Branded?

branded-eric-walters-book-cover-artDiscuss 2 things…

1. Why Eric Walters might have chosen to give this title for the book?–please give supporting reasons from the text or your own experiences to support your point of view.

2. What would you do and what you think activity.  What would you do if you were Ian….and what would you think if you were Ian? Would they be the same or different?

Extra:  write or email a letter to Eric Walters (only if you have paretns permission ewalters@interlog.com)…asking him about why he chose the title and why he decided to write the book?

Have a good night.

19 Comments on Branded?

1. Tyler
    May 12, 2011 at 4:33 pm (13 years ago)

I think Eric Walters chose the title “Branded” for the book because another word for branded is labelled. The book is all about that one label Ian saw on the uniform.
    The book talks about how Ian saw the same symbol from the shoe child labour sweat shop on the school uniforms and didn’t like what he saw. If I were Ian I would walk right up in front of Mr. Evans and talk about what I saw (just like what Ian did in the book). If Mr. Evans didn’t change his mind, I would contact the School board and demand it to be changed. If I were Ian, I would think ‘This is horrible! They are making us wear something that was made in sweat shops where young children are paid eight cents an hour to make these! I would never wear this junk!’ That is what I would think and do if I were Ian.

2. raquelmedeiros
    May 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm (13 years ago)

I think the word Branded is a good word to use for the title of this book. For your information, branded means, “marked or labeled by a distinctive word or symbol indicating exclusive rights”. In this book, the word or symbol indicating the exclusive rights is the symbol on the uniforms that they bought for the school. The uniforms are “branded”. That’s why I think Eric Walters put Branded as the title for this Amazing book. It is the perfect title for this book.

If I was Ian, I would probably help my friend Julia stop the uniforms. I (Ian) would help her but I wouldn’t really care about the uniforms and if I had to wear one or not. In the book, Ian didn’t really care if they got the uniforms or not. He was on both sides of the conflict. If I was Ian, I would think, “Why does Julia care so much about these dumb uniforms?” or “I’ll help out but I don’t care so much”. Ian is a good kid and will help out but (I Infer) he won’t really care if he did it or not. He wouldn’t go crazy (like Julia) about the uniforms.

Now I’m going to e-mail Mr. Walters and ask him why he chose the title for this book and why he decided to write it.

-Raquel 😛 🙂 😀 :8 😉

3. sofia101
    May 12, 2011 at 4:59 pm (13 years ago)

ALOHA!!!!!!

1. I think Eric Walters Might Have Chosen “Branded” For The title because I search up what Branded means and it means like rights and everything.
    So I think he chose that title because of how Oxwel And Ian Found out the company for the school uniforms were from sweat shops, it started to kind of make it soung as if he’s trying to defend the people that work in the sweat shop so lik human rights.
    So as if I ozwel have the right to defend this because of yatyyatyyata!.
    People have the right to do what they want to and how they were deffending the people from the sweat shop.

2. If I were Ian I would still defend the people at the sweat shop and I would get in touch with other people and tell them what is going on. Then I would make it stop.
    I would think that Mr. Roberts was just being real stupid because he was the one saying its not good to make sweat shops ad stuff. Really I would stand up to him and take whatever! it takes to stop it because it really isn’t fair!.
    I Dont know because Ian in the book didn’t say that what he was going to do he just sounf=ded suspicous and that he was going to do something but now do something so really I dont Know!.

So yeah pretty much it bye Peace Out!!!

=D

Love,
    Sofia.
    Sultani.!!!
    =D

4. jr mohan
    May 12, 2011 at 6:14 pm (13 years ago)

1. well maybe he was thinking of how these characters that forced to where these monkey suits well these uniforms but most of them do not like them.2 well i would actually tell because its ether ian or the whole school and all those kids at labor camps. and also if you dont go to university that does not mean you are not smart!

5. tanyaanand
    May 12, 2011 at 6:14 pm (13 years ago)

Having to read the book Branded has been an adventure. Having to figure out why the book is actually called Branded is probably because of the coat’s company that Ian and Oswald found. I like to actually find the author of this book and see what his reason behind having to call this book “Branded!” I also find that this is very true in many parts of the country. What I mean by that is having little kids and also adults working for only a few pennies. Having a sad life like that must be difficult. But back to the real question, the book’s name is branded because of the brand name on the school uniforms. That is why I really like this book and I recommend it!

