To be or not to be?

Speeches….

Your experience of the last three weeks as brought many emotions, hard work and working on your speaking craft.

List the top 5 things that you learned from the “process” of giving a speech. 

As well, give one piece of advice to anyone who will be giving a speech in the future.

20 Comments on To be or not to be?

1. marcel
    March 30, 2009 at 1:43 pm (15 years ago)

the top 5 things i learned are.the first thing i learned is that you have to have an opening statement.the second thing i learned was the tone of your voice can change the speech to make it more intresting.the third thing that i learned is that is you have to do research for the speech. the fourth thing that i learned is that your speech had to be three to 5 minuts long. the fith thing i learned is that a good speach is unique.my advise to anyone who will be giving a speech is to have a good openeing statement so you can catch the readers attention.

2. Manish
    March 30, 2009 at 2:12 pm (15 years ago)

1. It has to be 3-5 minutes long. 2. It has to have some facts and the rest are your thoughts. 3. It has to be something that you think is intresting or something you know alot of. 4. If you pick a large topic pick only 1 small part. 5. The speach has to convince the audience. My advice is to memorize the whole speach before you go to the final 3 and if you do you don’t have to memorize it at the end. Those are the 5 main ideas of the process to give a speach and my advice for a speach to more grade 5’s in the future.

3. moksha
    March 30, 2009 at 2:18 pm (15 years ago)

Hi everybody do you remeber me well here I will tell you who I am? I am Moksha Patel and I will tell you the top 5 things that I learned from the “process” of giving a speech.
    One of the things I learned is that have an arugment in your speech. for example if you are doing about saving the sharks then you must an arugment about saving the sharks.The second thing I learned was that you must have a good opening like close eyes and… or wonder if you are in the… . The third thing I learned was that you must have eyecontact and facecel exprations like if you are going to say a word louder then any other word then it has to be loud or low. for exaple saying THERE ARE ONLY… and that has to be loud !The fourth thing I learned was that when you get up to say your speech then you must have confendent in your shelf don’t nerves it’s only your school or class. The most and final thing I learned was that you have to pratice I mean pratice everyday and move your words around and make it funny and interesting words. And those are the 5 things I learned from the ” process” of giving a speech.

4. Sameer
    March 30, 2009 at 2:52 pm (15 years ago)

The process of my speech “Bullying” was very common but fun. Also having alot of experience with it it was very fun to show some of your experience of bullying in the speech. Also in a sense putting things in a funny way like with our openings of our speeches. Also the information of how there are different types of bullying or why bullies doing it learnign its bad to bully and more. Also trying to edit the paper to make more sense. The three thing that we had to do was raise our voice, use face and body gestures, and the speech its self. So that we know when to speak louder, make actions, and make the speech interesting. Also rememerizing the speech know from which sentences you go to. For my advice for people doing the speeches in Mr. Woods class pretend evryones head is cut off so that you would think they are not hearing or seeing you, also thinking they have no brain so you think your basically talking to yourself. I had fun in the speeches. HOPE YOU DO TOO!

5. Niraj
    March 30, 2009 at 3:07 pm (15 years ago)

Writing speeches is alot of hard work. I learned alot from writing a speech like editing. Boy that takes SO much time. Also I have learn’t if it is something huge you are doing, then you have to research!A whole lot. I also learned if you have to learn a speech then you mostlikly have to memerize it. And also one very important fact is to write it neat so you can read it.And last of all I learned it is important to keep your speech with you at all times just if you think of an idea. One piece of advice about writing a speech is to add humour.That is what I say.

6. Amira
    March 30, 2009 at 3:20 pm (15 years ago)

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!I’m scared!:) 😉
    have you ever got stage fright well i have when i was five.learning and writing speeches might seem hard or easy to you. listen to this poem and this is what the five things i learned is……..

poem: i learn and speak to rise

i learn i rise i rise to speak, i learn,i learn to correct my speech.3 years past here i am correcting my mistakes to learn to say to learn to say. from my mistakes i will learn to rise to rise.i might get hurt but its a way to help.To rise and rise to the top you help i learn to rise.eye contact,posture and speech we all tried hard and will rise. step by step we will rise. i learn from my mistakes but get better to rise and learn.

this is what i learned its a process to improve.it was so much fun.

advice from me to you just imagine your speaking to chairs with no one in it.or try your best and do what you can. in the end you will be the winner if you try.

