Graphiti challenges us

Graphiti.

A topic that angers some and makes others love it. 

Is Graphiti art or is it vandalism or is it both?

Pick one of these positions and outline your reasons in a paragraph form why you believe in your opinion.  Provide proof. 

Artists such as Kaws and Banksy are challenging our “usual” views of what art means to us.  Yet, others believe that graphiti destroys public urban spaces. 

We are all interested to read your thoughts on this question?

OR        

47 Comments on Graphiti challenges us

1. nick
    February 25, 2009 at 3:05 pm (15 years ago)

I say that Graphiti is art

2. Sameer
    February 25, 2009 at 3:10 pm (15 years ago)

Graphiti is actually both vandalism and art, but mostly art. The reason why is how one the beautiful art around the world showing peoples true colors in the walls of the world. Also how graphiti is also art of how you can see artistically how they have colors figures signs and more to show your attention. But vandalism since you can’t just use someone elses property of your own needs. Suppose if in a grocery shop you can’t just do graphiti on it they might have advertissments or they would not like it in there walls.
    Graphiti to mee is mostly art but a little bit of vandalism. Hope you liked it! 😛

3. Dante Jakupovski
    February 25, 2009 at 3:11 pm (15 years ago)

I think it’s both because some graffiti are really cool pictures when some of them are just usally names. Like the mona lisa is a good painting but if someone did it with graffiti it would be even more famous and people would think it’s art. If someone just did their name like lots of people that do graffiti, lots of people would think it’s vandalism. Even I would.

4. Manish
    February 25, 2009 at 3:37 pm (15 years ago)

I think graphiti is vadalism because graphiti is mostly done in public propertys and peoples property without permission. Also people think it ruins the look of there cities because of people like Kaws and Banksy who cause graphiti.

5. zoha Rahman
    February 25, 2009 at 3:46 pm (15 years ago)

I think Graphiti is art and Vandalism which is both.Cause Graphiti is vandalism but a creative art that make people happy.But to some people it seems to be that it is just trash for them.But to me it is beautiful and bold picture that makes me feel happy and i don’t think that Graphiti art is trash.Graphiti is also art and vandalism because Graphiti is doing vandalism but art that is awesome.(for me)

Zoha Rahman

6. Shady
    February 25, 2009 at 3:51 pm (15 years ago)

I think that graphiti is both art and vandalism because graphiti is really good art and it is so cool,but it is also vandalism because no one is alowed to do graphiti.
    But I really think graphiti should be art and even if it’s drawing on someone’s ohuse or whatever I don’t see a problem,but really people who do it should’nt be doing it on someone’s house I don’t see why thay can’t just draw what they want and put it in an art gallery.

I hope you enjoyed my article,…….GOOD BYE!

7. amira
    February 25, 2009 at 4:03 pm (15 years ago)

SPLISH!SPLAT!oh my god its graphiti from Banksy.graphiti is fantastic its a way were we can express our feelings and show it to the world.graphiti isnt that good some people take advantige of it and do it were ever they want on property that does not belong to them or might insult someone last but not least make rumers.lets look on the good side there are lots of famouse graphiti artist who are good and are very creative i know that there are lots of people out in the world who are great artist .hopfully one day grafiti will be a famouse structure of art

8. Niraj
    February 25, 2009 at 4:29 pm (15 years ago)

I can’t agree with any sides. But what I have to say is nobody would want to have graphiti on there walls. Also some also love it and if they found it on there wall they would take it and make people pay to see it. If I had to choose I would be against graphiti because I wouldn’t want a painting on the side of my house any day. Unless it is about hockey. Lets just say one day you plan to play soccer,and all you see is a big painting about something unappropriate.I would be steaming HOT!I am preety sure no one would want that?I think if someone is caught drawing the should be thrown in jail for 4 years (that should teach them a leason. And if they are caught again 5 years then 6 7 and so on.

9. amber
    February 25, 2009 at 4:35 pm (15 years ago)

What is graffiti? Is it art or is it vandalism?
    Well I think it is both.

Yes graffiti is done on the side of buildings and some other places but it is also a piece of art. It may be disturbing to see for people who think it is vandalism but it is not hurting any one. But for people who work or live or maybe even own that building that has graffiti on it, might be thinking why did they have to do it here or that they payed money to keep this building looking nice and now it has graffiti on it. Yes, once again it is vandalism but only because it is done on the side of buildings.
    Graffiti is art as well. You have to give people credit for doing graffiti. You still have to use paint and creative thoughts about what you are going to do. It is just like doing it on paper but maybe for the graffiti artists they feel more free to do graffiti on the side of buildings.

