Math is

What is math?

We have discussed this, that all things we have in our world, have a history.

Answer this question by giving your opinion, make sure you provide reasons (proof) to support your answer.

Was Math invented or was math discovered?

11 Comments on Math is

1. Esther
    May 14, 2009 at 5:01 pm (15 years ago)

What is math? Some people would say it has something to do with numbers, but numbers are just one type of mathematical structure. Saying “math is learning about numbers” (or something similar) is like saying that “zoology is learning about lions and lions only”.
    I’ve been thinking, the more I learn math, the more I wonder about what exactly math is. Well, I do think math has to do with numbers (for example: fractions, decimals) but not all math has numbers like geometry. I actually don’t know what math is.

What happens if there’s no math?
    I know some people that are reading this don’t like math but you have to know math well when you’re older. Almost all jobs have math (or science) like a dollar store cashier to someone working in the bank. No wonder my parents want me to get good marks on math!!!

Now you know what I think math is…… WHAT DO YOU

Esther 🙂 😉 😀 😛 8) 🙂

2. Cameron McCabe
    May 14, 2009 at 5:05 pm (15 years ago)

1+1,2+9, do you know what these are? If you don`t know what these are, these are questions, not just ordinary questions, there math questions. math is used evrywere, measuring distences, calculating, daily calories, conting money and much,much more. I bealive it was discovered bacause distence between my house and the school is always the same. We can invent things that help us measure distences. So I hope that you learned alot about math. Bye!

3. Theron
    May 14, 2009 at 5:19 pm (15 years ago)

In my opioion math was invented Reason being that we use math for the most simplest thing such as buying things with money which involves adding and subtracting .Math set the rules of life, everthing we do invloves math.

4. Darren
    May 14, 2009 at 5:20 pm (15 years ago)

math to me is something that we do in school and i dont think it will help me in profressinol bikeing but who knows it might come in handy when i look at turns and speeds and things like that but otherwise i dont think that it will help me.

5. Tara Tomlinson
    May 14, 2009 at 5:30 pm (15 years ago)

12345678….What is Math? Well to me math is everything, what I maen by that is that you use math in your daily life even when you don’t know.For example: like checking the time so your not late for school.Time is in math see one example. Another example is checking how much you weigh so you can fit into that perfect dress.See mass is also another form of math. So now you Know what is math and that you use it in your every day lifes.

By: Tara

6. Moksha
    May 14, 2009 at 5:38 pm (15 years ago)

Was math invented or discorved? Math was discorved by this mathematics his name is Arya bhata he is the first one to be a mathmatics and astronomy. He was the first one to discover math. SO everyone knows that mathmatics was discovred by a mathmatics named Arya bhata.
    Bye

7. amira
    May 14, 2009 at 6:22 pm (15 years ago)

MATH!!
    Math,who can live without math!!!Math is very important math is your house, believe it or not! Math has helped us in telling time,the age you are,your taxes and many more things.For example;what time is it?you just used a math word,if you answered 1:00 or what ever the time is you just used math.Math is your life.Going to the store for some groceries?OH man here comes the bill!Math just appeared again.Studies show it is impossible to run away from math.

Math was discovered by the Arabs and Hindus.The base ten version.

HERE IS A QUESTION!

CAN YOU SUVIVE WITH OUT THE NUMBER ZERO OR FIVE?

8. Aqsa
    May 14, 2009 at 7:12 pm (15 years ago)

Math. Math. Math. Math. We ALL know how to DO math, but does anyone in the human race ever think about what math IS? Well I for one have thouht about this, and I think math is life. If you don’t get what I mean, I’m trying to say that math is everywhere. Like, a book could have an area of 161cm, or a pie could be eaten and only a quarter of the pie would be left. I could buy groceries and calculate how much money I have to spend, or I could measure a piece of wood and use that to build a structure. See? Math is everywhere! I aslo believe that math was discovered, not invented. Like, when the first people came to earth, they might have used math to calculate the area of a leaf to see if it would fully cover their bodies. One day, someone probably stood up and said something like “This thing were doing, it has become so important.” That is my oppinion. What’s yours?

9. Ayesha
    May 17, 2009 at 7:19 pm (15 years ago)

What is math?
    Math to me is lots of things and in to a lot of things. Probability, algebra, numbers, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Anyways, was math discovered or invented? Well, I think that math was discovered. Why? I think it was discovered because I think that it always existed and people found it. Take a look around nature. Everything follows a certain pattern. Not only that, numbers are involved in everything. Math has been a part of this universe since its beginning. For instance, number of days in a year, number of hours in a day, number of days it takes for a baby to be born, the speed of sound and how the solar system works. These things have always been there. It’s just that the passage of time, human beings were able to understand them better, created different models and techniques to study them and all that became a part of mathematics. For example, sundials; people invented them. Time was always there but they just found a way to tell it. So they basically invented the sundials, not the actual math. That is my opinion on if math was discovered or invented.~♪

10. Maddie
    May 18, 2009 at 10:56 am (15 years ago)

“Thirty days has September, April, June and November…” The discovery of periodic events like the phases of the moon or the days between the seasonal cycles was the result of people from ancient civilizations carving notches into lengths of bone. This way of tracking (now known as tallying) was how counting was invented. It was used as a method of keeping track of things. But later on as the concept of number became better understood, it was discovered that quantity stayed the same no matter what was being counted, and that, “one could count things but one could also count the numbers themselves without any reference to objects or events in the real world.” Now mathematics could be used for problem solving. The ancient people of the megaliths built stepped pyramids, Babylonian civilization invented place value and the Egyptian pharaohs built magnificent pyramids using earlier understandings about number and quantity. Therefore, I have concluded that simple counting was invented, beginning with ancient people carving notches into bones, but applied mathematics (using mathematics to solve problems) was discovered.

11. Zoha Rahman
    May 20, 2009 at 1:47 pm (15 years ago)

Math Math Math.I’m guessing that math was Discovered.Why Am I thinking it was Discovered.Well if it was invented it would be a thing like a toy or so.Secondly Math should be discovered because math has numbers so someone must have discovered them with fingers like putting one finger with another which is 2.Lastly math is discovered because if it was invented it would have been created but i think math is discovered not created. (invented) zoha