Main Idea–Animal Survivors

Hello allYour homework this evening:

1. follow the link below to an article on Animal Survivors.

2.  Read the article Animal Survivors”

http://www.timeforkids.com/TFK/teachers/wr/article/0,27972,1926235,00.html

3. Respond in a paragraph what your thoughts:

a) whats the “main idea” of the article b) do we need to do better job as humans or citizens to preserve the planet or is it the animals’ job and natures to survive? c) lastly, did you learn anything you hadn’t learned before.

We all look forward to your written work.

Further links if interested:

Jane Goodall’s page: http://www.janegoodall.org/

18 Comments on Main Idea–Animal Survivors

1. vanessa
    September 30, 2010 at 4:21 pm (14 years ago)

a) the main idea of the article is that animail are being endangerd bye humans because of polution and people shoting them and them dying like the condors.b)It is not the animals job to survive bye them selves they are only trying to survive because humans keep killing them.And we do need to stop hurting the planet. c)I learned that we skould stop killing animals and poluting the air!

2. Raquel
    September 30, 2010 at 4:32 pm (14 years ago)

The main idea of this heart-broken story is some animals are getting endagered and becoming extincted. In the story, the Condor,Rhino and the Tamarin were the animals in danger in this article. They were about to be extincted when some sciencists and conservationists decided to find some of those endangered animals and keep them in safer captivity;but even in captivity, there could be some danger.
    Us humans should help the animals. We should preserve the planet because if we don’t help, some day, there might not be any more animals left in our world 🙁 We don’t want that to happen do we????? well I don’t want that horrible thing to happen.
    So,YES it’s our job to preserve the planet not the animal’s job. Let’s stop hunting, we have to let the animals free to live and run; Let’s not litter; Let’s recycle;let’s and let’s…there’s so much WE can do. keeping the animals in captivity it’s an alternative choice but it shouldn’t be a SOLUTION!
    From this article I learned that the black feather from the California Condor is a symbol of hope.
    If each of us do just a bit we can turn the world into a better place!

3. jr mohan
    September 30, 2010 at 5:42 pm (14 years ago)

the main idea of this article is that we have to take care of our animals and that we take care of there habitat. some of the animals already extinct are the dodo birds and the tasmanian wolf. im sure most of you know the dodo birds but the animal known as the tasmanian wolf is almost forgoten. the tasmainian wolf is a extinct animal that was a firce predator but the sad part is they were all hunt down and shot. we can make a differance and save these animals and see them in the future.

4. Sofia
    September 30, 2010 at 6:02 pm (14 years ago)

My Opinion of what i think this article is that the world needs attention just like we do and needs care like we do so take care of the world because the world is where you live so you might as well just take care of it. You shoul d be very respectfull to the world ,you shall treat the world you want to be treated because we dont know the world might have feelings too you know.

Personally i do think we need to do a better job because when i walk down the streets of toronto and Mississauga or anywhere, i see garbage all over the ground when there’s a garbage can right there are a store with a garbage can. I think the animals should take care of themselve’s and we should take care of them to , just like we do in our daily live’s. Well mother nature PERSONALLY i think that she should be helping too to clean the earth up.
    Suprisingly Yes i have do you know what i learned no you don’t , okay what i learned is that America’s most endangered bird is the California Conder. What else i learned is the feather from the California Conder is a symbol for hope

Love ,
    Sofia. Sultani 😉

5. Jacob No
    September 30, 2010 at 6:36 pm (14 years ago)

Humans should change our ways to help animals survive. We can change what we do and take some animals into a safe place to increase their population. We also need to help animals survive in their own habitats before they become extinct. For example, Condors would be extinct if they did not make a law that banned lead bullets. And there is another problem, some rhinos were being shot by hunters so some people shipped them to the zoo in the U.S.A. 4 rhinos got sick and died. People need to know what animals eat before taking them away from their habitat. So with slight changes we could save the animals. The thing that I did not know was that hunters were shooting the animals. I don’t think that’s right to kill animals for fun. What if you were the animal being shot? How would you feel?