That is all i have to say, so bye!!!!!!!!

10. Vanessa
    February 25, 2009 at 5:01 pm (15 years ago)

I beileve that Graffiti is both art and vandalism. I think art is a way to express your self in so many ways like music, paintings, and drawings. In this case Graffiti is done by people expressing themselves by colors and words.
    I Also beileve Graffiti is vandalism because they are doing there art on places like walls and in public places that’s not there property. Also
    they are doing it with out peoples permission.
    by Vanessa

11. Tara Tomlinson
    February 25, 2009 at 5:04 pm (15 years ago)

Griphiti,is art and vandalisem. These are the reasons why,griphiti is vandalisem. Only if the person or people
    do their work on there property.If they don’t do their work on their property it is concidered as vandalisem.But graphity is still art because it is using the mind and imagination.

By:Tara

12. Moksha
    February 25, 2009 at 5:16 pm (15 years ago)

I choose a and it is a vandalism picture because the artist did it on someone’s property and it is a law that you can’t do that he/she might have gotten in jail.As people walk by they think of some other kind of opinion and i would think that it is Vandalism.
    That’s why I think that picture is vandalism.

13. Maddie
    February 25, 2009 at 6:57 pm (15 years ago)

I think graphiti can be both vandalism and art. Whether they do it on private property, city streets or train cars to me its still art (because it’s a form of self expression) but it’s also vandalism, because it’s done without permission.

14. Darren
    February 25, 2009 at 6:58 pm (15 years ago)

I think graphity is art unless you do it on personel property. because you could sereiosly upset someone .i bet nearly everyone would be offended if some one did graphity on there house or freind or family’s house.

15. Ayesha
    February 25, 2009 at 7:09 pm (15 years ago)

People have different reactions to Graffiti, some people, especially those putting it up; see Graffiti as an art form. Other people call it vandalism and a few people see it as both. To make an informed decision about what Graffiti is and is not it’s important to look at the origin of the word itself.
    Graffiti is an Italian word that means ‘drawing, scribbles, markings and messages’. Graffiti is the plural form, the word Grafficar being the singular it derives from also carries the meaning ‘to carve’ and ‘to scratch’. A lot of meaning for one word don’t you think? The modern definition of Graffiti is less flattering and is defined as ‘ Any unsolicited marking of private or public property, usually considered vandalism’.
    However you define it Graffiti has been around much longer than its modern definition. Humans have been painting, carving, and drawing on things since they lived in caves. Are cave paintings prehistoric vandalism? Or are they prehistoric art?
    Modern Graffiti isn’t a trick either, there are many different kinds each serving a different function.
    Tags are freehand drawings of a name or nickname, or symbol, sort of like an artistic signature that announces the Graffiti artists’ presence in the area. Tags can be found just about anywhere, from public bathrooms to freight trains. Some tags are warnings, marking the periphery of gang territory, serving as the equivalent of a ‘Keep Out’ sign or a local news update.
    If Graffiti is vandalism then the vandal gets a fine, if its art does the artist have rights to the image? What’s the legality of using a vandal’s Graffiti as a source of income? If I go out and take photos of Graffiti and put it on a T-shirt and sell it, am I making money off vandalism? Or am I stealing from an artist? Vandalism is basically destroying someone else’s property. Someone just spraying a name or word on a traffic sign, or putting moustaches on paintings, things like that, it’s vandalism, but… I guess maybe, if it’s not destroying someone else’s work, then it’s art. Some graffiti is just amazing.

16. ryan
    February 25, 2009 at 7:24 pm (15 years ago)

i think graffiti is both because someone might not want to have graffiti on there house but sometimes people can see it in other places like on walls and they might like it there.

17. Theron
    February 26, 2009 at 7:17 am (15 years ago)

I think it’s vandalism, because it allows kids or people to use obsene languages in public rather than showing off art skills. It is very disturbing to other people obsene languages is seen in the public street or planting can also be inapporiace for younger viewers.

18. Esther ☺ ☻
    February 26, 2009 at 7:28 am (15 years ago)

What is Graphiti? Art or vandalism?
    well, i think it is both. art means expresing yourself in many ways like music, sculptures and other things. Graphiti is a way of expressing colours and words.
    it is also vandalism because graphiti is done on public property.(on the side of buildins).