If I was Ian I would show the whole school what the school’s uniforms are really made from and where there made. I would first show Julia and then the school. I would do that because I would want to know what she said and what see would think. I would find this very interesting. As Ian I would think that my principal doesn’t really care about this. The principal is saying it’s fine when that’s the person who showed my class the video about the shops. (sorry I forget the name of them) I would want to stand up for what I believed in. While we get into this book I find that Ian is now turning more into Julia! Can’t wait till the end of the book! I am going to email this to Erin Walters as well!

By: Tanya Anand 🙂 😉 😀 😛 8)

6. becca vanessa maya
    May 12, 2011 at 6:38 pm (13 years ago)

1. he chose the tittle Branded because the story is about a brand (Nike) that uses child sweat shops. in the story the brand is on a pair of shoes and then later on in the story it is on the school uniforms. since this brand uses child sweat shops Ian tries to stop uniforms.

2. if we were Ian we would keep protesting by writing a petionon and making annoucments about the uniforms and the company.

by: Becca Maya and Vanessa >+o

7. ahkash2000
    May 12, 2011 at 6:48 pm (13 years ago)

myabe he put that title because in the story, most of the story is talking about how Ian is trying to make a change, there was a change that he was trying to change, like about that company that owned sweat shops, and that was the brand for the school uniform, there is a 50% chance that is what it was, but their could another meaning I mean it really depends on the person

if I were Ian I would not make a big problem, I mean it is sad but it is against the school board to not wear the uniform, and I would just like to stick on the straight path, and not get myself in lot’s of problems,
    maybe i could change something small and then turn it big, then turning something big into humongus,and the princepal cannot do anything about,so I wouldn’t go saying stuff to him, and maybe just bye from a better company next time

8. glignor aka anuj
    May 12, 2011 at 7:58 pm (13 years ago)

I think Eric Walter’s chose the title “Branded” because it was all about how there was a brand which was involved in child labour and child sweat shops.I think the company was (Nike). I wish i would of known earlier before I bot my Nike shoes.

2.If I were Ian I wouldn’t do anything because I look good in a tie and pants.To help child labour i woulld protest a little.Maybe make a few poster’s or make a petition.If all doesn’t work I just let it fly.

9. selenaa
    May 12, 2011 at 8:14 pm (13 years ago)

I think Eric Walters chose the title Branded because the story was all about school and the word branded means marked or labled.Another reason why I think Eric Walters chose the title branded because it could have bean the brand of the uniforms mr.robertsen was trying to make everybody were.It also can be that Ian dose not like the brand of the uniforms that’s why he is trying to stop the fact of having to were uniforms everyday.

10. calvin
    May 12, 2011 at 8:37 pm (13 years ago)

Eric Walter named the book Branded because it was all about label and brand name and using cheap labour to make the goods. Ian didn’t like what he saw. I wouldn’t like it either. It would really turn me off seeing how it was made by using young kids in a sweat shop to make them. Mr. Evan the principle should see how the uniform was made before making the students and teachers to wear them. Just because the brand name is popular or famous it does not mean that they are good. Lots of countries use child labour because it cheap to pay them and they turn it around and sell it at a higher price. This just makes me sick how people can take advantage of making money and using a sweat shop and getting away with it.

11. zain khan
    May 12, 2011 at 9:27 pm (13 years ago)

I think that Eric Walters chose the title ” Branded ” because it means labeled or marked. In the story the jacket had the label of the brand on it.If I was Ian I would go and protest that I don’t want school uniforms. If the princepal could not do anything about it,I could not do anything I think there is not that much I can do then.

12. jacobno
    May 12, 2011 at 9:37 pm (13 years ago)

I think Eric Walters called the book “Branded” because he is trying to say do they have a choice to pick the company or brand you want. I also think the book is called “Branded” because the school used a brand of uniform. The story is about if they want to use that Brand of uniforms or not.

If I was Ian I would try to stop the school from wearing the uniforms by making a blog, talking to other kids or if not one of those works talking with the news. I would also try and find a nicer company who won’t use kids to make clothes or pay them 1 cent a hour.