Peace 🙂

6. Tushar Nair
    September 30, 2010 at 6:38 pm (14 years ago)

The main idea is help take care of our planet and to try to stop polluting the air and water on the planet. We should stop hunting endangerd animals and try to protect them so there will be a lot of them again. A large number of animals are getting killed because of poaching like the rhinos and other animals and poachers are hunting them for fur and ivory for money. Also they are dying because of habitat loss. A lot of animals are dying by eating garbage and getting poisoned probably because they mistake it for food.

7. Tanya
    September 30, 2010 at 6:40 pm (14 years ago)

1) The main idea of this article is to help the environment like not using plastic bags and using reusable bags. It is going to ruin all the existing animals’ homes and all this plastic/litter the animals will eat then they will die! Then the food chain will get ruined. If that will happen all the animals will go extinct.=( (They will not be on this planet anymore) That’s horrible! Also these animals like the polar bear , California condors , Sumatran rhino , and a monkey called cotton-top tamarins are going are endangered and going to be extinct. That’s why helping the environment is the main idea!

2) Of course we need to do a better job of being humans and/or citizens! We should all be a little bit more careful like RECYCLING properly! Never put food in recycling we put food in the organic box. ( aka the green box) Also you shouldn’t put paper in the garbage that goes in the recycling or the paper box. (recycling – blue box paper box – grey box)
    That is why I say we need to a better job being humans and/or citizens.

3) I learned lots of things from this article. One thing I learned was the monkey called cotton-top tamarins. Another thing I learned was California condors I heard of them before but I never knew they were endangered. So sad for all these animals just because we are here right now most people don’t think about these poor animals we should give this article to everybody but then that also cuts down trees so then email this article to everybody!! That is what I learned from this article!

By: Tanya Anand =) =) =) =) =) =)

8. Alia Hassan
    September 30, 2010 at 7:54 pm (14 years ago)

The main idea of this heartbreaking story is about animals getting endangered by things that any person can help with, the animals need good habitats to live in, good food to eat and clean water to drink, and they have needs of most humans, as they are living creatures too! We can help save this planet and all the animals in it by saying NO to pollution, NO to cutting down trees and NO to any harm to nature. Because I believe that going green is good for the enviroment and for us! Every living thing on this Earth has a certain need and we can change that or we can leave it be and be careless!! WE NEED TO SAVE THE PLANET! Animals shouldn’t die just because the world is careless… thats why I debat to GO GREEN! Don’t wait till it’s to late. Stop hunting, stop pollution, and spread the PEACE! I encourage this. Jane Goodall has hope so why shouldn’t we?! Sincely ,Concerned ALIA 8) 8) 8)

9. Becca
    September 30, 2010 at 8:19 pm (14 years ago)

The main idea of this article is to bring attentien to some of the endengered animals on this planet. It also clearly shows that it is hp to us (humans) to todo watt it takes to prevent these animals from going extinct.this article showed me anew monkey called the Cotton Tail Tamarin which I never heard of before.

10. Matthew
    September 30, 2010 at 8:31 pm (14 years ago)

The main idea of the article is that animals are dying because their habitats are getting destroyed by humans. But some humans are helping save the animals so they don’t get extinct. I think it’s the human’s job to preserve the planet and help the animals so that they don’t get extinct. I learned that some animals like the condor are getting killed by lead bullets. I also learned that some people are working hard to save the planet.

11. Ahkash
    September 30, 2010 at 8:59 pm (14 years ago)

This sad article is about endangered animals that are being saved by groups of people that arehelping them, but this also tells us that we should help to and not litter, so humans should help out by not making landfills bigger and other. I thinck I learned that I should help animals stay on earth and live peacefully instead becoming extinct and going to heaven

12. T.J. Landry
    September 30, 2010 at 9:07 pm (14 years ago)

The main idea of this article is that Animals are losing the enviroment that they need to live in. Most animals don’t have enough food to survive or places to live.