Esther 🙂 😉 😀 😛 8) 🙂

19. megan
    February 26, 2009 at 7:30 am (15 years ago)

I think that grifitti is both art and vandalism
    because if you do it on personal property then
    that is vandalism but if you do it on public
    property its not so much vandalism because
    every one can enjoy it.

20. tsitsi
    February 26, 2009 at 7:35 am (15 years ago)

graffiti is art and vandilsam
    well graffiti it is both but mostley art because it is done by someone’s emotion and feeling so it is a little bit of art but it is also grffiti beacuse they are doing it on other people’s property so that is my opinoin on this subject.

21. Aqsa
    February 26, 2009 at 5:51 pm (15 years ago)

One day I was reading a newspaper when I came across something that said “Graffiti: Hot or Not?” and underneath that, it said “Tell us your opinion! Send in your thoughts at http://www.graffiti.com. The winner will get a flat screen t.v.!” I thought about this advertisement for a couple of days, and this is what I eventually came up with:

Graffiti: Hot or Not?
    To me, graffiti is “hot” (meaning good) because artists should be allowed to express their art. Art is a bird that lives for freedom, not to be stuck in your head to be kept to yourself. Art lives to be expressed!
    Graffiti artists should paint on places WITH PERMISSION, though. The bird called art isn’t a criminal. Spray painting drawings on buildings without permission is just wrong. I think that there should be a place called “Graffiti Alley” that would let graffiti artists express their art. That would be cool. And people could come to look at it! Wow. Oh, and I am NOT talking about the kind of graffiti expressed with WORDS. I’m talking about the king of graffiti expressed with PICTURES. Words on walls should be illegal. OK, that is my opinion of graffiti. It should be expressed.

22. mrwoods
    February 27, 2009 at 12:19 pm (15 years ago)

Grafiti is awful.

23. henna
    February 27, 2009 at 2:46 pm (15 years ago)

i think it is both because…you would look at they painting saying too yourself “that person doesn’t have a voice to say what they need to say but too say something they do JURAPHITI .
    it is art because they do amazing painting just with a can of paint.
    thats all i need to say
    henna(Mrs Atrill’s class)
    :b :);>

24. Faiyza
    February 27, 2009 at 3:00 pm (15 years ago)

I think graphiti is both vandalism and art depending on what you draw or if you asked permission. If you asked permission and then did ART, then i think it will be great art and thus not vandalism because the person who did the art asked PERMISSION. Vandalism would be when you don’t ask permission or write something bad, like offending someone or a religion. Vandalism, in my opinion, also means when you write your name anywhere in graphiti, and that is called tags. Therefore, in my opinion, graphiti is both vandalism and art.

PS. Sorry to those people who don’t agree with my opinion, or are somehow offended. This is just my opinion.

25. Ethan
    February 27, 2009 at 5:01 pm (15 years ago)

I think that grafiti is art but if you do it on someone elses poporty you mite get erstied. Someone could get really mad at you. But like Kaws he use to be someone who sprypaints sines. Now he is famos because he wants to show his work at a musem. so people can see it. I know that my parents would not let me put grafiiti on a house or a steet or my house.

hope you liked my apinuon on grafiti!

26. Ahlam
    February 27, 2009 at 6:37 pm (15 years ago)

I think graphiti can be both art and vandalism depending on what is painted, where it’s painted and if it is affect someone in a bad way. The reason why I think this is because for example if I go to my friends house without them knowing that I am there and I spray paint the words ” I Hate You” in graphiti because we had gotten into a fight that day, and that would be an example of vandalism. An example of graphiti as art would be, if I had taken a bill board and written the word hope on it, and kept it in an art gallery or somewhere appropriate where it would not affect anything or anybody would be known as graphiti art. That is why I think graphiti can be both art and vandalism.

27. Kayla Ramlogan
    February 27, 2009 at 8:36 pm (15 years ago)

What is graffiti???
    Is it vandalism, or is it just inspirational art???

My opinion is both. What i mean by that is that if you are doing graffiti because you enjoy doing it and you express your feelings with bright colours and different sights its art, but you would still be vandalism someone else’s property.
    Mostly all people if caught have to face the consequences. But even if you are doing beautiful art, why do it on someone else’s property?
    Famous artist like Kaws and Bansky are fantastically gifted with the art that they do. But they choose to do it on someone else’s property, and yet their still famous. They are famous because the way they present their art, with a form of expression.
    If you do vandalism on street cars, city streets (etc.) people won’t care as much, but if there was graffiti displayed on your house that would automatically be 100% vandalism. I know I sure would not want someone else painting a picture on the side of my house!!!
    That is why i think graffiti is both vandalism and a work of art.

