Was Math Invented or Discovered?

What is math?

We have discussed this, that all things we have in our world, have a history.

Answer this question by giving your opinion, make sure you provide reasons (proof) to support your answer.

Was Math invented or was math discovered?

23 Comments on Was Math Invented or Discovered?

1. rasheda
    February 6, 2012 at 7:01 pm (12 years ago)

I say that math was invented because people didn’t find math they invented 1+1 and 2+2. They didn’t just look for math and found a math question hidden in the dirt. They made up math by taking sticks and putting them together and saying that “this is how much sticks we will use to make our house”. They invented it by themselves and taught their children math and their children taught their children and so it went on for decades until this very day. Then we made schools and the parents still teach a little bit of math to their children but not as much as the teachers do, that is why I think that math was invented.

2. Hala
    February 6, 2012 at 7:46 pm (12 years ago)

i think math was discovered not invented.
    i think it was discovered because u cant really make math. math was always there its not an object tht someone created or something tht took time making it was always there but people just needing time 2 discover it and learn how 2 use it.
    thts why i think math discovered. 😀 😀 😀

3. sakshi
    February 6, 2012 at 8:14 pm (12 years ago)

I would say math was invented because every language has it’s own numbers.
    Some people made the numbers in there own laguages.

Some people made the numbers they did not find them. They did not find (discover) math like they find gold.

Before it all started with sticks then it came to signs and then Roman numarals now finally it came to numbers(0123…).

That is why I say math was invented

4. nabeel
    February 6, 2012 at 8:15 pm (12 years ago)

I think that math was invented because we made 1+1 and 2+2 we didn’t discover it. Also that we made different counting ways like counting on your fingers and counting with other things etc. And that we invented the plus sign,the minus sign,the multiplication sign and the division sign. So that’s why I think math was invented not discovered.

5. kindreeluke
    February 7, 2012 at 3:54 pm (12 years ago)

I think that mathematics was invented 1+1 10×10 wasn’t just found on a wall or blew out of a volcano. It took time for it to be discovered, it can’t just come out of nowhere.

6. Zoe
    February 7, 2012 at 4:11 pm (12 years ago)

I think math was discover because we

did not just use inventions to discover it we also used mathamatic tools such as our fingers or sticks to count with + we made 1+1 and 2+2 useing sticks and our fingers and other tools.

7. ananya19
    February 7, 2012 at 4:46 pm (12 years ago)

I think Math was discovered…

The word math mabye was invented but the tallys and other things weren’t.

A long time ago people used math even though they didn’t know they were using it.

For example, if they went fishing they would count how many fish they caught. It’s not like they invent 1 fish, 2 fish, 3 fish etc…

They always had tally marks just like how it showed in the slideshow with the sticks. It’s not like they carved the sticks so they look like tallys.

Numbers were always there but people just call it different but they are still considered numbers.

No one really made Math up it always existed. Everyone mostly knew math like when they go shopping or count things. You can’t make math since it’s not a thing.

Before people learned using stones and sticks.

People just didn’t know how it works but it was always there.

Math is used everywhere and that’s why I think it was discovered.

8. ANAMI
    February 7, 2012 at 5:15 pm (12 years ago)

I think that math was discovered not invented I know this because you can’t invent math it was always there and to me invented means made and I do not think that someone invented math this why i think that math was discovered not invented

9. kirthan
    February 7, 2012 at 5:31 pm (12 years ago)

I think math was invented because we made 1+1 not find 1+1.Also we made numbers we did not find them anywhere.Also we made up that 1 goes first and 2 goes second.Also we are that made how 1 looks or any other number.We also made up the plus and minus and other signs for.Also made that if there is a chocolate it is 1 chocolate.In different languages there are different names for numbers that we invented.Also there are different ways to draw number like in roman or even in tally’s.Also one person finds it and teaches to there child and this goes on for ever.You might think it is discovered because your parents or teachers teach it to you.Which is you discovering math but your teachers learned it and there teachers learned it and it goes on and eventually someone invents it.

This is why I think math was invented.

10. mackenzie
    February 7, 2012 at 5:32 pm (12 years ago)

I think math was invented, there are many different religions and we all do math differently and i think that in each contery people will just keep on add different things/rules to math. How can you discovery math because stuff cant just appear right in front of you someone somewhere had to have invented it. For example a chair someone somewhere just invented who knows how long ago but some one invented it, stuff cant just appear one day, someone had to have made it, its not like it just magicaly appeared some one had to have made it.

11. nethra
    February 7, 2012 at 5:38 pm (12 years ago)

I think math was invented and not discovered.
    Math was invented by the earlier civilizations .They created their own ways of counting.
    They used figures ,symbols, dot’s and lines. I think today’s math is a different and improved version of what the earlier civilizations did.

