Music Monday

Music Monday was a program that was intended to create awareness of the need to include music in Canadian schools.

On this day, we would all like to hear why you like music and when and where do you listen to it most at home or at school.  Are you a lover of all types of music, cultural music, music without words and do you engage with music by creating your own?
See…if any of these were important to you, then there is value of music in school.  D0 you enjoy music in school?  Are there things you wish you could do in music class but are not able to?  Is music present in other areas of your school day and not just in “music class”. Please tell us, we would love to hear about  your musical experiences.

Why is Music in Schools Important?

Very Interesting Video

20 Comments on Music Monday

1. Luke
    May 7, 2012 at 4:25 pm (12 years ago)

Music can make us all feel different emotions. For me, I don’t like all music, but I really appreciate and enjoying the beats and rhythms in rap, hip hop and genres that are similar. Music in school is important too. Some of the music that we enjoy is really fun… we like to listening to it! I Hear music everywhere I go! Music Monday is a time to appreciate it in schools and to understand how much we truly appreciate it.

2. Zoe
    May 7, 2012 at 5:25 pm (12 years ago)

i think its good that we have music monday because some kids dont get to experience music in their lives, for example.(i dont take music lessons of any type of instrument or singing lessons but i still think we should have music playing in the school when we co,me in, also if we did not know the song that they played and you liked it, well my school goes onto the anocments and tells what the song was called and who was the person who created that song for example( Bruno Mars) we should have music monday in every school in peel.

3. riyam
    May 7, 2012 at 5:27 pm (12 years ago)

Music Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love to hear music.
    I hear music at schoo more than at home I love all types of music
    like (drume,piano,rock………..)
    music is evrey where.
    music works in all your moods its nice to have music monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. anami
    May 7, 2012 at 6:43 pm (12 years ago)

Music Monday! I hear music at my school on Mondays and I also think that music Monday is important why I think this is because some people don’t get to listen to music at home so if they come to school then they can listen to music!I also listen to music most of the time like at some stores,at my house,outside of my house and of course on Mondays at school!

5. Hala
    May 7, 2012 at 6:56 pm (12 years ago)

Music Monday is very important. its important because music is important some songs send out good messages in a fun way. you could send us a good message by talking but that’s just boring. Music Monday is also important because it allows us to sing and enjoy music together. I also love listening to music when i get back from school and its awesome that i also get to listen to music in school with my friends to. that’s why Music Monday is important to me.

6. Ananya
    May 7, 2012 at 7:39 pm (12 years ago)

Music Monday is really important!!!! I enjoy listening to music at home and at school. Sometimes when you’re bored it’s a great way to entertain yourself and if you like you could even dance. It’s great that we have music Monday at school. It’s fun because everyone can sit together and sing. Other than music class I hear music in the mall, car, radio, gym and my ipod touch. It’s also important because after school some kids might not get a chance to listen to music. That is why Music Monday is important and we are really lucky because we have music Monday every week…

7. aira
    May 7, 2012 at 9:08 pm (12 years ago)

Music Monday is very important. It’s important because some songs send out good messages in a fun way. You could send us a good message by talking but that’s just boring. Music Monday is also important because it allows us to sing and enjoy music together. Music Monday is really important because sometimes when you’re bored it’s a great way to entertain yourself and if you like you could even dance. It’s great that we have music Monday at school. It’s fun because everyone can sit together and sing. Other than music class we hear music in the mall, car, radio, gym and lots of other places. That is why Music Monday is important and we are really lucky because we have music Monday every week. I think this is because some people don’t get to listen to music at home so if they come to school then they can listen to music. Another reason I think it’s good that we have music Monday because some kids don’t get to experience music in their lives. I don’t take music lessons of any type of instrument or singing lessons but i still think we should have music playing in the school when we come in, also if we did not know the song that they played and you liked it, well my school goes onto the announcements and tells what the song was called and who was the person who created that song for example (Bruno Mars). We should have music Monday in every school in peel.