I mowed my neighbour’s HUGE yard (it took 30min) and I got paid $20.

PEACE
    🙂 😛 🙂 😛 🙂 😛

13. adi2000
    May 12, 2011 at 10:07 pm (13 years ago)

In my opinion, Eric Walters chose “Branded” because the main theme of the book was about child labour in brands. In school, Ian’s class learnt about child labour and sweat shops. Mr. Robert, their class teacher showed them some of the companies who ran sweat shops in other countries. Later, Ian discovered that the brand of the uniforms at his School was made by a child labour company.

If I were Ian, I would go to Mr. Roberts and Julia, the student body president and inform them that the company that supplied uniforms had sweat shops outside the country. Mr. Roberts already knew about their branded uniforms from sweat shops but still decided to go along with it. I would probably be thinking that why is Mr. Roberts teaching us about child labour, when he`s making a deal with a child labouring company. I would get in contact with important people such as the mayor or the bosses of “Free the Children” and try to team up so that the school will be pressured to cancel the uniforms. If that didn`t work, I would gather all the people who agreed with my statement and go towards a peaceful protest at the School Board. These are the things that I would do if I were in Ian’s shoes.

Now I will email Eric Walters the author of Branded asking “why he chose the title and why he decided to write the book?”

14. saadqadri
    May 15, 2011 at 7:34 pm (13 years ago)

Eric Walters named the book Branded because it was about a brand that children made and got paid not a lot they got like $3 a week or something like that.I would probably go to the sweat shop and the guy that tells the kids to work when he is on a lunch break i’ll get the kids out of there and give some money to them like $20 each and if Mr.Even a.k.a. the principal tells me that if i would do it he would suspend me but i would still do it for the students.

15. imranalli
    May 16, 2011 at 5:06 pm (13 years ago)

(1) I think that the author Eric Walters chose this title because Branded might be another word for labeled. The author also talked about the uniforms and the brand that they were. Since it is the same brand that is on the YouTube clip and on them, I think that is why the title is Branded.

(2) If I was in the book Branded, I would tell Julia about the brand and and the company that made it. I don’t agree with Mr. Evans because he shows the school a video on the shoes and then does the total opposite he orders uniforms with the brand on it.

16. melisa brada
    May 16, 2011 at 7:57 pm (13 years ago)

I think it is called Branded because the ( Nick) thing in the book and Branded means like about school,marked, labled and brand name and using cheap labour to make the goods Iam did not like what he saw.I think that Mr. Evan said that because maybe the same thing his principle too when he was a kid too so thats way bye bye.

By: Melisa Brada!!! :):):):D

17. parisshah
    May 16, 2011 at 9:04 pm (13 years ago)

i think that Eric Walters made the name brandad to make the story go along and i thought

that was a good name because i had to do with the names

and i told my dad the story that we read and i asked him do you think that

he made a good title and my dad responded i am not sure but i think its a great

title

in many ways and i thought i think i do like it but the

main idea is that i think that it is a

interesting title that i have never actually heard in my life

so i think that it is pretty cool

that’s all i have got to say

Paris!

18. Ryan
    May 16, 2011 at 10:49 pm (13 years ago)

I am inferring that Eric Walters named the book Branded because the students were getting branded with uniforms ,they weren’t getting their fair speech about if they even want to wear theses uniforms. And Eric Walters was trying to say you can’t brand children, and children need to show people this is them and i express myself with the way I look.

If I was Ian I would have made a petition saying that we don’t want uniforms and we actually have a voice, and I would go to the board oficce. If I was thinking like Ian I would have done things diffrently instead of getting expelled. So I would have done something without getting in trouble and making a big deal.

19. Raquel
    May 17, 2011 at 7:47 am (13 years ago)

Hi everyone!
    As you know, I E-mailed Eric Walters and this is what he said back to me:

Brands –especially those made by sweat shops and child labour is what the book is about so it was a good title. I think young people need to know about social justice issues like child labour.

ERic

I was suprised when he e-mail me back. I “infered” that he was a very busy guy! I understode his meaning and I iffered the same thing as he wrote.

-Raquel :):D:P;)8)