We need to do more like more recycling, less use of paper and stop cutting down the trees and ruining the animals enviroment. Use less electricity and make less polution. This is stuff that I already knew but its good to have a reminder.

13. Ryan
    September 30, 2010 at 9:14 pm (14 years ago)

The main idea of this article is that animals are getting endangered by humans because of the chemicals that we are using. People are noticing the animals that are dying and are helping by not cutting down trees, throwing down plastic bottles in the forest and making a law that hunters are not allowed to use led bullets. People are now making laws so animals can stay alive. Now people are taking endangered animals into the zoo so that they can save more of the endangered species. After caring for the animals they are freed and get to go back to the wild.

14. imran alli
    October 1, 2010 at 11:37 am (14 years ago)

I think the main I idia is you should not kill animals with lead bullits other animals eat the animal and get sick or die so thats whaythey made a law that you can not shout animals with lead bulits ware the condor lives.

15. Adi
    October 1, 2010 at 8:00 pm (14 years ago)

After reading the article, I believe main idea is that with human efforts endangered animals can come back from extinction. As in the article, it said there were only 22 California Condors left by 1982. Between the years 1985-1987 they bought all the Condors into captivity and with human efforts they raised the number to 350.
    It is our job as humans to preserve the planet. In animals world the rule is survival for the fittest. The onus lies on humans to make every possible effort to maintain the balance. We should follow one rule “LIVE AND LET LIVE” that means not to interfere in animal’s way of life. There are a few things that should be stopped to decrease the number of endangered animals. Hunting is one of them. If animals are over hunted then they can be extinct in short time. Pollution is another thing that affects animals. There could be harmful chemicals that animals might think is food and eat it. Last but not the least, we should save animal’s habitat instead of destroying it.
    I learnt two new facts from this article. The first fact is that, even in captivity animals can fall sick or die. The second fact I learnt was that a California Condor`s feather represents hope.

16. Brandon
    October 3, 2010 at 11:25 am (14 years ago)

I think the main idea of this article is that with a little help from us anything can live, not just survive. A good example of this is, the California Condors were being poisoned by lead bullets that hunters shot at other animals and the Condors ate them. Another example is the Sumatran Rhino was almost extinct because of illegal hunting. None of this has to happen and we can change that by starting small and eventually people can do big things then people could affect animals so much that in the future that extinct wouldn’t even be a proper word and that would be amazing.
    I learned that even in special captive habitats animals can still be ill.

17. maya
    October 3, 2010 at 4:48 pm (14 years ago)

The main idea is that the animals are becoming endangered because of humans (mostly men… just thought I add that point in… 🙂 ). We can help bring the animals back. The condor, rhino and cotton-top tamarins were examples in this article of endangered animals . The condor population decrease was caused by hunters who hunted the other animals with lead bullets and then the condors ate them. This means hunters should stop hunting with lead bullets and this also means hunters should stop hunting these animals near the condors habitats. Hunting must stop. The population was brought back by a group of scientists who believed in the birds and that they could bring back the birds population.

To show that you can make a difference, when the cotton-top tamarins became endangered a small group of woman picked up garbage out of the forest and the rest of the village also helped out. They helped by switching to cooking stoves that use less logs. As a result, more trees are now standing in the forest. I believe it’s very important to take care of the earth and everything on it because animals can’t survive themselves and they need help naturally. This is because animals are naturally supposed to depend on other animals to help them survive.

Maya :p J

18. Selena Almeida
    October 4, 2010 at 7:27 pm (14 years ago)

Teachers should test kids because it helps the teacher know if the student understands what they are doing. Tests are agood way to make the students study and get prepared for a certain subject. One bad experience I had when I was testing was when I was really stuck on a question and I could not get help from my teacher my freinds nobody. But I laerned to skip that question and go to the next.