7. Dante Jakupovski
    March 30, 2009 at 3:37 pm (15 years ago)

The five things I’ve learned about speeches is to work hard preparing the speech, try to memerize the speech, don’t be scared about talking to a crowd, speak loud, and make it interesting.
    My advice Work hard on it.

8. ali
    March 30, 2009 at 4:01 pm (15 years ago)

Throughout this process,what are the top 5 things I learned for giving a speech? Well,the top 5 things I learned were:

-It’s a lot of work making a speech

-Not to be nervous when you are saying you’re speech in front of a group of people

-When you get up on stage,you tend to speed up

-I had a hard time memorizing my speech

-it’s easy to get in the time of 3 minutes to 5 minutes

Also,if you are going to do a speech,make your topic something new and interesting,and have a personal connection to it

9. Zoha Rahman
    March 30, 2009 at 4:18 pm (15 years ago)

The Top 5 Things I Learned Are…………………….

1.You always need expression

2.You need research

3. Try make your speech interesting

4. That you always need to have information

5. Need reasons

Advice: You should have expression so then people will enjoy your speech and also you should have information that people don’t know cause they will be shocked about something that they never ever knew!

By the famous: zoha.R

10. Cameron McCabe
    March 30, 2009 at 4:31 pm (15 years ago)

1. Make your speech good and expresive with an awesome starting sentence.
    2. Good topic.
    3. Do not speek too fast and not too slow.
    4. Make good eye contact with the audience.
    5. Do your speech between 3:00 and 5:00.

11. Megan
    March 30, 2009 at 4:42 pm (15 years ago)

3 things that I have learned in the process of give a speech is a: pick a topic you enjoy b: be prepared and c: speak loud and clear.
    A piece of advice I would give to some one would be even if you fully memorized your speech as soon as you get up in front of everyone you forget every thing so bring up your speech it feels safety.

12. Maddie
    March 30, 2009 at 4:43 pm (15 years ago)

Speeches… aren’t they wonderful? Well that’s what some people say, others say that they’re totally not wonderful. Here’s a list of the top 5 things that I learned from doing speeches:
    1. Think of an original topic. If your topic is boring, people won’t vote for you.
    2. Start practising saying your speech in front of others, well ahead of time. Sometimes other people notice things that you might not be aware of yourself.
    3. Print neatly and highlight the important words. It makes it easier to read.
    4. Time your speech to be well over 3 minutes. When your’re in front of an audience you sometimes get nervous and tend to speak more quickly.
    5. Make make sure you look up at the audience and not your cue cards the whole time.
    To those people who are givig a speech in the future, my advice would be to get lots of sleep the night before you say your speech.

13. Theron
    March 30, 2009 at 4:45 pm (15 years ago)

1.I learn a lot of thing in my speech.

2.

3.

4.

5.

14. Nikita
    March 30, 2009 at 5:35 pm (15 years ago)

Hey remember my speech on video games?

Well today I’ll tell you the top 5 things that I learned from writing my speech.

Top 5 things that I learned from writing a speech:
    1) You have to have a good opening to catch everyone’s attention
    2) It is hard to memorize it
    3) It should be convincing
    4) You need to have good eye contact and expression
    5) You need to be well prepared

Here are some tips:
    -Try writing your speech over and over again it helps you memorize it faster so you don’t have to spend hour’s ad hours to memorize it! It really worked for me!
    -also try not to get nervous,the more nervous you get the more of your speech you’ll forget.

BYE! 8)

15. amber
    March 30, 2009 at 6:06 pm (15 years ago)

Aren’t speeches fantastic?! I mean you learn a lot from them.If you keep on reading my comment you will see what I learned through this speech writing process and also a piece of advice to those who are going to be doing speeches in the future.
    #1.I learned how to write a great piece of writing!Meaning I learned how to make a great opening sentence,how to connect my reasons together and how to end a piece of writing in a great way.