12. Aya
    February 7, 2012 at 5:39 pm (12 years ago)

I would say that math was invented. I say it was invented because there wasn’t a man who told people 1+1=2 or 5-2=3. Why I think math was invented because if there was no math we wouldn’t live easily everything would be hard,and we would have a hard time thinking about solutions for problems. Also because each language has same numbers,but when they say the numbers they say it in a different way.

That’s why I think math was invented.

13. Ariq Ahsan
    February 7, 2012 at 6:06 pm (12 years ago)

Discover means to be the first person to find some thing that no body has seen has ever seen before.

Invent means to create some thing new that nobody has ever made before.

I think math was discovered. I think this because for example a triangle has three corners and it was always like that, it’s not like someone made triangles have three corners so it must have been found by some one a very very long time ago and the same thing goes for the rest of the types of math. It was a hard decision but for these reasons math was DISCOVERED.

14. Ariq Ahsan
    February 7, 2012 at 6:14 pm (12 years ago)

I think math was discovered. I think this because for example a triangle has three corners and it was always like that, it’s not like someone made triangles have three corners so it must have been found by some one a very very long time ago and also the same thing for 6×9=59 because 6×9 always added to 59, some one didn’t make it add to 2 and the same thing goes for the rest of the types of math. It was a hard decision but for these reasons math was DISCOVERED.

15. Luka
    February 7, 2012 at 6:47 pm (12 years ago)

I think that math was invented. The reason I think this is because people dident discover 1+1=2. They invented the signs and grouped things together and invented the word math. people also dident discover divition example:how many 5s go into 50

and thats why I think it was invented

16. Aira
    February 7, 2012 at 8:06 pm (12 years ago)

I say math was discovered not invented!
    The reasons why I say math was discovered are:
    1. You can’t make math
    2. Math was always there but no one knew
    3. Math is not an object or something that can’t be created
    4. People used math all the time like using tally marks is math
    5. Numbers were all ways used (that is math)
    6. They used stick for counting (that is math)
    These are the reason I say math was discovered!

17. riyam
    February 7, 2012 at 9:36 pm (12 years ago)

I think math was discoverd.
    .because long time ago people used math by counting and used numbers

.children can count befor they know any thing about math.

.we can’t make math.

that why I think math discoved not invented

18. anami
    February 8, 2012 at 9:42 am (12 years ago)

What I think is that math is discovered not inveted.
    Why I think that is because you can’t really make math it was always there.
    it could be invented but all the sticks and things they use for counting they can not invent I know this because those things are from nature.
    for example the numbers can’t be invented because there not a thing.

this is why I think that math was discoverd

19. Zoe
    February 8, 2012 at 10:20 am (12 years ago)

I think math was invented because….well think about it like this a women or a man didn’t just say oh lets do math, she/he made a = sign and a + sign a x table sign and – sign and the # sign and the division sign. He or She made up 1+1 and 2+2 using utensils such as sticks or your fingers or other items. If we discovered math, we would just find it. We invented it . There is different types of math not just + and -! there is also time and counting and shapes. Not everything hast to be discovered.!

20. Luka
    February 8, 2012 at 6:20 pm (12 years ago)

I think that math was invented because people 1000’s of years ago dident find math symbals on the ground, they grouped things together and made symbals to show the numbers. people also dident discover addition,subtraction,multiplication and divition, they invented it

that is why I think that math was invented.

21. rhianne
    February 8, 2012 at 7:28 pm (12 years ago)

I think math was invented because I think that a long time ago it was people that decided what math was going to be. For example, a farmer had to find a way for keeping track of how many sheep he had or a caveman had to draw pictures of how many animals he saw. They probably didn’t know that they were inventing the beginning of math or even to call it math. But when time went on, people dicided to make more and more rules for math and put words to what they were thinking or drawing like counting, numbers, multiplying and subtraction. Math was used thousands of years ago even before money. Before there was money people counted there sheep and apples and traded with each other. So math got invented more and more over time. That is why I think math was invented not discovered.

22. Cam
    February 8, 2012 at 9:47 pm (12 years ago)

I believe that math was discovered, yet I think parts of it were invented. The whole concept of math I believe was discovered such as how shapes were naturally made in nature. Although I believe that how we add, subtract, multiply, divide etc. was an invented technique and not discovered. Therefore I believe that the overall concept of math was discovered, however I believe that how we use math as a technique was invented such as the math formulas we use today.

23. Scott
    February 18, 2012 at 11:42 am (12 years ago)

Most of you are that said 1+1 was created are correct but are missing the point of the question. No matter what we labeled 1+1, we could of called it “flower+flower” it would not have changed the meaning behind it. You guys are arguing about the language of math and that is not the question. Personally i believe it was created, but by ancient people, probably drawing in the sand. their language created words to associate to distance, angles, volume and the like. If it was discovered, then it exists somewhere outside of the human mind, I’ve never touch math, math has never passed me on the freeway…math is as created as time.