8. keonsimmons
    May 7, 2012 at 10:08 pm (12 years ago)

Music Monday is inportant because music could make you feel better when your sad.Different music might make you feel different mostly music always has a meaning like a life connection song not all schools have music monday once a year but we have it regulary when we come in at the starting of school. Sometimes when im bored I might turn on the radio. Thats why I think music monday is important

9. Aya
    May 8, 2012 at 4:36 pm (12 years ago)

Music Monday is very important because if you don’t listen to music everyday or you just don’t know how to find music to listen to,then you can listen to music on music Mondays. If you are a music lover and you can’t live without music and you just want to listen to music at school,well you can listen to it on music Monday. That’s why I think music Monday is important.

10. kirthan
    May 8, 2012 at 5:08 pm (12 years ago)

Music Monday is important.I listen to music mostly at home more than school because at home I have ear buds to listen to songs at school I do not.I love to hear music mostly I like rap.I do enjoy music at school because I love to hear new songs and on Mondays there is a new song every week.It is fun to listen to when you are bored and you nothing else to do.Songs also gives out good message to people.There is music everywhere.You can learn from music like you learn your alphabets.You learn your numbers from songs.Also songs are fun to sing for entertainment.You can make music with anything and anywhere!!!!!!

11. mackenzie
    May 8, 2012 at 5:28 pm (12 years ago)

Music is great. I think that music is great and I hear it a lot. For example, I hear it in my car, while watching tv, when I am at drum lessons, or even when my brother or when I am playing drums at school. So anyway my point is that you can hear music anywhere. I love music and always will, and we were born to make music. I love Marianas Trench, a pop-punk band. All music is important to me.

12. Ariq Ahsan
    May 8, 2012 at 5:53 pm (12 years ago)

Question highlights
    1. Where do you listen to music more school or home?
    2. Why do you like music?
    3. What type of music do you like?
    4. Do you enjoy music at school?
    5. Are their things you wish you can do in music but are not able to?

I listen to music more at home then I do at school and I like music because sometimes in music it gives an impression on what is happening (sad, happy, scary etc) or it is just really nice sound to listen to. The types of music I like are rock and pop. I do enjoy music at school because like I said before it is nice to listen to. I wish we could listen to music more than singing it or playing it on an instrument. I am going to explain more of my musical experiences with you.
    I listen to music more at home because at home I have a lot more time to listen to it than at school. I think this because at school I only have 0-1 periods of music where as at home I have all the time from when I get home from school at 3:30 to when I go to bed at 10:00. It might also be because I can listen to whatever type of music I want from home which I can’t do at school.
    I like music because it can be soothing music which will calm you down or rock music which will pump you up. It can also be because it just sounds really nice. Music can also teach you for example you can be trying to play it on an instrument or you can be trying to learn how to sing it.
    I do enjoy music at school because I learn how to play or sing music. But music class at school has taught me a lot more than that, it has also taught me how notes are played, what G-major, F- major or C- major are and much more. But there are some things I wish I can do in music class but are not able to like play just more than a recorder because there are so many more instruments other than a recorder that I might like. Another thing is I wish we can listen to more types of music because I might want to listen to other types of music.
    I have many experiences with my brother who is in grade 11 because I go to a lot of his concerts. In the concerts they play concert and jazz music. They play instruments like the French horn, trombone, tuba, snare drum, piano, trumpet and much more.
    These are my experiences with music and how I feel about music. In my opinion music is a good thing to have incase your board are you want to learn.

13. sakshi
    May 8, 2012 at 7:37 pm (12 years ago)

Music is the best!!!! I love music I like to listen to all types of music.
    I listen to music when I wake up by the alarm, I listen to it in the car on the radio, At school we sing “Oh Canada” I listen to music in music class, even in the gym when we play. After I get home I watch tv and that has music too.
    Ok that’s enough I listen to a lot of music. Well now it is a part of our lives. We listen to music everywhere.
    We have Music Monday every Monday at Kindree. We say that music is very important in schools. What if you would like to be in a band you would have to take lessons when you get older and that is hard. Music can entertain you when you are bored or it can cheer you up when you are sad. Some people dont get to listen to music a lot so when they come to school they can listen. That is why our school says MUSIC IS THE BEST!!!!!!