#2.I learned how to get all my ideas into order to make my speech in between 3-5 minutes.

#3.I learned how to get over the fear of talking to an auidence.

#4.I learned how to memorize things faster and easier which is normally REALLY hard for me.

#5. The last thing I learned is it is A LOT of work writing a speech.

Now a piece of advice I would give to those who are going to be doing speeches in the future is don’t forget to look at the auidence. Sure you may be a little afraid doing that but how good your eye contact is, is something that your teacher,classmates and judges look for when you are doing your speech.

That is all I have to say.Bye!Bye!

16. Twin #1
    March 30, 2009 at 6:12 pm (15 years ago)

SPEECHES
    Hey, are YOU giving a speech? YOU want to know what I learned from the process of giving a speech? Well if YOU really want to know, then continue reading. If not, then get off the laptop or computer and go read a book!

Ok, then. The FIVE things I learned from the process of giving a speech are:

1. YOU should always have some expression in YOUR speech. That way, YOU’LL catch peoples attention. Also by raising and lowering YOUR voice. That will make your speech more interesting.

2. LOUD, LOUD, LOUD!!!!!!! Make YOUR voice loud enough so that everyone can hear YOUR wonderful voice. dont macke your voise soft and macke mistackes. MAKE IT LOUD! THAT IS ANOTHER THING THAT WILL CATCH THE PEOPLES ATTENTION.

3. Practice, practice, practice! YOU already know why YOU have to practice, practice, practice.

4. The opening sentence is an important sentence. Always make it very interesting. WARNING: IF YOU MAKE THE TOPIC SENTENCE BORING, YOU HAVE A LESS CHANCE TO GO TO THE FINALS!!!!!!!!!

And, last but not least,

5. Don’t get upset if your speech does not get picked. Hold your head high and know that you at least tried, and that’s the most important thing.

Oh, and some advice to my fellow speech writers: MEMORIZE YOUR SPEECH!!!!!!!

17. Ayesha
    March 30, 2009 at 6:17 pm (15 years ago)

The top 5 things I learned from the process of giving speeches are:
    1. Try to pick a topic you and your audience would be interested in listening to.
    2. You have to speak loud and clear so everyone can hear you and you should be confident when speaking.
    3. Time your speech so that people enjoy your speech rather than getting all bored.
    4. Try to make your speech convincing by putting supporting details and reasons.
    5. Always remember, a competition is not all about winning or losing. It’s the effort and hard work you put in that counts. 😀
    One piece of advice I would to anyone who will be giving a speech is; when you are talking, try to put in as much expression as you can and even if you forget a part of your speech, don’t stop, put in appropriate words by yourself. Be clear in your mind and you’ll know what to say. Last but not least, TRY YOUR VERY BEST!

18. Shady
    March 30, 2009 at 6:45 pm (15 years ago)

Writing a speech needs a lot of work and there’s gotta be thought in it………….Here are five things that I learned.

1.When someone does a speech it has to be well prepared and have a lot of information.

2.It has to be memorized a lot so the person doing the speech isn’t looking at his/her paper all the time.

3.It has to have a good opening and closing to get the audience’s attention.

4.When someone is saying a speech he/she must have a clear, loud voice and it has to have expression.

5.The speech time has to be between three to five minutes long.

My advice to people is when you get up on stage to do your speech you’ll be nervous at first but then after a minute you’ll get use to the idea and it won’t be so bad and It’s very important to practice your speech a lot.

19. ryan
    March 30, 2009 at 6:51 pm (15 years ago)

1.it has to be 3-5 minutes long
    2.choose a topic
    3.you half to speak clearly
    4.try to have expreshion in your voice
    5.have lots of body movement

20. Esther (i ♥ hamsters)
    March 30, 2009 at 7:14 pm (15 years ago)

oh no, not the speeches!i’m up today!!!!!!!
    5 THINGS I LEARNED ^_^ O_O
    •speack loud and clear
    •dont speack too fast
    •memorize most of it
    •make lots of eye contact
    •facial exprecions and actions

☺ advise: ☻
    have facial expressions, smile, and dont be too worried or ul speed it up!

Esther 🙂 😀 😉 😛 8) 🙂