Written By: Kayla Ramlogan
    Class: 5A Atrill

28. Divya
    February 28, 2009 at 10:08 am (15 years ago)

I think that graffiti is both art and vandalism. I think it is vandalism because it is illegal, you are breaking the rules by vandalising public property. However I also think it is art because when you think about it you will see that some people have no other way to express them selves than graffiti. So I think that we should let those people do graffiti but also make sure that they have limits as to where they can express them selves.That is what I think about graffiti. I enjoy some graffiti but others I think are vandalism. what about you?

29. Shya
    February 28, 2009 at 3:47 pm (15 years ago)

I think that grafiti is two things.Art and Vandisam. I sometimes think it is art because people draw things that express there own feeling and it looks nice. I also think that grafiti could be vandilsam too because some people draw things on other peoples property which is still illegal.When ever I pass by places that have writing at the side i always think would that be vandilisam or art. Sometimes i don’t know if it is art or vandilisam.But i know that i would not like it if people did vandilisam on my house. But if it looks like some kinda nice art I probaly would like it. So that is my own opinion on grafiti.
    Shya
    (Mr.Delima’s class}

30. Anshul
    March 1, 2009 at 7:48 am (15 years ago)

I think graffiti is both art and vandlism.

It is vandilism because it is illegal.It also vandlism because we are using other peoples property and painting on it without permission.

I think grafitti is art because we are expressing our imagination in the form of drawing on places like tunnels and walls to get public opinion on a topic which could be of social interest to catch other people attention. The topic could be to do with social responsibility, environment and personal point of view which would go well in a democratic setup.

31. Neilan
    March 1, 2009 at 8:32 am (15 years ago)

I think graffiti is both. I think it is art because artists paint on paper and graffiti artists paint on walls but it is the same thing. If graffiti artists did graffiti on a pice of paper it would be the same thing as artists doing it. I also think it is vandillisim because they are doing graffiti on someone elses propertey. The people that do graffiti should have a certin place to do it ( e.g. a wall ) because if they do it on that wall they wont vandilise someone elses property.

32. sonja
    March 1, 2009 at 8:43 am (15 years ago)

I think that graffiti is art and vandalism . I think it is vandalism because you are vandalising public property with out people’s permission. I also think it is art because some people have no other way to express m self than graffiti.

33. Ayesha
    March 1, 2009 at 9:27 am (15 years ago)

Is graffiti art or vandalism?
    I think graffiti is both,art and vandalism.I think its vandalism because your doing it on public property,and I
    think graffiti is art because some people like Banksy and Kaws paint amazing and beautiful pictures,on public property,It also depends on if you asked permission and then drew.If some people do graffiti on public property and write inappropriate words offending someone or their religion that would just be dumb of them,because…number 1:there doing vandalism,and number 2: Why are they doing it for? I also think that if some one does graffiti and expresses their feelings in a good way (no inappropriate words)then I would think its art.This was my opinion about graffiti.Bye!
    (5A Mrs.Atrills class)

34. Rabia
    March 1, 2009 at 10:14 am (15 years ago)

My opinion is that both art and vandalism are graffiti; depending on what the person is drawing or writing. For example, if somebody is drawing a picture of a car just for fun on somebody’s property that is only drawing but on somebody else’s property; so you should still ask permission to do that. If somebody is writing bad things about someone or something on public property that offends them then that is plain vandalism and they can go to jail for that.

35. Asmitha
    March 1, 2009 at 10:49 am (15 years ago)

i think it’s both vandalism and art because if it was vandalism, people would be writing on someone else s property and write bad things without someones permission. For example,once someone did graffiti on the portables and Mr. Fanjoy felt bad at what was written. Another example is that on the hardtop, someone wrote ” I HATE PAKIS” so Muslim people started to feel really bad. If it was art, you would be writing good things or drawing pictures WITH someones permission but if they didn’t ask permission then you should do it on your own property or else in alleyways or not even do it. That is my opinion of graffiti.

