Soda Solution?

Obesity and Weight Gain is a North American Problem.  New York City Mayor, Michael Bloomberg, wants to attack this problem by banning all sugary drinks over 16 ounces or 500 ml (just larger than a pop can) sold in restaurants, movie theaters, sports arenas etc. The ban will not effect pop sold in grocery stores but just at these other locations.  If passed, will this change the problem? Is this a good thing? Should government be involved to attack this problem? Or should government stay out and let people make their own choices?

Read the article http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/05/31/new-york-large-sugar-drink-ban.html for more info, google more videos if you like to further back up your opinion.

This video may help you out too!

19 Comments on Soda Solution?

1. sakshi
    June 5, 2012 at 4:53 pm (12 years ago)

Drinks over 16 ounces 500 ml should not be aloud to be sold in restaurants, movie theaters, sport arenas etc.
    Sugar is not good. Did you know that one pop can has at least 16 teaspoons of sugar? I have one can like in two to three weeks maybe adults can have one can in a week. It is bad if you drink more than 16 ounces a day. But it is good the ban will not effect grocery stores.
    The government should let others make their own choices but it is for your own good. That is why I say it is a good idea.

2. kirthan
    June 5, 2012 at 5:18 pm (12 years ago)

Even though I don’t like soda I still think that people should be able to make there own choices.Also when your at the movie theaters and sports arenas you enjoy what your watching more when you have soda.If your over weight then you should only drink once in a while but lots of people are not over weight so if you take away this from the not over weight People you are really not doing anything.Even if you are only banning it from all the fun stuff we do.This law will only make it worse because people are going to buy it from grocery stores which you can buy a whole pack for a very cheap price compared how much one cost at movie theaters and sports arenas.

These are my reasons why people should be aloud to make there own choices even though this does not matter to me because I don’t like soda.

3. riyam
    June 5, 2012 at 6:06 pm (12 years ago)

I think this will change the problem a lot because it will keep people drink less soda because whene people buy large cup of soda they will drink more.
    goverment should attack this problem and make a change because it will really efect people health.
    by:riyam♥

4. Ananya
    June 6, 2012 at 4:47 pm (12 years ago)

The mayor should ban drinks over 16 ounces or 500 ml. Do you know how much sugar that has??? That’s like more sugar than you eat in a whole day!!!! People should take care of their health and if people don’t stop drinking these they are going to get diabetes and gain lots of weight. At least you can still buy them at the grocery store. You don’t always have to buy a large drink of soda you can even buy a small or medium size drink. A large cup of soda could seriously effect your health. So that is why the decision the mayor made is a good idea.

5. Ananya
    June 6, 2012 at 4:47 pm (12 years ago)

They should not ban drinks over 16 ounces or 500 ml. We should be allowed to make our own choices. People that don’t want to drink it don’t have to… Anyways who would want to buy it at grocery stores??? If you go out to the movie theater wouldn’t you want to drink something??? It’s not like a little child is going to drink the whole 16 ounces or 500 ml drink. Sometimes two people might be sharing one drink instead of buying two small drinks. So that is why the mayor should not ban drinks over 16 ounces or 500 ml.

6. aya
    June 6, 2012 at 4:54 pm (12 years ago)

I LOVE Soda I would say that the government should not attack it because people have there rights to drink Soda and it’s the peoples problem if something happens to them so they need to to know how much to drink. If the government want to attack they could just warn people instead of attacking them. That’s what I think.

7. nabeel
    June 6, 2012 at 6:37 pm (12 years ago)

I would say that the government should stay out and let other people decide. This is a bad thing because then we wouldn’t be able to have a large coke from Mcdonalds or any other restaurant. That’s my opinion.

8. raafiah
    June 6, 2012 at 6:38 pm (12 years ago)

i think that this opinion will change this problem because people are drinking too much soda. and its like this:

TOO MUCH SODA = TOO MUCH SUGAR = TOO FAT

this is my reeason

by: raafiah

9. Zoe
    June 6, 2012 at 8:46 pm (12 years ago)

i think this would be a good change for people

S- sugar
    .
    O-obsession
    .
    D-delicious
    .
    A-awesome

soda might taste awesome but honestly, all were really doing is incressing your blood presure! people who might have diabbeties think it might be okay if they drink diet coke or diet soda, and really it could cause you CANCER! all its doing is making you unhealthy, fater, a higher blood presure, could give you a chance of cancer to. So whats soda really doing, helping you, or having a better chance of killing you.

10. Mackenzie
    June 6, 2012 at 8:53 pm (12 years ago)

there’s nothing I love better than soda well actually there is but still I love soda! I don’t think that they should ban soda just because its a problem for some people doesn’t mean they should ban it if it is a problem for you, you need to control it its not the governments problem its you!!!

11. ANAMI
    June 7, 2012 at 4:29 pm (12 years ago)

Soda tastes good but what some people should know/think sometimes is that it is not that good to drink that much soda it is not good for your health and you could get hipper as well cause of how much sugar there is in that thing (SODA).Thats why I think what the government is saying is right.

but what I also think/know is that the government should not also band soda because everyone might not want to go to the grocery store and get it and they would rather just go to the movie theater, restaurants,sport areas and etc.this is also why I think the government should just stay out of this and not ban the soda.

