. They work 10 hours a day. They are only 15,13,10, and 12 years old. They do this type of work because they need food,clothes,school suplies i feel bad for them. In the summer the work alot.In the summer they get 10,000 dollars in the summer. it is very important to there family that they do this. It is sad that they need to do thia type of work. To me this is child labour and if they need money maybe they can go look for jobs at a store and I hope that they find some jobs.

13. bavita
    April 5, 2013 at 9:40 am (11 years ago)

Your donation will help end forced labor, child labor, and other workers’ rights abuses around the world.
    Tobacco is an industry that is riddled with child labor. The childern does want to work in tobacco industry.The first thing you can do is BE AWARE about the state of child labour in the world, and be informed about the abuses and injustices that go on. It affects you more than you would think. Then you are in a position to go and inform other people about child labour so they can help child labour. help donate to child labour. what if you were the person in child labour How would you feel.

14. viduni
    April 5, 2013 at 9:45 am (11 years ago)

Kids should not work such a yough age because they need to go to school and be educated. I belive that these children should go to school and study just like us, not working in the fields for ten hours each day expect on Sunday. Once people find out they may start fundraisers and people will donate.Then more kids will get educated on child labourer and hopefully the amount of how much child labourer happens will go way down. All these children who are working in the fields are all about our age, imagine this was you working in ther fields for ten hours six days a week. What would you feel then?

15. bavita
    April 5, 2013 at 9:52 am (11 years ago)

They were forced to work but they don’t want because they don’t have lot’s of money barly any money. so they have to work all day. help child labour

16. myahussain
    April 5, 2013 at 9:54 am (11 years ago)

kids should not be working at low age they have to get there education at low age to become something when they are older . thats why people go to school to get a degre and graduate . to get a job when there older. this family seams less fourtunie so they have to work to get a little money to feed them thats why they work at low age. they seam to be livving in a rural comuity thats why i think they arent in school

17. hafsajamal
    April 5, 2013 at 10:05 am (11 years ago)

these children and working i can’t belive it i think these children should be in school not working in fields and by the way these children do very dangerous jobs that’s why i say CHILD LABOUR SHOULD STOP!

18. farahhabibi
    April 5, 2013 at 10:07 am (11 years ago)

Child labour is not good. We can help the child labour by donating money. Kids work all day and night. They don’t get to go to school and study. Girls can’t even ettend schools,boys could but only religious schools. In Afghanistan, many kids were forced to work,their family don’t want that but they have too. They have no choice because they are poor. How we can help: We can help by telling the news channel that child labour has gone over limits. I think we should do that because basically everyone listens to the news, or the radio. People should not take kids childhood in working in big factories and not playing atleast 2 hours a day and going to school. Right now we are in school but in other places other children are in factories or in forests working. Kids should have the right to go to school and be fully educated and be what their dreams are to be. They should have the right to have their childhood in adventures,playing,learning and other things they should do in their childhood. Child Labour has became a big problem in our everyday lives and especially for the kids who are working. We could stop child labour in no time if everyone participates in this donation!!!!
    ______________
    Farah.H

19. amrita

My opinion on child labor is that its terrible. These children work for a very long time. These children are young, right now they should be at school but they are working in factories. Children are working at the age of 5!! This is wrong. I think child labor is HORRIBLE !!!! I hope that they will be able to go to school like me aint will not be forced to work for 10 hours! – Amrita

20. tasmiah
    April 7, 2013 at 6:50 pm (11 years ago)

Kids should not be working at such a young age they should be in school learning new things each and every day.They need to be educated.They should not be missing out on life.Today there are more than 215 million people working most of them are little kids.The don`t get to go to school and many do not recieve proper nutrition or health care.They don`t get a chance to be a kid in life they have to do hard work and be like adults.That is why we should appreciate what we have and enjoy the enviorment we live in we are very lucky to live in Canada.Child labor is horrible and i hope that one day the amount of people doing child labor drops to a low amount.
    🙁