14. kindreeluka
    May 8, 2012 at 7:47 pm (12 years ago)

Music Monday is important because some kids don’t listen to music and music is important for education. Did you know that if you listen to music a lot it will help you concentrate and can actually make you smarter in ways? Also music is great for education not just so when you get older you will be a professional musician, it’s good to know because it is fun and if when you get older in high school or college and someone sees you and they like how you are playing you can get a scholarship. Music Monday is a great day because you don’t hear music in school every day, and some people don’t even listen to music daily, I’m not saying that is bad but music is good and enjoyable.

That is my opinion on how music Monday is important.

By:L+U+K+A= LUKA

15. Ryan
    May 8, 2012 at 8:18 pm (12 years ago)

Music Monday is important!!!
    music is awesome because there are differnt kinds of music.
    some music sounds good.
    music is for all Countries.
    music monday is a good idea.

16. nabeel
    May 8, 2012 at 9:55 pm (12 years ago)

Music Monday is important because most people in the world don’t get to listen to music and we have it every Monday while other schools only have it in one Monday. I mostly listen to music at school in gym and at music than at home ever. I mostly listen to hip hop music. I don’t enjoy music at school because as a Muslim I don’t like music that much or listen to it that much. On the other hand music teaches like the ABC song. In music class I would love to play some other instruments.Yes, we like to music pretty much in every class we go to at school.

17. raafiah
    May 9, 2012 at 1:21 pm (12 years ago)

music monday is important because music give us feelings about it. but because im a muslim i dont have so much experinces about it 🙁 . in music class i have also feelings there because i listen to the music.i almost hear music everywhere.

18. Rasheda
    May 9, 2012 at 1:56 pm (12 years ago)

Music Monday to me is a day when people come together to celbrate the power of music. I hear music everyday in my house, on the computer, on the radio, in school and in the car.

Their is many types of music their is jazz, classical, rap, rock and many others. Music can make you feel sad or happy I can’t explain what music is. I think that every school should be able to have muisc mondays to start off the day to one of your favourite songs. Music is very important to me and should be important to you to.

19. nethra
    May 9, 2012 at 8:33 pm (12 years ago)

Music Monday is important! It is important that we have music in the school, because some children don’t listen to music as much as the others and they can be exposed to different types of music. It is also important to have music at school because kids should be introduced to it at a very young age so that by the time they grow up they will know it well. I listen to music all the time. In the car, on my I pod touch, my alarm clock, at the gym, and in the classroom. I learn to play the piano and I enjoy the music. Music is a good form of entertainment, it relaxes your mind, it brings happiness and it cheers you up. Music brings in different emotions in different people.

20. Rhianne
    May 9, 2012 at 8:49 pm (12 years ago)

MUSIC Monday!!!!!! Music Monday is very important to me because if we had no music at school and we couldn’t use instruments we would be missing out on learning about music and how to play musical instruments. Music is a way of expressing your feelings. For example, when I play the drums, I can express how I feel and sometimes get my anger out. I hear music everywhere like at home, at school, on the radio, on my computer, on my ipod, in my car and we also play it at plasp. Music is good for listening, dancing, singing and playing. It’s a good way to have fun with your friends. Like when we did Jump Rope for Heart, Mr. Corcoran had the music playing and that got us working out! Music is also very important because some kids in the world don’t have music so easily like we do and they should be able to. I like music because there are all different kinds of it like rap, rock, jazz, tap, and this will go on forever. I enjoy listening to music. Like for example rap and hip hop is my favourite because it gets you up off that chair to start dancing. Rock isn’t really my thing. Sometimes my parents make us listen to classical music and 80’s music. BORING! But that is the great thing about music. Everyone can have their own favourite kind. I enjoy music in school but I wish we didn’t have to do the same thing every music class. I wish that we could different things like one day playing the instruments, then another day watching a movie, then another day doing movement maps, then another day doing dance. My favourite part about music class is doing movement maps.

By: Rhianne Witcomb-Powell