12. kindreeluka
    June 7, 2012 at 4:37 pm (12 years ago)

My opinion is that the Mayor should not ban sugary drinks over 16 ounces in public places like arenas because it would be much more effective if they just did it in stores because you don’t normally go to an arena daily and get sugary drinks. In arenas these drinks are maybe consumed 1 or 2 times every 2 or 3 months by the average human. In stores you can buy packs of 6 or 10 pop cans and nothing is stopping you from buying more, meanwhile in an arena they cost more money, you can only buy 1 at the stores, and you maybe can’t afford to go whenever you want. The mayor should make it so the sugary drinks are kept at the same price but smaller and they only come alone or in 4 packs. This will be much more effective than making this difference in arenas.

~Luka

13. Luke
    June 7, 2012 at 5:53 pm (12 years ago)

This is a bad thing how that soda is becoming fater and more of an obsession, but I think the government should leave this alone and let people make there own choices. If they want to die let them die (Just kidding), if people want to make a healthy life choices then they should drink soda once in a while. this is what I think! SODA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. nethra
    June 7, 2012 at 9:20 pm (12 years ago)

Sugary drinks over 16 ounces or 500 mg should be banned in places like restaurants, movie theaters, sport arenas etc. The chance of people getting overweight is less because when you are watching a movie or a game you tend to drink too much without knowing. 16 ounces or 500 mg is a lot of sugar. It is more than what your suppose to have a day. You should take more care of your health. If you want a sugary drink you ca buy a small instead of a large. That makes a difference. Even if Sugary drinks do get banned you can still buy the drinks you want from the stores.

15. Ariq
    June 7, 2012 at 9:33 pm (12 years ago)

I think that it is a horrible idea to ban high sugary drinks but I also think that it is good as well. It is bad because it could ruin fast food restaurants. I don’t think they should just force people so that they can not drink these types of drinks any more because a lot of people drink them every day, there fore, it can cause some effects to those peoples life style.
    In the article it says that they will have to face a fine of 200$ which I also think is a horrible idea. It is unbelievable because they have to pay 200$ for some thing that they did not even agree on. Some people have large sized soft drinks every day and now the old small sized soda will be their new large sized soda!
    It might also ruin restaurants like McDonalds, Burger King, A&W, Taco Bell and much more. Some people like to go their and like to have a large drink with their meal and they won’t get it anymore so some people may stop going to those restaurants which will ruin their business.
    I hate this idea because I feel that other people should have a say in making this law as well as the mayor does. In my opinion we should never ever make this law!
    It will also help one of North America’s biggest problem “to many people are over weight” so much soda is not good for you because it is really high in sugar. If they do make this law then people will stop consuming so much sugar but if they are so desperate for soda than they can just buy it from home and then drink as much as they want.
    As you can see this law can be a good thing but at the same time it can also be a bad thing.

16. cam
    June 11, 2012 at 7:17 pm (12 years ago)

First of all pop is awesome!!. My opinion is that the mayor should not band drinks over 16 ounces. He is a control freak by trying to control people and saying you can drink this and you can’t drink this. People can decide to drink pop or not.

17. Aira
    June 16, 2012 at 9:08 pm (12 years ago)

The mayor should ban drinks over 16 ounces or 500 ml. Do you know how much sugar that has? That’s like more sugar than you eat in a whole day! People should take care of their health and if people don’t stop drinking these they are going to get diabetes and gain lots of weight. At least you can still buy them at the grocery store. You don’t always have to buy a large drink of soda you can even buy a small or medium size drink. A large cup of soda could seriously affect your health and the reason I am saying this is because I learned about the consequences it can give in health. So that is why the decision the mayor made is a good idea.

18. Aira
    June 16, 2012 at 9:08 pm (12 years ago)

They should not ban drinks over 16 ounces or 500 ml. We should be allowed to make our own choices. People that don’t want to drink don’t have to… Anyways who would want to buy it at grocery stores??? If you go out to the movie theater wouldn’t you want to drink something??? It’s not like a little child is going to drink the whole 16 ounces or 500 ml drink. Sometimes two people might be sharing one drink instead of buying two small drinks. So that is why the mayor should not ban drinks over 16 ounces or 500 ml. I mean it might have consequences to this but there are ways you can work you out.

19. bavita
    October 9, 2012 at 6:17 pm (12 years ago)

They should ban over 16 ounces or 500 ml. That contains lots of suger!! poeple should stop drinking these drinks of junk not really junk, these drinks of badness.They could get lots of weight and get fat. I don’t know if poeple should go on a diet but that their problam not mine. Ok back to drinks of badness,the soda or what ever your drinking can cause serious problams like come on,and no the mayor should not get involved.
    If you are reading this and drinking soda or any other soda PUT down that drink. If you will not drink that badness that don’t worry about your weight but you can drink a little badness