36. shenali
    March 1, 2009 at 11:17 am (15 years ago)

I think graffiti is art, but shown in a different way.Graffiti is art because you let your feelings out in a way where everyone can see it.Graffiti is also vandilism.Vandilism is ruining peoples private property by drawing things that people may not like.Personaly graffiti is art but even though it is illegal some people may enjoy walking past a realistic picture that is very eye catching.But I also think people should have some limit against when too much is enough.Vandilism or art both come to the same word,GRAFFITI.What do you think, vandilism or art?
    By:shenali Madhanaroopan

37. Wasiq
    March 1, 2009 at 11:44 am (15 years ago)

☺○o☻○o☺○o☻○o☺○o☻○o☺○o☻○o☺○o☻○o☺○o☻○o☺○o☻○o☺○o☻○o☺○o☻○o☺
    I think graffiti is both art and vandalism because graffiti sometimes ends up to be a art but sometimes vandalism. What I mean is people have to express their art. Whether on paper or buildings but if they express their art on someone else’s property that someone might get really mad. if you think about it not all graffiti is bad but not all is good either!

Name: Wasiq Class: MME.Atrill 5A

38. Jake
    March 1, 2009 at 1:00 pm (15 years ago)

I think grifiti is a way to exprese your self.
    It is also art.

39. justin
    March 1, 2009 at 2:28 pm (15 years ago)

I think graffiti is a tipe of art but vandalism.It’s ok if you do graffiti on your own property but when you do it on some ones property or on bildings,side walks,buses,tranes,bus stops eny were but your your property it is BAD relly BAD NOT GOOD a NO NO.Eny way i think vandalism because if you are doing it all over the plaes you are doing vandalism.Also i think art because if you just make a scribl on a wall it is not art now some people put hard work into it that is art.That is what i think graffiti is.What about you.

40. Cassidy
    March 1, 2009 at 2:39 pm (15 years ago)

Is graphiti art or vandlism?

I think it can both because some times it could be
    wonderful drawings like want

41. Nimra =) (Mrs. Atrill's Class)
    March 1, 2009 at 2:49 pm (15 years ago)

I think graphiti is art AND vandalism. Art is something that expresses emotions and lets out creativity, which is one thing that graphiti does. On the other hand, vandalism is using a public space that is NOT your property and altering it without permission which is mostly the case with graphiti, but this is just MY opinion.

42. Janae Sampson
    March 1, 2009 at 2:55 pm (15 years ago)

I think Graffiti is both Art and Vandalism.I think that because the people that do it use their mind and imaganations. It is also Vandalism because these same people are trespassing on someone else’ property and are defacing someone’s property. These are 2 reasons why I think Graffiti is Art and Vandalism! By:Janae Sampson

43. Cassidy
    March 1, 2009 at 3:26 pm (15 years ago)

IS GRAPHITI ART OR VANDLISM????

I think it can be both.Sometimes
    it can be wonderful artwork like
    Kaw and Banksy othertimes it could
    be mean names write about people
    or bad words on public property
    like streettrains,buses and public
    walls. 🙂

44. Quinn
    March 1, 2009 at 4:18 pm (15 years ago)

I think graffiti is art and vandlism because if graffiti is done on private property such as a house it would be vandlism but if it is done in a public area for every one to admire such as the side of a big building I think it is art.

45. Riley Stewart
    March 1, 2009 at 5:34 pm (15 years ago)

I think grafitti is both because it lets people show there artistic abilities,but it is also vandilism because its not there property. That is why I think graffiti is both vandilism and art.

46. Jaquelin C.
    March 1, 2009 at 7:12 pm (15 years ago)

I believe that graffiti is art, and vandilism. I think this because art is a form of expression, showing how you’re feeling inside. Creating these paintings may let any emmotions out of the artist. The artist may have an idea that he/she believes other people should know about. for example, “Banksy’s” quote that appears at some well known landmarks “this is not a photo opportunity” , I think the message here is that it seems silly to take pictures with a landmark. Some people consider graffiti art only when the artist has permission from the owner of the building allowing them to use their building as a canvas. Graffiti may also be interpreted as vandilism because the art is almost always drawn on public or private property. No authority/public has agreed to have a picture/word drawn on the building making it vandalism. I believe that graffiti is both art and vandalism. Something I was just thinking about is that, if a person consciously paints on the side of a public or private building and this is called vandalism, if a person knew there car was leaking an oil that stains pavement but they continued to drive it around town, would that be considered vandalism?

47. harsha
    March 2, 2009 at 5:58 am (15 years ago)

I think it is both art and vandilism because it is destroying someones property and in a another way, it is someone expressing themselves with art.